Lucky Charms 2020 Event

87 replies to this topic

#21 Reptile Blackdeath

• PipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

I agree with those thinking it's grindy... I have liked how the last few events have been easily achievable with a little time. Feels like I can play the game for fun. True, I don't need any of the rewards.. but it's nice have trinkets without thinking I might just run LRM boats so I can get damage and score grinding done while I catch up on some series I've been meaning to watch...

#22 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:43 AM

View PostReptile Blackdeath, on 06 March 2020 - 01:58 AM, said:

but it's nice have trinkets without thinking I might just run LRM boats so I can get damage and score grinding done while I catch up on some series I've been meaning to watch...

For every cumulative 500 MS, you can get a Loot Bag. You really don't need LRMs to do that. You might want to consider just being satisfied with whatever amount of Loot Bags you can score without LRMs instead of making it bad for everyone.

#23 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:58 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 06 March 2020 - 02:43 AM, said:

For every cumulative 500 MS, you can get a Loot Bag. You really don't need LRMs to do that. You might want to consider just being satisfied with whatever amount of Loot Bags you can score without LRMs instead of making it bad for everyone.

totally true.

however...!
lurms and ams are the easy way out; you get a decent MS without much effort, without the need to aim at something; without the need to contribute to anything really .. so ..
you have 3 guesses what the next days are gonna look like Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 06 March 2020 - 03:59 AM.

#24 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:34 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 06 March 2020 - 03:58 AM, said:

totally true.

however...!
lurms and ams are the easy way out; you get a decent MS without much effort, without the need to aim at something; without the need to contribute to anything really .. so ..
you have 3 guesses what the next days are gonna look like Posted Image

It's already begun. Every time I take a mech out with AMS, every bit of my ammo gets used up, and I mean fast. Even a Nova with 3 AMS and 2 tons of ammo has the AMS ammo depleted before either the match ends or before I get killed. I'm starting to wonder whether I should drop a double heatsink and add another ton of ammo for my AMS, but that would affect my damage output due to the lower heat dissipation. I haven't seen this much missile spam in previous events...shoot, I don't think I've seen this much since I started playing back in late 2017. People are desperate to inflate their match scores in this event, moreso than ever before it seems, lol.

#25 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:43 AM

View PostGen Lee, on 06 March 2020 - 06:34 AM, said:

Even a Nova with 3 AMS and 2 tons of ammo has the AMS ammo depleted before either the match ends or before I get killed. I'm starting to wonder whether I should drop a double heatsink and add another ton of ammo for my AMS, but that would affect my damage output due to the lower heat dissipation.

You could switch an AMS to LAMS, then toggle the LAMS off when you're engaging and switch it on when you have spare heat.

#26 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:04 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 04 March 2020 - 11:02 PM, said:

Maybe instead of needing to complete this challenge in 14 days, it'd be better if the event ran for the whole of March? Just give more time so that people won't feel burned out by the game inside 2 weeks. Just my opinion.

I love the game and play a lot for my full work, family and exercise schedule. 75% players will need about 300 games to complete this event.
That's about 20 games a day. That means about 3.5hours a day (asssuming about 10min/game, if you're cycling between mechs)

I was able to sustain this during Xmas vacation. But this isn't just grindy, its sprinty.

#27 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

View PostGen Lee, on 06 March 2020 - 06:34 AM, said:

It's already begun. Every time I take a mech out with AMS, every bit of my ammo gets used up, and I mean fast. Even a Nova with 3 AMS and 2 tons of ammo has the AMS ammo depleted before either the match ends or before I get killed. I'm starting to wonder whether I should drop a double heatsink and add another ton of ammo for my AMS, but that would affect my damage output due to the lower heat dissipation. I haven't seen this much missile spam in previous events...shoot, I don't think I've seen this much since I started playing back in late 2017. People are desperate to inflate their match scores in this event, moreso than ever before it seems, lol.

hmm. maybe I will drop a few games anyway.

I foresee light-mechs, curses and a lot of butthurt Posted Image

View Post_Magno_, on 06 March 2020 - 07:04 AM, said:

I love the game and play a lot for my full work, family and exercise schedule. 75% players will need about 300 games to complete this event.
That's about 20 games a day. That means about 3.5hours a day (asssuming about 10min/game, if you're cycling between mechs)

I was able to sustain this during Xmas vacation. But this isn't just grindy, its sprinty.

why would anybody grind his way through this for a 'standard'mech, anyway ?

imHo getting what little fun you can get out of the nascar-queue is more important than that. and yeah, that excludes pulling a circle over a square 24/7.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 06 March 2020 - 07:21 AM.

#28 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

It's not grindy when they give you a way to get more loot bags by spending money, it's marketing. It's intended to be more than most people have time for, so that if they truly want the whole thing, then they gotta spend. In a F2P title it's totally fine, especially since the prize isn't a hero or anything really special, so you don't miss out if you choose not to go for it.

I always like the loot bag events, especially because I have more mechs than cockpit items. All that spare MC and the warhorns etc help me flesh out my uglier cockpits. Might be a good time to finish leveling my second Corsair 7A as well, already love that mech, but if people are going to make the mistake of thinking LRMs are the best way to grind...I'll gladly seal club their missiles for the free match score.

