Hit R

51 replies to this topic

#41 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:18 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 20 February 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

This comparison has often come up in the past, but I think comparing LRM boats to artillery is inaccurate. This game has artillery, it's called artillery.

Posted Image

#42 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:10 AM

This comparison has often come up in the past, but I think comparing LRM boats to artillery is inaccurate. This game has artillery, it's called artillery. And it works like artillery does in real life (except more accurate and less powerful). Artillery usually works from outside the close engagement area, and doesn't take anything away from the infantry up front, but only adds to their firepower.

An LRM guy is literally a guy in your humvee (dropship) that refuses to carry a gun and only carries grenades. He eats the rations, he drinks the water, he uses up the space, but he will not fight like the rest of his teammates, he will only throw grenades over your head. Is it better to have him than nobody? Sure, but you'd much rather have 5 guys with firearms in your truck than 4 plus 1 like that.

Your comparison to humvee and crazy grenadier is the one I can't argue. That's because I closed my eyes and saw 5 grenadiers riding humvee at full speed through battlefield and throwing grenades on all sides. So I can't argue because if I'm gonna close my eyes again and see something like that I'm gonna go loco. Of course staying behind the team with LRM boat is pointless. Like usually pointless, cause that's also depends on map, team, and the way the match goes. If I go LRM's I play like a swarm. I'm a wasp queen and LRM's are my wasps. I'm trying to be quick, I bite, fly, sting and buzz. I don't like heavy, bulky LRM boat. But... I played some FP yesterday, think you were in some of those matches too? And I regret that we didn't have at least one good LRM boat. Think it would be very handy. One LRM boat for a team is the way I would gladly go. It's like you have too many LRM boats - it's bad. You don't havy any - it's bad too.

This game has artillery, it's called artillery.

You have been nominated for Catch 22 medal.

Edited by Bistrorider, 21 February 2020 - 04:56 AM.

#43 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 20 February 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

I would like to know why LRM damage is less noble than pew-pew damage. I guess it is like a grumpy old knight pissing and moaning about crossbows and matchlocks and how Real Men fight with lances and swords. From horseback. In the rain, uphill both ways.

No, it's like doing 20 points of pinpoint damage to cherry red enemy torso and killing him instantly is much better for you and your team than doing 20 points of LRM damage in four 5-point groups that damage his left arm, right torso and both legs and leave the enemy 'Mech capable of fighting, providing ECM or deploying UAV, etc.

#44 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:45 AM

LOS artemis locks are actually pretty gucci, and so are atms. I'd give it 2/3 damage

IDF lrm damage is worth about half damage due to spread, especially on big tube count launchers

#45 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostBistrorider, on 21 February 2020 - 04:10 AM, said:

It's like you have too many LRM boats - it's bad.
You don't havy any - it's bad too Dakka/BrawlHeaven.

fixed that for you. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 21 February 2020 - 03:55 PM.

#46 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

I love how people on these forums make the comment about putting a circle in a box and clicking a button taking no skill when direct fire in this game is literally putting a circle in a box and clicking a button.

Then we get the tired old trope about lurmers in the backfield when this is absolute BS.

Then this nonsense about lrm damage being spread all over a mech not pinpoint. Tell me how MRM's, SRMs, lasers, RACS, UACs, an LBX are pinpoint but you never hear this argument being made against them.

Then the simple fact that this has been hijacked by this same stupid conversation about lrms when that has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted about.
This thread had absolutely nothing to do with LRMS.
I got dinged in here by one of you for a conduct violation for saying it had nothing to do with lrms.
If that's the way we are going to do things say lrm one more time in here I dare you.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 23 February 2020 - 07:33 PM.

#47 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 23 February 2020 - 07:32 PM, said:

I love how people on these forums make the comment about putting a circle in a box and clicking a button taking no skill when direct fire in this game is literally putting a circle in a box and clicking a button.

Then we get the tired old trope about lurmers in the backfield when this is absolute BS.

Then this nonsense about lrm damage being spread all over a mech not pinpoint. Tell me how MRM's, SRMs, lasers, RACS, UACs, an LBX are pinpoint but you never hear this argument being made against them.

Then the simple fact that this has been hijacked by this same stupid conversation about lrms when that has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted about.
I got dinged in here by one of you for a conduct violation for saying it had nothing to do with lrms.
If that's the way we are going to do things say lrm one more time in here I dare you.

Your first and third paragraph sort of answer each other. All direct fire weapons spread if you don't aim them well. How well you aim makes a big difference in how well a direct fire weapon works, where as a perfectly aimed or just barely correctly aimed lock on does not.

#48 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:17 PM

Laser direct fire weapons require precise tracking in order to hold the weapon on a specific location.

Ballistic direct fire weapons require tracking and leading in order to put every shot in a specific location.

Lock on weapons only require very loose tracking to lock and score hits. They inherently require far less skill to use.

It's a stereotype for a reason. In fact it is the reason they changed the lock on mechanics for lrms to make LOS operation stronger.

IS uacs other than 20s are PPFLD, there is only one projectile. None of the other weapons you listed have ever been described as "pinpoint." Even though they aren't pinpoint you can at least, depending on skill, focus specific components.

#49 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:18 PM

FYI a lot of people criticize MRMs because they sandblast enemies away like lrms or streaks, rather than kill enemies fast.

Also, aimed correctly IS uacs are close enough to pinpoint.

#50 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

View PostBrauer, on 23 February 2020 - 08:18 PM, said:

FYI a lot of people criticize MRMs because they sandblast enemies away like lrms or streaks, rather than kill enemies fast.

Also, aimed correctly IS uacs are close enough to pinpoint.

..and yet, you can still aim MRM to go ~mostly~ where you want them to;
whereas lock-on-lurmz (atms / streaks) just hit whatever they want, mostly.
so still more pinpoint than lurmz @Johny

#51 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 24 February 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

..and yet, you can still aim MRM to go ~mostly~ where you want them to;
whereas lock-on-lurmz (atms / streaks) just hit whatever they want, mostly.
so still more pinpoint than lurmz @Johny

Depends on range. A lot of people mrm farm from 400-500. That's just sandblasting at that point.

#52 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

View PostBrauer, on 24 February 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

Depends on range. A lot of people mrm farm from 400-500. That's just sandblasting at that point.

true, just sayin you ~can~ aim them if you want to, where-as you can't with lock-on-stuff.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 24 February 2020 - 02:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users