Are "campers" The New "lurmers"?

146 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:27 AM

So, I'm sure you've all seen these type of players lately..

You might have even heard of a few..

They stay waaaaaay back, sometimes even in or behind the spawn points, using extreme range weapons only, doing most nothing all match, yet, somehow have more damage than most other players.

They seem to contribute very little, yet the numbers say otherwise. Just like an bad Lurmer.

Also, they don't share armor.. just like lurmers..

And somehow, they don't get anyway near the level of salt that even a front-line, armor sharing lurmer gets?

Opinions?

#2 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:32 AM

*Looks at OP's location and signature
Hmmmmmm…..

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:46 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 24 February 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

And somehow, they don't get anyway near the level of salt that even a front-line, armor sharing lurmer gets?

Opinions?

They do get the salt. A lot. It's just that the LRMers have used up more and the salt has to be rationed now in a dead game. Posted Image

Edit :- Oh, another thing. While I do find these boundary-huggers annoying, at least they don't need the rest of the team to do half the work for them i.e., provide locks and often times, when the game is deadlocked and it's 2-vs-2 or something, they do end up winning the match for you. LRMers can't.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 24 February 2020 - 03:49 AM.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:58 AM

If you mean users of ERL...

That end up carrying team with high damage in Faction Play... This is nothing new. Been going on for a while because if you can aim - ERL is a sure fire way to deal damage a take 0 in return against players who bring trashcan builds to FP.

Like, all LRMboats, ALL the time.

#5 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:41 AM

You avoided the word "sniping". That strategy literally everyone on earth has heard of.

#6 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:01 AM

As jjm1 said, the term is sniper, not camper. And when said sniper puts up more damage than all of Charlie lance combined you are placing blame for the loss on the wrong players.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:03 AM

There's always a risk of the fight moving away from your camping position, which can be a bit of a disaster if you end up with nothing to shoot at. But if an ERLL camper gets a high damage score then clearly they were in the right place. They're better than lurmers though, because their damage is far more directed and their breath doesn't smell.

#8 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:55 AM

There are two types of QP snipers in this game:

1. The highly competent ones (names we generally know), who will bring sudden death to NASCARing opponents and might well clutch out a tight match for me in the end. I see them off in a corner of the map, know what they are doing and also know they will likely carry their weight and then some.
2. The ones who try to emulate #1 and do it badly. Now, those who continue to try this and fail repeatedly are not likely to be much use upfront anyway. Sure, it would be a little more pug-armor to use....but if they can’t carry their weight sniping and yet continue to try (without perfecting their other needed skills first), they aren’t the smartest or most skilled lot anyway. Plus their low numbers should show them how little they contributed and talk them into trying something else. Lrm’ers often mid-range damage numbers give them an over-inflated view of their contribution....and when the numbers are really bad they make excuses like (map, no locks, ams, etc) and so they persist in their ways.

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:00 AM

Mention of camping behind spawns leads me to believe you are talking Primo and friends, who have been doing that lately in FP.

Those guys are a whole other topic.

#10 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:18 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 24 February 2020 - 07:00 AM, said:

Mention of camping behind spawns leads me to believe you are talking Primo and friends, who have been doing that lately in FP.

Those guys are a whole other topic.

Those guys totally get as much if not more crap than lurmers

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:32 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 24 February 2020 - 08:18 AM, said:

Those guys totally get as much if not more crap than lurmers

They deserve it too. They're just as toxic as the OP.

They will literally throw the game if you stay out of their fire lane, because they refuse to move from their spot in zimbabwe.

That said tho, unlike your average sand bagging leech lock auto aim aficionado they aren't attempting to completely conceal their location. They want you to chase so they can play kitey-man.

So they're maybe a little less annoying than a circle gets the square commander actively running from the group, but not by much. They certainly expose more.

But then theres also your badveds who try to emulate this behavior but are bad at it and that just makes it worse.

#12 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 February 2020 - 12:32 PM, said:

They deserve it too. They're just as toxic as the OP.

They will literally throw the game if you stay out of their fire lane, because they refuse to move from their spot in zimbabwe.

That said tho, unlike your average sand bagging leech lock auto aim aficionado they aren't attempting to completely conceal their location. They want you to chase so they can play kitey-man.

So they're maybe a little less annoying than a circle gets the square commander actively running from the group, but not by much. They certainly expose more.

