2 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

A child psychologist is now saying that school drills are too traumatizing for children. We may not agree with what kids need to know, such as how to deal with a fire, bad storm, or active shooter. Sometimes you have to train or learn how to deal with the events life throws at you.

I guess according to psychologists, is better to have injured or worse, than mentally damaged. Same thing with punishment. Don't punish a kid because he wants to shoot up a school, let him do it, you don't want to mentally damage him.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

i can understand fire drills, even the duck and cover nuke drills they used to have back in the 50s. we used to have earthquake drills when i went through elementry up in anchorage. though i do question their effectiveness given the utter chaos that comes with an actual disaster. when in doubt, looting and cannibalism.

now we have active shooter drills, sometimes done jointly with various police departments. where you have armed (hopefully with mock weapons) officers doing their sweeps while kids pretend to cower in terror. probably taking it with the same lack of enthusiasm as any of the other drills. though in any such population of children you are likely to have enough oversensitives. you could allow parents to opt their children out of such drills and just let them get bullied later on for being snowflakes.

if i had to choose between physical and mental damage, i think id go for the former, because the latter is why we need active shooter drills in the first place.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 February 2020 - 01:45 PM.

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

kids should and need to be trained

this is to prepare them for the future

like don't walk in front of cars, look both ways before you cross the street, zip up your coat
don't hurt or kill people
treat others the way you want to be treated (also called the golden rule)

but hey I am a boomer
having schools being shot up was not a problem we had

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users