#29 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

View PostKodyn, on 06 March 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

It's not grindy when they give you a way to get more loot bags by spending money, it's marketing. It's intended to be more than most people have time for, so that if they truly want the whole thing, then they gotta spend. In a F2P title it's totally fine, especially since the prize isn't a hero or anything really special, so you don't miss out if you choose not to go for it.

I always like the loot bag events, especially because I have more mechs than cockpit items. All that spare MC and the warhorns etc help me flesh out my uglier cockpits. Might be a good time to finish leveling my second Corsair 7A as well, already love that mech, but if people are going to make the mistake of thinking LRMs are the best way to grind...I'll gladly seal club their missiles for the free match score.

Yeah, we were on a team together earlier during this event. I think you were in your Corsair, and I was running my Nova with 3x AMS. Been fighting in the shade a lot lately, lol.

#30 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

View PostKodyn, on 06 March 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

Events are supposed to be reasonably doable by playing the game normally (i.e. not 10 hours a day). 75,000 match points is quite a bit over the top. I'd say 50,000 would have been much more reasonable.

Also, this event, structured the way it is, seems to have brought out some really bad games. Tons of people loading up on LRMS on both sides. They just sit and don't advance. It's worse than usual.

Edited by Acid_Rain, 06 March 2020 - 01:53 PM.

#31 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

My biggest gripe with this event isn't how grindy it is, which it is, but that they aren't doing anything about how much longer it takes to accumulate MS in Faction Warfare compared to Quick Play. Either fix MS formula or ask for something entirely different.

#32 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

I’ve only had time to play a few matches and earn a couple of loot bags. I ‘won’ 45mc in one and 35 in the other which is more generous than the usual 5, 10, 15 during previous events.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#33 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:28 AM

View PostAcid_Rain, on 05 March 2020 - 07:28 AM, said:

if you average 500 per match, you need 150 matches. That is a bit over the top for this. I'd agree 100 was too low, but maybe something in the middle like 250 or 300 would be better.

Is my math wrong, or is that a ridiculous amount of games they expect people to play in 2 weeks? I doubt even the top players would average 500 over 150 matches.

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 05 March 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

You'll need around 300-350 games if you consistently score 200-280 MS. That is a lot. I don't play nearly half as many games as that PER MONTH

It gets worse.

The average player has a 225MS.... that's 334 games!

Jarl's puts the average games played per season ~100...

The average player needs to play 4x as much as they usually do to achieve this.

#34 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:44 AM

I'm well on point to completing this event comfortably but what really annoys the **** out of me is the terrible run of people in my team. I do 700, 800, even 1000 damage games regularly and I've got a streak of losses. I've had everything from terrible loadouts like LRM Gargoyles trying to cap to entire Alpha and Bravo lances barely breaking 100 damage to Charlie lance going the wrong way and scoring Double D. Have half of these eejits even forgotten to LRM now?

#35 Grumpy Old Man

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

For everybody that thinks bringing LRMs will gain him some of that sweet sweet match score, there is someone on the enemy team bringing AMS to net himself that sweet, sweet match score. ;-) I have done a few matches with a Wolfhound, 2AMS and 2.5 tons of AMS ammo, almost running out.

I almost feel disappointed when I bring my Crab 27, Wolfhound or Kitfox and we get Solaris City or HPG Manifold and the lurmers on both sides cry... Of course, just when I think there is nobody out there with LRMs anymore and bring my SRM Cougar, I get Polar Highland. ;-)

#36 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Is a lot grindier than previous events. I get it stops #YOLO... but it is also over 300 matches for the average person to grind out given the average match score is what, 220? Alternatively... I definitely have better things to do then 'earn' $10 worth of stuff.

Consider me another statistic in the declining population. No way is the return on the event worth grinding to that extent. The people with the skill level to average +500MS probably don't need the 50GXP lootbags.

#37 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 07 March 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

Is a lot grindier than previous events. I get it stops #YOLO... but it is also over 300 matches for the average person to grind out given the average match score is what, 220? Alternatively... I definitely have better things to do then 'earn' $10 worth of stuff.

That's actually a good point, if I was paid p/h I could do an extra shift and buy all this stuff (except for the warhorn) and have change and time left over.

#38 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:35 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 04 March 2020 - 08:52 PM, said:

Well, look at it this way... it might prompt people to play better or make it a bigger LRM-fest than it has ever been.

people play better during an event, lol.

#39 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 04 March 2020 - 09:02 PM, said:

It is accumulated.

You don't have to have 500 match score performances.

Having cumulative based objectives means that people do not YOLO/Kamikaze in games. Trying your best rather than suicide running & quitting means you will get the event done faster... The suicide runners are always a big issue during lootbag events when it's 100 match score per loot bag (non-cumulative).

Cumulative is always better, especially when it means you actually have to attempt to play out a match.

for an average player with around 250 match score, its still like 3 hours of grind a day, every day, for completion. that's especially if its the longer running do your best games rather than the suicide runs.

i think the dive bombing is more a result of burnout. you just get so sick of the event that you want to get it over with. they never start out that way, and it hasn't gone that way yet, but it will. once a certain percentage start, the chances for good games go out the window and then everyone starts doing it.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 March 2020 - 04:54 PM.

#40 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

Can't it be like eighteen thousand hours a day all day every day for three weeks OR 20 500 MS games? That gives everyone what they want - a grizzly, awful swirl around the mental drain hole for grind enthusiasts, and a light at the end of the tunnel for everybody else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users