Lucky Charms 2020 Event

87 replies to this topic

#61 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:45 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 09 March 2020 - 07:15 PM, said:

If you don't want free ****, don't play. It's quite simple. PGI has been quite generous in the amount of free **** they give away, probably more than just about any other F2P game and it's always been this way. Complaining they aren't giving you *more* free **** just makes you look like a child.

And then insinuating the free **** they're giving isn't enough to attract or keep players is just next level.

I don't want anything "free". I want to earn rewards in game that are satisfying and meaningful. Free would be they give you something just for logging in. Some games do that during events, just to get people to keep logging in I guess or simply to give away something for free. I'm not asking for that. These are rewards for particular achievements (i.e. 500 match score per loot bag, 250 loot bags for the grand, etc. etc.).

All I'm saying is some of these "rewards" don't feel very rewarding, but Fragtastic does have a point. If you look at the rewards as a whole, some of them are very good.

I should add, likewise, I don't want to "buy" this stuff. Sure I could plop down $x and buy max mech bays, mechs, etc. but then I wouldn't feel like I accomplished anything and I would get bored pretty fast. It would be like paying someone to play the game for you. Why bother.

Edited by Acid_Rain, 10 March 2020 - 05:49 AM.

#62 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

View PostAcid_Rain, on 10 March 2020 - 05:45 AM, said:

I should add, likewise, I don't want to "buy" this stuff. Sure I could plop down $x and buy max mech bays, mechs, etc. but then I wouldn't feel like I accomplished anything and I would get bored pretty fast. It would be like paying someone to play the game for you. Why bother.

Er... dude, that's kind of a twisted reasoning there. First off, you should definitely consider buying something during the sales. I'm not saying that you should buy something, I'm saying consider buying something during sales. I bought a Veagle Collector's Pack a few days ago since all mech packs are on sale. Before that I bought MC during the MC sale and so on and so on. Call me an imbecile for buying stuff in a dead game but so be it. I'm an imbecile. But your logic.....

#63 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:37 PM

I spend a little on the game. I don't like things that are "free" because usually those are the most costly. Either they are worthless or there is a hidden cost.

I am looking forward to finishing this event and cashing in the rewards, I am more than half way to the 75,000 and almost have my 250 components. I haven't been playing long enough to know what the "loot bags" comprise, for all I know PGI lanyards and ink pens. Hey they need red "Remove Before Stomp" flags, like the Remove Before Flight flags.

#64 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:31 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 07 March 2020 - 06:38 PM, said:

I did some further maths. I am paying ~28c/kwh for electricity. With my new computer and monitors, at average matchtime and wait of ~10 minutes per match, it would cost me close to $20 in electricity to grind out the loot bags.
Ok... You're weird.

Kind of kidding, but seriously, I leave my PC's on all the time. They're sitting behind a pretty hefty power conditioner, so it's actually less stressful to keep them on 24x7, than to shut them off/on (plus you know... participation in SETI@home)...

So quantifying the electricity costs while I play a computer game... that's seriously puting the A N A L in analysis.

#65 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

The way I see it, it's a whole lot faster to earn QP match score then FP match score...

So there's been a decrease in solo vs group matches in favor of more group vs group matches in FP, because it's a waste of time making match score in FP unless you're being carried by a group.

And there's an increase in quality of QP matches, because a bad match won't get you much match score.

So win-win for both game modes, very positive event.

#66 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:53 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 12 March 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

Ok... You're weird.

Kind of kidding, but seriously, I leave my PC's on all the time. They're sitting behind a pretty hefty power conditioner, so it's actually less stressful to keep them on 24x7, than to shut them off/on (plus you know... participation in SETI@home)...

So quantifying the electricity costs while I play a computer game... that's seriously puting the A N A L in analysis.

i like to start with a clean system every morning. so i reboot. stress wise the computer will break down about 5 years after i get bored with it and build new one.

also he didnt consider system utilization, i very much doubt this game maxes the cores or the gpu. its just not that demanding. at least not on anything from the last 5 or so generations.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 March 2020 - 09:53 AM.

#67 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 March 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

Er... dude, that's kind of a twisted reasoning there. First off, you should definitely consider buying something during the sales. I'm not saying that you should buy something, I'm saying consider buying something during sales. I bought a Veagle Collector's Pack a few days ago since all mech packs are on sale. Before that I bought MC during the MC sale and so on and so on. Call me an imbecile for buying stuff in a dead game but so be it. I'm an imbecile. But your logic.....

There is an attraction of the challenge to grinding FTP games without spending a cent . MWO is one of a very few games I gave money to and I spent nothing the first year I played . I actually sometimes wonder how my two accounts would look if I never gave any money .

