#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:23 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 22 February 2020 - 10:06 PM, said:

I still think of some stuff in the classic battletech way (engine rating / mech weight = how many hexes it can move x 10.8 = kph) and running speed is always x1.5 of that.

Ah, OK, I never played classic BT.

Thanks!
CFC Conky

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:46 PM

The first rule when playing MWO is that it is nothing like the classic Battle Tech.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:04 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 22 February 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

heavies 4/6(300STD), and assaults 3/5(300STD). Put the weapons and armor on (trying to keep them within +/- 90 meters of each other and not mixing PPCs and lasers) then increase the engine size and adjust the heatsinks.

There are a few exceptions, especially on the IS side. For e.g., the Grasshopper and Black Knight have MASSIVE CT so they can be XL'ed quite easily. Warhammers are slightly similar and can be XL'ed safely as well. The 9 MPL Black Knight 6B with an XL 360 is a sturdy and deadly fast laser driller with 22 DHS to keep it very cool. You can even ignore the ghost heat on occasion and alpha all 9 MPLs. Unless the weapon takes up all of the slots or if you need to stuff Heatsinks in, LFE is the way to go for IS Assault mechs.

On the Clan side, you could use STD engine on a few Assault mechs like the Marauder IIC with 5 ERLL so that you can go zombie mode pretty well.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 23 February 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

Should I ever XL a heavy like my Orions or keep them at LFE or STD?

My experience says that XL on the Orion is not especially good idea, unless you play it as LRM-boat or sniper.

#6 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

You put a lot of points into Operations just to barely boost the efficiency of 11 DHS. I'd cut that way back and put points into more armor/structure and coolshots.

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 23 February 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

You put a lot of points into Operations just to barely boost the efficiency of 11 DHS. I'd cut that way back and put points into more armor/structure and coolshots.

Always stack your skill points on armour structure quirks when you have them. Their calculations include the bonus points.

100base + 15% = 115 total
100base + 20 quirk = 120 total
100base + 20quirk + 15% = 138 total

Edited by VonBruinwald, 23 February 2020 - 01:34 PM.

#8 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

there's not much to be gained by going with an XL on an IS orion. you're generally going to want large ballistics and/or missiles in the side torsos, which limits you to LFE or standard anyway.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:25 PM

No, never the Orion 'cause the ST hitbox, especially the left ST sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyone see's an Orion, no matter whether IS or Clan, they go for the left ST to destroy most of (if not all of) the missiles it can carry. An IS XL is pretty much insta-death.

For future reference, check these out....

https://drive.google...1FIdmJPTkk/edit

https://drive.google...UpBRGNIeVU/edit

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

View PostBLOODWOLF333, on 22 February 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

And this is what I have come up with for the Wolfhound & Griffins I own; I want light mechs to do at least be a 6/9 (so WLF has a min engine rating of 210XL to start with), mediums 5/8(280XL), heavies 4/6(300STD), and assaults 3/5(300STD). Put the weapons and armor on (trying to keep them within +/- 90 meters of each other and not mixing PPCs and lasers) then increase the engine size and adjust the heatsinks.
Do not start with an engine rating as the center of your build. Start with the weapons, ammo, cooling and then adjust for an engine that can carry that load.

I know lights and mediums I should probably always have 100% leg armor but, heavies and assaults I can trim or transfer some of the leg armor around right? Since they have so much and will free-up some weight if I need it.
Depends on the mech. Some of the less mobile assaults should have full leg armor because of how vulnerable target these legs are.

Wolfhound "Grinner" WLF-GR
MPLSRx5+ECM 280XL
GRINNER
LPLSR+ERMLSRx4+ECM 225XL
LLSRx3+ECM 225XL
ERLLSRx3+ECM 225XL
You're mucking around with the weapon acronyms. It's MPL, LPL, ERML, LL, ERLL.

Generally, your first build is the closest to optimum (but NOT entirely optimal) due to running the highest effective alpha. Your other builds compromise on speed to run weapon loads your poor WLF simply can't sustain - and doesn't have the energy range quirks to be an effective ERLL trader.
Strongly advised to read https://grimmechs.is...des?c=Wolfhound

-Firepower(40) -Survival(16) -Operations(20) -Sensors(13) -Auxiliary(2)
-Max Heat +15%
-Heat Dissipation +10%
-Heat -10.5%
-Cooldown -7.5%
-Laser Duration -15%
-Firepower(40) -Survival(16) -Operations(20) -Sensors(15)[Adv Zoom]
Use https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/ to share your skill trees. Giving us point counts is useless because we have little to no idea what nodes you've selected.
I can tell, though, that you're building your Aux tree wrong.
Nearly all mechs (except for LRM boats perhaps) will benefit from double strikes unless you really need to optimize with those skill points elsewhere.
Likewise, nearly all mechs (if built properly) will benefit from double coolshots.

Griffin GRF-1S(C)
MRM40+MRM10+MPLSRx3+JJx2 280XL
MRM40+MRM10+MLSRx3+JJx3 300XL
MRM40+MRM10+ERMLSRx3+JJx2 300XL
GRF-1S(C)
Bad ammo placement (USE YOUR HEAD), short on ammo, missile torso kind of vulnerable.
You're also underarmoring your cockpit which isn't such a great idea in a mech with a large and clearly indicated cockpit hitbox.

Try this on for size: https://mech.nav-alp...9bbd24d9_GRF-1S

ERPPC+LRM20+LRM15+JJx2 280XL
GRF-1S(C)
-Firepower(40) -Survival(16) -Operations(20) -Sensors(4) -Auxiliary(11)[Adv Zoom]

Advanced Zoom is worthless for LRMs. You're taking LRMs with no Artemis, no Active Probe, no Tag and a woefully insufficient ammo supply (for your tube count it should be ~7 tons by my reckoning).
I can already tell you're not not running Target Decay, which means your mech is going to be losing locks left and right.
This is not a viable build.

Griffin "Sparky" GRF-1E
MPLSRx6+JJx5 360XL
SPARKY
-Firepower(44) -Survival(16) -Operations(20) -Auxiliary(15)
-Max Heat +15%
-Heat Dissipation +10%
-Heat -20.5%
-Cooldown -12.5%
-Laser Duration -15%

IMO you shouldn't be putting so much into cooldowns on a pure energy boat, because the main limiters to your damage output will be your heat generation and cooling, not recycle rate (also, each point of laser duration is roughly equal to another point in cooldown, just FYI).

LFE. Most IS heavy mechs should not be using XLs in the first place due to having very XL-unfriendly hitboxes.
Also refer to https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

Edited by Horseman, 24 February 2020 - 10:58 PM.

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

Geometry/Hardpoints -> Quirks -> Available loadouts -> Agility

Then I look at sustained DPS vs burst damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users