But then theres also your badveds who try to emulate this behavior but are bad at it and that just makes it worse.

They're just tactically inflexible. Primo decides what they are going to do before the drop begins, and they stick to it no matter what the enemy is doing. If they decide they're going to setup with max range erll with 1500m lanes in all directions (it might be a spot nobody ever even goes to), that's what they're doing, if they decide to sit in the garage on river city with 5 dual heavy gauss mechs, they will sit there until the end of the drop even when the enemy ignores them. I used to think they're a**holes, but then I watched some of their drops on his stream and I realized they're just bad at situational awareness and reacting to enemy movement.

#13 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

wait..

a thread on people staying uselessly behind the team, doing jack sh*t

by Vel'

Posted Image

#14 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

Not reacting to the enemy team because it might jeopardize your farm is exactly the same as 900 meter ditch occupation from a sand bagging leech lock auto aim aficionado.

They absolutely are ********.

#15 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 February 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

Not reacting to the enemy team because it might jeopardize your farm is exactly the same as 900 meter ditch occupation from a sand bagging leech lock auto aim aficionado.

They absolutely are ********.

Yeah, in both cases the players are just bad. Some people who are just incompetent, some think they're good by loading 6000 missiles into a supernova and getting their 800dmg before being overrun 6:1, others think they're best FP players by putting 4 brawling atlases into the hpg basement and think they're clever as the remaining team gets to fight 8v12. Bads are bad, what can you do

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

Real lrm-ers have the balls to get direct los themselves with the equipment needed such as uav,etc. Then there are the lurm-ers who know the exact farthest lrm ranges of mech quirks plus skill tree willing to use those 11 mobile targeting computers that need to be laughed at and mocked as they get farmed by an enemy light or fast mover because they think doing 1-2k damage games with no kills or kill assists is how u use de lurmz.

Sure I can name those mechs but I won't since during events in qp I get tired of my direct fire los lrm ****** used as bait while some "snipor" sits 1500m away scratching paint and moving air particles complaining I'm the leech.

Keep nerfing lrms and the mechanics of how they work so people have to boat them on assaults because a lrm 30 or 40 becomes just dead weight and you need 80-100 to do any damage. Now I'm off to tri-ams-fox an easy qp ms score standing next to those lrm crabs and atlas or maybe my favorite new lrm spamer the snvs.

#17 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 24 February 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

Real lrm-ers have the balls to get direct los themselves with the equipment needed such as uav,etc. Then there are the lurm-ers who know the exact farthest lrm ranges of mech quirks plus skill tree willing to use those 11 mobile targeting computers that need to be laughed at and mocked as they get farmed by an enemy light or fast mover because they think doing 1-2k damage games with no kills or kill assists is how u use de lurmz.

Sure I can name those mechs but I won't since during events in qp I get tired of my direct fire los lrm ****** used as bait while some "snipor" sits 1500m away scratching paint and moving air particles complaining I'm the leech.

Keep nerfing lrms and the mechanics of how they work so people have to boat them on assaults because a lrm 30 or 40 becomes just dead weight and you need 80-100 to do any damage. Now I'm off to tri-ams-fox an easy qp ms score standing next to those lrm crabs and atlas or maybe my favorite new lrm spamer the snvs.

Most weapons in this game are bad unless boated, in that lrms are no different. Best solo lrm mechs are mediums with jump jets, usually 2-3 big launchers and a narc. If you're using an lrm assault that basically means you're gonna have someone else aim for you

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

learning and sniping are both things i'm not very good at. both are dull boring ways to play the game. games are either endless attrition that gets so boring that i don't feel like i'm playing a game anymore, or they are mindless nascar fests. but at least with nascar you are going to get good brawls, even if its mindless. i suppose there is still fp siege, where you generally don't have time to camp and assault brawls happen almost every game.

#19 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 24 February 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Most weapons in this game are bad unless boated, in that lrms are no different. Best solo lrm mechs are mediums with jump jets, usually 2-3 big launchers and a narc. If you're using an lrm assault that basically means you're gonna have someone else aim for you

Right, also using quirked lrm mechs helps a lot, and there are enough of those to make lrms functional when used well.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 24 February 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

yea if you are going to lerm, at least do it in a medium, it will be more fun, even more effective. i see a large number of learms coming from an assault, if im in the right mech for the job, its only a matter of time before i path find my way on top of that and kill it. with a medium, always on the move, this is not so straight forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users