Hit R

51 replies to this topic

#1 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

I know you hear lurmers asking you to do this but do it for yourself, it's information that can keep you alive.

Let me give you a scenario, I run a KTO18 with 4x SSRM6 and a tag but need to throw something in the CT to get the barn door bonus so instead of the usual rocket launcher I throw a lrm5 in their so I can pop shots at range early. I constantly get guys in lights running up at me trying to get inside lrm range just to find out the hard way Im really a streak boat. Kinda the same scenario with my Orion IIC A, yeah I have 4 lrm15s but I also have a UAC20 so get people running up trying to focus the lrm side of my mech.

Now if these guys were always on the other side I would keep my mouth shut and enjoy the free lunch but next match they might well be on my team.

Just hit R and you won't make these kind of mistakes.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 18 February 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

I hate the current state of the game where your average potato relies on the computer guided weapons overly much, and yet, I still advocate for hitting R and actually targeting what you're shooting at, just for the effect that the paper doll will let you know where to easily kill/cripple the enemy.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

The only lrm boat I willingly hit R for are the catapult A1s because they have not even a single E for tag but I yell at them anyway about uavs and bap. I expect all other lrm boats to have a tag/uav. Although I could just ***** at those A1's for not using five-six tons on a narc and 2t narc ammo. Until you run the a1 with only lrms you won't learn how frustrating getting your own locks can be even with all the extra bap,mk1tc,uav,max sensors but no narcs.

Now if you really want to make lrms one of the most frustrating weapons ever and put yourself from never ever using any lrm again just make a lrm only locust. Sure you have the speed to stay at that magic number of 181m but can you avoid all that enemy fire?

#4 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 18 February 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

The only lrm boat I willingly hit R for are the catapult A1s because they have not even a single E for tag but I yell at them anyway about uavs and bap. I expect all other lrm boats to have a tag/uav. Although I could just ***** at those A1's for not using five-six tons on a narc and 2t narc ammo. Until you run the a1 with only lrms you won't learn how frustrating getting your own locks can be even with all the extra bap,mk1tc,uav,max sensors but no narcs.

Now if you really want to make lrms one of the most frustrating weapons ever and put yourself from never ever using any lrm again just make a lrm only locust. Sure you have the speed to stay at that magic number of 181m but can you avoid all that enemy fire?

When I run lrms I am content getting my own locks but I almost never run lrms as my main weapon, those glory days of 1000 damage with a KTO 18 are gone.

#5 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

*le sigh*

#6 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

no

#7 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

also incoming:

Posted Image

#8 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

Because only refined enlightened gentlemen run streaks and still need people to get locks for them.

#9 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,068 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

View PostJohny Rocket, on 18 February 2020 - 03:00 PM, said:

When I run lrms I am content getting my own locks but I almost never run lrms as my main weapon, those glory days of 1000 damage with a KTO 18 are gone.

how many kills and assists? When I run lrms I'm not giving a dam about 1k damage. I want to suppress the enemy back into cover giving the big guns time to get into their alpha-and-dead range. When multiple targets are about under a uav I try and take out the enemy ecms then go for damaged open mechs. I've had many times an assault thank me for lrm-ing off a light that was butt humping it.

#10 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

If you can manage the ultra difficult mechanic of putting a circle in a square then you can manage your own locks... God forbid we ask you to have to aim with non locking weapons lol.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

People who don't hit R have no business being anywhere outside of the fifth pilot tier. It's sad to even debate about the reasons to lock on to a target. It's like people who don't use the command wheel to see their opponent's position as they duke behind cover. It's such an obvious advantage and yet... Some people just don't do it. Ah well.

#12 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:01 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 February 2020 - 10:23 PM, said:

People who don't hit R have no business being anywhere outside of the fifth pilot tier.

You know them, getting killed by a mech with a big gun and a red, armorless section where the big gun sits or the ones that will throw matches because they allways fire on the center, even if its full armored and legs are near gone.

View Post-Winter, on 18 February 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

God forbid we ask you to have to aim with non locking weapons lol.

Aiming at a mech? Its more spray and pray ...
You should aim at critical or weak sections of a mech,
but you cant see them without using r.

Edited by Kroete, 19 February 2020 - 04:12 AM.

#13 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

All I can do is LOL (or cry) at this thread. I hope folks know that this topic has been posted over and over since at least beta for exactly the same reasons :)

Some (of the huge number) of possible links:

September 2014: https://mwomercs.com...t-lock-targets/
December 2015: https://mwomercs.com...your-own-locks/

However, the point is very valid. Everyone should lock their targets - the information you get on loadouts and weak points is far more valuable to you than trying to make others on your team less effective because they choose to use LRMs.

P.S. The most fun I've had with LRMs was a MAD with TAG and back up lasers. It worked a charm in a direct fire role suppressing opposing mechs when they tried to push out of cover. Most of the time, they couldn't tell where the LRMs were coming from and would usually retreat into cover. By swapping targets it was possible to keep two or three targets thinking twice about running out. (This was quite a while ago though and I don't know what balance changes might have been made since).

#14 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:10 AM

The R key is your friend.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#15 MadBomberMan

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

Can someone please shoot my Lurms for me?

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostMadBomberMan, on 19 February 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

Can someone please shoot my Lurms for me?

Imagine the game being in such a state where players actually think they are sticking it to da LRM man by deliberately not acquiring targeting information about their opponent. And consequently, not using the command wheel for its most over powered feature.

#17 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 19 February 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

Imagine the game being in such a state where players actually think they are sticking it to da LRM man by deliberately not acquiring targeting information about their opponent. And consequently, not using the command wheel for its most over powered feature.

last time we had the command-wheel discussion, part of it at least was considered cheating, so... Posted Image
yeah, there's baddies and there's ~baddies~

#18 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

You don't need a lock to spot.

#19 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

View PostBlaizerP, on 19 February 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

You don't need a lock to spot.

ofc not. we we're just on the command-wheel and I remembered that we had a thread about spotting = OP and stuff ;)

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 19 February 2020 - 02:49 PM.

#20 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:57 PM

Man I always use that thing as soon as it's off cooldown!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users