For Those Who Wish To Call Out Targets.....

32 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

DO. NOT. CALL. OUT. EVERY. TARGET. THAT. YOU. RANDOMLY. SHOOT. AT. LIKE. AN. EEJIT!

I've heard so many people nowadays just going.. "Echo Hellbringer", "Hotel Direwolf", "Kilo Blood Asp", "Alpha Cougar", "Charlie Arctic Wolf", "Delta Orion" inside 10 seconds. Just stay off comms.

#2 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 21 February 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

DO. NOT. CALL. OUT. EVERY. TARGET. THAT. YOU. RANDOMLY. SHOOT. AT. LIKE. AN. EEJIT!

I've heard so many people nowadays just going.. "Echo Hellbringer", "Hotel Direwolf", "Kilo Blood Asp", "Alpha Cougar", "Charlie Arctic Wolf", "Delta Orion" inside 10 seconds. Just stay off comms.

But aren't we playing I Spy?

#3 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

At least they are hitting R =)

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:04 AM

You are playing with PUGs, you know ...

Somebody told them that calling out targets is a good thing, so they are doing that. Posted Image

#5 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:05 AM

It's not as bad as the self-serving drop callers. At least when they're randomly calling mechs they're informing you of what targets are on the field.

I had one match (Polar-Domination) and almost the entire the term was on the enemies tale and we were focused on an isolated Annihilator ('Cause Assaults can't Nascar). The next thing DC's screaming "Focus Maddog. Focus Maddog!" where was MDD? 500m away, with streaks, brawling with the drop caller.

It's like the guys who stay silent and only pipe up once they're dead, they either complain or only call the target they engaged hoping someone else will secure a KMDD/Assist for them.

If you're identifying targets/weakneses, fine, if you're going to call attacks pay attention to the rest of your team.

#6 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

For me the best are the guys who want to sound cool, but don't actually know call-signs, so they just sound like idiots and make me want to headbutt them.

"Indigo, focus Indigo!"

I don't see any frakking crayons out here...

#7 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

^ I don't use the nato phonetic alphabet specifically to trigger people like you.

#8 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:24 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 22 February 2020 - 08:20 AM, said:

^ I don't use the nato phonetic alphabet specifically to trigger people like you.

Well Proto, I've never heard you speak, but I know how you play, so it likely wouldn't trigger me, as I know you'd actually be shooting at things that should be shot at. The same guys making up call-signs are usually the ones who are focusing on the LRM Atlas or the stick Anni instead of priority targets anyway.

#9 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

View PostKodyn, on 22 February 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

For me the best are the guys who want to sound cool, but don't actually know call-signs, so they just sound like idiots and make me want to headbutt them.

"Indigo, focus Indigo!"

https://www.h2g2.com..._entry/A8245910

while I don't like it either, specifically "Indigo" was in use and/or is still. thank the brits for that (as well as bad food, horrible teeth and so on. oh, and they still haven't set sails with their island and went away from europe, either ;) )

#10 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 22 February 2020 - 06:05 AM, said:

It's not as bad as the self-serving drop callers. At least when they're randomly calling mechs they're informing you of what targets are on the field.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Guilty as charged Frag.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

OP you might do better if you say what players should do

be forward in your thinking

#12 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:04 AM

View PostKodyn, on 22 February 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

"Indigo, focus Indigo!"

As long as the word used isn't also used for a cap point and is intuitive (don't say focus "know" or "pneumonia" or something) who cares? There's no need to memorize a specific phonetic alphabet, and those change at times anyway.

#13 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

None of this is as annoying as being up 11-8 and instead of capping they keep chasing the last guy and lose the game to caps.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

I simply say or write "Kodiak open CT" and I am okay with it.

And it is easier than attempting to remember if "B" is "Baker", "Bravo", or "Beta" ...

Edited by martian, 22 February 2020 - 11:32 AM.

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

View PostMechWarrior2795013, on 22 February 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

None of this is as annoying as being up 11-8 and instead of capping they keep chasing the last guy and lose the game to caps.

11-8? Try 12-3!

Posted Image

#16 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

LOL, that is a winner. Never seen one of those personally.

#17 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Yup you call targets in bad positions,Targets with weak or open armor spots,enemy's that are flanking your position and or enemy's with dangerous load out that should be taken out first

Edited by SirSmokes, 22 February 2020 - 12:53 PM.

#18 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 22 February 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

Yup you call targets in bad positions,Targets with weak or open armor spots,enemy's that are flanking your position and or enemy's with dangerous load out that should be taken out first

Just call every one:

#19 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 22 February 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

Just call every one:

Those are just the calls that are helpful to the team. Problem with calling is in the public games yea if your on a team working together with one or two people are making the calls not a problem

Edited by SirSmokes, 22 February 2020 - 01:22 PM.

#20 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 22 February 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

OP you might do better if you say what players should do

be forward in your thinking

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 22 February 2020 - 06:44 PM, said:

I hope Im being helpful but, is there a better way to communicate all this?

Just spot a lonely assault that's trying to keep up desperately with its team. Call that target out to kill it quickly with your lance. As for the situations (rare situations) when your team is in a good position and has a line on incoming enemies around the corner, I'd prefer calling out A target so the rest of the team can hopefully shoot just that one instead of spreading damage to everyone. I've seen more often than not that when people get shot at by multiple mechs, they try to back up and cause a nice traffic jam.

For e.g., I've instructed so many times on Hibernal that the best spot for us would be to make our way to the C4 crashed dropship area, take up the high ground close to the centre and let the enemies come around from the narrow low ground from the side of that dropship, causing a severe bottleneck for themselves. When the team does listen, I'll keep calling out targets that peek around the corner. I'll also warn my team about the pesky JJ mechs that try to come around from the top so that our skirmishers can attack them quickly. What would be unhelpful on my part would be to call out targets that aren't even trying to shoot us at that moment. Only when we have a good advantage, say something like a 3 kill advantage, I'll call out the weak spots on enemies that are trying to run so that the entire team can kill it quickly with the help of our skirmishers and brawlers. It'd be detrimental to call our targets that are trying to flee into the canyon on the otherside only to find that teammates in assault and heavy mechs chase that one enemy and abandon our power position early on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users