Mwo Is Nearing The End, Can You Guess When The Servers Are Shutting Down?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

The playerbase is slowly whittling down like armor being shot at with Mguns and people are moving on to different things until the release of MW5. In the last few weeks there has been so much free content and it seems PGI is handing out those freebies to entice more players to come into the game or just party until the big release of MW5. Another problem with the shrinking playerbase, is that it causes some weird match made games or seeing the same players every 1-2 games and eventually people will get tired of that.

Last year I thought the game would end mid fall to spring of 2020 and that thought still remains until there are some big changes. I'm not upset about the current state, but instead more optimistic of a potential MWO 2.0 should MW5 be more than 7.7/10.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

i'd not be surprised if mwo shut down the day of mw5's release. With nothing about mwo at the last mech con and the question of mwo's future development (if any) being directly put to Chris here on the fourms about how long mwo has he was only able to give a smoke screen answer. I just tell people if they are that worried about their investment in mwo to just make an external copy of the game data for legal reasons. I still have a copies of my email confirmation(s) for most the mechs I've bought.

Currently the only reason I haven't played mwo recently is the current job market where I live has tanked and I have no time for mwo or other games.

edit
With the 'big announcement of mech con past being mw5 I was hoping for mwo being ported to a newer engine or pgi wanting to build mwo v2. Instead we got the mw5 announcement thus I knew then mwo was going to die slowly and painfully. At least it won't die the horrible death that was Transverse.

Edited by JediPanther, 25 January 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#3 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 25 January 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

i'd not be surprised if mwo shut down the day of mw5's release.

7 days after Marauder II for Cbills
If it does happen on release I wish PGI would make 7 days of crazy changes.
100,000,000 of all currency and every player has access to every mech in the game
Day 1 All stats are reduced to Battletech level to follow lore (so weapons basically deal double damage)
Day 2 All weapon crits and tonnage are reduced by 90%
Day 3 50% Cooldown and Jumpjets are quadrupled
Day 4 Weight class vs weight class (Lights vs Assaults, Heavies vs Mediums)
Day 5 Increased slot and removal of ghost heat
Day 6 Knockdown makes a return even when it is very buggy
Day 7 Closed Beta effects and maps come back

#4 scadateck

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts
  • LocationIn the NOC

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

OMG another "the end is near" thread. Might as well complain about nascar... just pointless. Shut down the day of MW5 release? Really? It would be pretty dumb of PGI to offer MWO content with the MW5 pre-order then, right?

#5 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image

#6 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

I'm always down for some anti PGI circle jerk, but they won't take MWO down't until the server upkeep equals their revenue. That probably won't be for a good while, as long as people keep buying MechPacks and stuff.

And judging by the number of players I see in new Mechs after a MechPack launches, it doesn't seem like the support is gonna dry up soon.

#7 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

View Postscadateck, on 25 January 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

OMG another "the end is near" thread. Might as well complain about nascar... just pointless. Shut down the day of MW5 release? Really? It would be pretty dumb of PGI to offer MWO content with the MW5 pre-order then, right?

Calm down. It's not exactly pointless to talk about MWO shutting down, It has had a decent run and it has gone on for a long time. MW5 is coming along and after people experience it, not many people will want to play the same MWO anymore until a newer one is released. Why it's important to know the date is people can speculate what will happen once MW5 releases and MWO may recieve an engine port with the potential promises we were given long ago.

#8 scadateck

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts
  • LocationIn the NOC

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 25 January 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

Calm down. It's not exactly pointless to talk about MWO shutting down, It has had a decent run and it has gone on for a long time. MW5 is coming along and after people experience it, not many people will want to play the same MWO anymore until a newer one is released. Why it's important to know the date is people can speculate what will happen once MW5 releases and MWO may recieve an engine port with the potential promises we were given long ago.

An engine port? Don't hold your breath...

#9 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

View Postscadateck, on 25 January 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

An engine port? Don't hold your breath...

Like I said, "may" so I wont. We will also need to know how much longer we can play together on MWO until the servers get shut down like a clan mech surrounded by firestarters

#10 scadateck

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts
  • LocationIn the NOC

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 25 January 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Like I said, "may" so I wont. We will also need to know how much longer we can play together on MWO until the servers get shut down like a clan mech surrounded by firestarters

Why do you need to know? Fatalism? Nothing you or I can do will change when it's done, so why bother?

#11 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Postscadateck, on 25 January 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

Why do you need to know? Fatalism? Nothing you or I can do will change when it's done, so why bother?

Why do you not want to know? People who have bought mechs will want to know if there's a final day to play with them. Even when it ends on a predetermined date that doesn't mean events can't be hosted between players or PGI can do something interesting as a goodbye. Can we expect this to get a random shut down? a party? or nothing at all?

#12 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

I guess MWO will shutdown around 3067, when the Word of Blake whiteouts all the internets.

#13 Mykor

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Well if MWO did come to an end I don’t see it happening till sometime after MW5 release we’ll into 2020 the earliest. That said I do hope they are or will develope a MWO v2 and in doing so reward those loyal players that had accounts and especially purchases over the existence of the original MWO with some nice mechs to start new version with maybe even let us carry some of our MWO inventory. I don’t expect them to let players from MWO carry over every mech from original game but maybe let us select a certain number based on percentage of your inventory. For instance, allowing us to take 25% of inventory so if you currently own 100 mechs total 25 will carry over. Would be nice, probably won’t happen .... can dream though :P

#14 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

View Postscadateck, on 25 January 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

Why do you care so badly?

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I would guess MWO will die when the license terms expire, or can no longer be negotiated. I imagine revenue from new mech packs and such could keep the servers running and keep some staff employed.

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 25 January 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

i'd not be surprised if mwo shut down the day of mw5's release.

LOL.

You surely are trolling.

#17 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

[mod]Due to unconstructive topic,
this thread has been moved to Kaetetôã.[/mod]

#18 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Whereas I never played mechwarrior 4 much online, I did play mechwarrior 3 alot. Using that as an example, there are far more players here then mechwarrior 3 at the end.

It will be interesting to see the player base after MW5 release. When Mechwarrior 4 came out, it probably cut the MW3 base by at least 2/3 or so. (even though IMO MW3 was a better game)

#19 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

Unless we see a huge flow with mw5 the game has 1.5 to 2 years based on the charts.

#20 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

This is probably the most productive thread you have ever started.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users