#68 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:50 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 14 March 2020 - 01:58 PM, said:

There is an attraction of the challenge to grinding FTP games without spending a cent . MWO is one of a very few games I gave money to and I spent nothing the first year I played . I actually sometimes wonder how my two accounts would look if I never gave any money .

I have a main account that I've spent $ on and two alts (Clan only/IS only) that I run F2P. I've managed to build a decent stable of mechs, including many hero mechs in both alt accounts with lots of cockpit items and colours. With fewer mechs in those accounts they get skilled up faster too.

You really don't have to put any $ in this game if you don't want to.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#69 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:07 AM

i think ive given pgi far more money than they deserve.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 March 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#70 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 March 2020 - 10:07 AM, said:

i think ive given pgi far more money than they deserve.

They disagree strongly Posted Image

#71 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:38 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 March 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

They disagree strongly Posted Image

it must be a canadian thing.

#72 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

Mission completed Thanks PGI

#73 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

I really thought I'd be on track to finish this one early, but now I may not at all. I still think it's a solid event, but match quality has really varied over the course of it, causing me some burnout, and I'm taking a lot of breaks for other things. POE had a league launch over the weekend, work responsibilities, etc. Probably still get a mech out of it to sell for some engines, but those 2x Triskelion horns may be out of my reach now.

#74 Lithology

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 141 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:51 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 15 March 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

I have a main account that I've spent $ on and two alts (Clan only/IS only) that I run F2P. I've managed to build a decent stable of mechs, including many hero mechs in both alt accounts with lots of cockpit items and colours. With fewer mechs in those accounts they get skilled up faster too.

You really don't have to put any $ in this game if you don't want to.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Somewhat like you, I have my main account that I have thrown dollars at, buying mech packs I liked from time to time, but usually at least one per year, because I liked the game and wanted to keep it going. I also wanted to try to 'catch up' since I wasn't around from the beginning. I also have a Clan only account, and it is the bare bones one... I have plunked little bits of cash at it here and there (but way less frequently), and the Clan only account is actually more successful.

I agree, you really don't have to put money into this game to enjoy it. But if you do drop a few bucks on it now and again, that certainly shouldn't make you feel like you got ripped off... it is sometimes fun, sometimes challenging, and sometimes a pain in the ***... which pretty much sounds like life in general.

#75 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 March 2020 - 03:36 PM, said:

my math was based on a 3 week event, a 250 average match score, and a 15 minute iteration time (game plus wait time). spin those numbers how you like, but i got 3 hours/day.

250 match score every 15min for 3hr play time per day = 3000 match score
3 weeks = 21 days X 3000 match score = 63000 match score (need 75000)
Playing 3hr per day, every day for 3 weeks, and you still wouldn't have enough to make the cut.

Now for those of us who are average players and can achieve 200 match score on a good game - - - - -
Close to 18 matches per day at an average of 15min per = almost 4 1/2 hrs play time per day, every day, without fail, come hell or high water (or corona virus).
Not completely out of reach, but don't miss a day, or an hour or two of play time once in a while or your grind will not be rewarded with a mech.
Take solace in your lootbags, because you'll be so burned out at the end, you may not want to play for a while.
However, I suppose if you won the mech, you would be motivated to keep playing with, and enjoying the new mech and try to master it = more play time - no grind - - - what a relief - - - - - - - - - #### - - -ZZZZZZ - - -#### - - - ZZZ - ! ! ! ! SORRY, I dozed off for a moment. (So tired from grinding)
Peace

#76 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:03 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 19 March 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

Now for those of us who are average players and can achieve 200 match score on a good game

200? On a GOOD game? ... Oh boy ... lol

No offense, but ... seems like a proper challenge to me. Gitgud to avoid the grind or, well, just grind harder.

#77 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:45 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 19 March 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

Now for those of us who are average players and can achieve 200 match score on a good game - - - - -

The average player scores 225 per match: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 March 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

No offense, but ... seems like a proper challenge to me. Gitgud to avoid the grind or, well, just grind harder.

Or give up on getting good and spam the ATM Veagle like the best try hards out there: https://leaderboard....Imperial+Porter

#78 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:55 AM

If the good players that we know all played ATMs, then they'd easily push him off the top in a month Posted Image

#79 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:24 AM

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/challenge

#80 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:48 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 20 March 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

This event isn't a challenge, it's a grind.

The only "Challenge" is completing it before the timer expires, which is more determined by how many matches you play (grind) than by how well you perform in them.

You could complete this challenge with an average of 120MS if you ground 8hrs every day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users