Heat Stays Stuck Above 85%

33 replies to this topic

#1 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:56 AM

So, my first real complaint about the game.

My Thanatos 5S with 2x AC and 2x ML all on single triggers fires maybe 2 shots a peice then overheats, and DOES NOT cool down despite heat efficiency being 1.28. Using cool shot barely did anything.

We were at MIning Collective and basically overheated twice after 5 shots, override, waiting 2 minutes not helping my team watching my heat barely go from 93% to 85% in those 2 minutes. Firing one AC20 overheated me again.

What kind of ******** is this?

#2 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

Sounds like you triggered ghost heat on the AC20s when you fired both at once multiple times. If you want further feedback you're going to have to share all the details of your build and your skill tree wouldn't hurt either. There is a heat bug in game, but this could be human error.

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

It's a game feature. In a random once in a while drop you get terrible heat dissipation. Adds complexity to this thinking mans shooter

#4 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:10 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 19 February 2020 - 10:07 AM, said:

It's a game feature. In a random once in a while drop you get terrible heat dissipation. Adds complexity to this thinking mans shooter

Yeah, the complexity is having to wonder "Did I potato or is this a bug?"

#5 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

I can assure you it was not simultaneous fire.

If there is a random heat dissipation delta in the game, that is horrible game design. A completely unneccessary variable which can ruin someone's pursuit of determining if their build is functional or in their playstyle.

Is there other nonsense like random critical Chance multipliers? Random armor perks?

Edited by _Magno_, 19 February 2020 - 11:09 AM.

#6 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

it's a bug, they don't know how to fix it

#7 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 19 February 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

I can assure you it was not simultaneous fire.

If there is a random heat dissipation delta in the game, that is horrible game design. A completely unneccessary variable which can ruin someone's pursuit of determining if their build is functional or in their playstyle.

Is there other nonsense like random critical Chance multipliers? Random armor perks?
These people are pulling your leg, or are being humorously obtuse, it's a bug.

Welcome to MWO!

#8 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:40 AM

If (Mech Heat Disipation < expected heat dissipation plus map adjustments)
Mech Heat Disipation = expected heat dissipation plus map adjustments
Else
Leave alone

If (Mech heat rate increase > expected heat rate generation plus map adjustments)
Cap Heat Gen to X
Else
Normal Heat Gen

It can't be harder than that.

One's mech heat gen and disippation is not affected by other mechs aside from flamers.
So unless PGI is purposefully adjusting heat rate and dissipation by Company composition for balance purposes, even then, they should be able to adjust or cap things in the match.

#9 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 19 February 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

If (Mech Heat Disipation &lt; expected heat dissipation plus map adjustments)
Mech Heat Disipation = expected heat dissipation plus map adjustments
Else
Leave alone

If (Mech heat rate increase &gt; expected heat rate generation plus map adjustments)
Cap Heat Gen to X
Else
Normal Heat Gen

It can't be harder than that.

One's mech heat gen and disippation is not affected by other mechs aside from flamers.
So unless PGI is purposefully adjusting heat rate and dissipation by Company composition for balance purposes, even then, they should be able to adjust or cap things in the match.

There's a heat bug that can occur at random and causes your heat dissipation to drop to something like 1% per second or something incredibly low. It sounds like you may have been unfortunate enough to encounter it here.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

Welcome to The Heat Bug.

#11 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:18 PM

it's a feature :)

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:21 PM

Flamers see some use yet. I made a fire ant all flamer locust for the lol. It lasted a few seconds before frying itself with over ride.

#13 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 19 February 2020 - 01:21 PM, said:

Flamers see some use yet. I made a fire ant all flamer locust for the lol. It lasted a few seconds before frying itself with over ride.

I can't ever get a Flamer build to work in this game. You have to time the flamers correctly and hope they shoot and overheat themselves.

9/10 times I end up frying myself.

#14 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

View Post_Magno_, on 19 February 2020 - 04:20 PM, said:

I can't ever get a Flamer build to work in this game. You have to time the flamers correctly and hope they shoot and overheat themselves.

9/10 times I end up frying myself.

They are more viable with fewer opponents on the field or when you can isolate a target. They can be used to drastically reduce the dps of your target and as such can be op in 1v1s or 2v2s (though I believe they are not as effective in Solaris) and can be good in scouting (which is either dead or hardly ever activated), and in specific comp scenarios.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

The heat bug is believed to be a desync/error on server side, resetting the dissipation rate to some low default.

There used to be two bugs, this one and another one that was a desync between the client and the server with how the heatbar was not reflecting the correct amount of heat. So even though the heat bar may show 20% filled but you were approaching the max 100% of of the heat bar, the server would let you know with the flashing overheating and the overheating soundwave.

There is another heat bug, which is even rarer. Being able to fire non-stop with any consequences, as if the game set that one mech for that one match with a no-heat flag, or corruption which generated an error in the code that multiplied the dissipation rate for that mech/game.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 February 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#16 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:22 PM

There are two sides to this heat bug. The "bad" one you've just experienced. It doesn't dissipate heat like your mech's supposed to. The "good" one dissipates heat very rapidly and you can keep alpha-striking over and over. It seems that the "bad" one is reported a lot while the "good" one is kept under wraps.

#17 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 19 February 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

There are two sides to this heat bug. The "bad" one you've just experienced. It doesn't dissipate heat like your mech's supposed to. The "good" one dissipates heat very rapidly and you can keep alpha-striking over and over. It seems that the "bad" one is reported a lot while the "good" one is kept under wraps.

I don't think its kept under wraps as much as it just goes unnoticed. I mean, if you overheat all the time and can't fire at all you kinda notice it. But if you just keep alphaing there is really no reason to notice smth is wrong, unless you are of course good enough to understand that it shouldn't be possible.

#18 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

welcome to the heat bug

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:06 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 February 2020 - 12:42 AM, said:

I don't think its kept under wraps as much as it just goes unnoticed. I mean, if you overheat all the time and can't fire at all you kinda notice it. But if you just keep alphaing there is really no reason to notice smth is wrong, unless you are of course good enough to understand that it shouldn't be possible.

I've experienced the "bad" heat bug twice in the same match in FW once and a few times in QP. The "good" one has happened only once for me when piloting the Top Dog. That match really was fun and I felt evil for vomiting ~1.2k damage and the mech wasn't even fully skilled and had only 1 arty strike Posted Image .

#20 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

just got this bs again, seems every other day now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users