Some Things Buggin Me So Far....

7 replies to this topic

#1 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:50 AM

So, im like Rep rank 6 atm, just completed the IMC campaign mission and so far there are a few things that I note are quite annoying or I just dont understand yet.....

1: Salvage: Just like Battletech, you can either have good money or you can have good salvage. Then they put the good salvage(Battlemechs) just outside the reach of your salvage ability. Just had a SHD that woulda been decent to salvage, I max salvage and its only 12. The mech? 15....cuz of course it is. Of course, its wonderful how they give you more negotiation points than you can even spend. I have had like 2-3 left over after maxing everything. JUst let me put a few more into salvage.

2: AI Piloting ability: Do they ever NOT get your **** wrecked? Or do they just perform really, really damn bad with projectile weapons? Yes, I modded the game using a save game editor to give me a Warhammer, so therefore, Leon was in my Centurion 9A. Then, in every, and I do mean EVERY mission, he gets my Autocannon blown off(Yes I used that same save game editor to give me my weapons back, cuz screw you AI). I notice he does a little better in the CN-9AL I modded in. Do they just not perform well with slow moving projectiles?

3: Odd *** weapon convergeance: I love that this game has the exact same problem Mechwarrior 4 had, where PPCs do not go where you aim them. What is it? A tree crosses your reticle and your mech is now aiming at that tree? so you fire and it fires off into the nether? Cuz I have a tank targeted through a tree stand, take aim, fire and the shot just flies off into the sky, like its trying to shoot down Jupiter. Also, PPCs have ballistic drop?

4: Pilots? Where the hell do you buy pilots? Ive been to multiple planets and no pilots anywhere.

5: Repair costs: Sooo, I notice after a battle, it gives you a damage report and total mission cost, does that come out right then? So then you go into your hangar to repair your mechs and you get billed twice? So you repair your mechs and then you have to repair your mechs?

6: The reversed paper doll: Yeah, this is about useless. Can I just have the paperdoll show me my mech as it is when im sitting in the cockpit? Left is left, right is right? Its less confusing that way. IM not looking at my mech from the front, so seeing the paper doll as it is from a frontal view is kind of useless. It works in the Mech lab, not in the battle, when im trying to torso twist damage away. What is with PGI and inversion>?

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 13 May 2020 - 05:05 AM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:43 AM

1. yea thats annoying. especially when you put all your points towards salvage and there are no mechs. so you end up salvaging a bunch of low tier weapons. would be nice if every now and again there would be a few top tier weapons in there.

2. give your pilots the worst stuff and use them as cannon fodder. try to avoid giving them mechs with arm hardpoints or dont use them. max armor.

3. i didn't see much of this but i hardly ever used ppcs.

4. industrial hubs. they didn't really make this obvious. at first i kind of thought they would be unlocked during missions like the first guy. so i played quite a lot of the game with just 2. seems the better their skill ratings, the more likely they are to die.

5. jump to industrial hubs to repair. only reason to repair in the field is if your mechs are lightly damaged and no components were destroyed and it would cost more to jump out than fix it in place. this is useful for multi-part missions as its often difficult to hit the tonnage allotment. paying extra is better than having to drop a mech short.

6. that is probably the worst mistake they made. consistency is a lost art. i think there is a mod to fix this.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 May 2020 - 06:48 AM.

#3 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:52 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 May 2020 - 06:43 AM, said:

1. yea thats annoying. especially when you put all your points towards salvage and there are no mechs. so you end up salvaging a bunch of low tier weapons. would be nice if every now and again there would be a few top tier weapons in there.

2. give your pilots the worst stuff and use them as cannon fodder. try to avoid giving them mechs with arm hardpoints or dont use them. max armor.

3. i didn't see much of this but i hardly ever used ppcs.

4. industrial hubs. they didn't really make this obvious. at first i kind of thought they would be unlocked during missions like the first guy. so i played quite a lot of the game with just 2. seems the better their skill ratings, the more likely they are to die.

5. jump to industrial hubs to repair. only reason to repair in the field is if your mechs are lightly damaged and no components were destroyed and it would cost more to jump out than fix it in place. this is useful for multi-part missions as its often difficult to hit the tonnage allotment. paying extra is better than having to drop a mech short.

6. that is probably the worst mistake they made. consistency is a lost art. i think there is a mod to fix this.

How do I know if its an industrial hub? UNlike BT, there isnt a convenient little tool tip to tell me whats what. I have seen it pop up "Industrial HUB Discovered", but im just left thinkin, ok, cool, where?

And repairing in the field? Ive literally been doing nothing but that, repairing after every mission, with that 20% penalty or w/e....I mean, im still at around 20 million atm, but where else can I repair? The areas outlined in the orange are the battle zones?

As for mechs without arm mounted hardpoints, I guess that is one way, if only I had one. Ive salvaged and sold quite a few lights, but only managed to get a single Vindi, which I also sold. Ive got 2 Cents and my modded in Whammy.

#4 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

Lord-N's response is on point.
I would like to add some detail:

1. Depending on the mission difficulty, you will be allowed to allocate a limited amount of points to each area.
The tougher the mission - the more points can be used.
As you progress in the game, and fight well in the mission, you will be able to gain enough salvage points to pick up a larger mech kill or a couple of smaller mech kills.

2. Try to fit your pilot with a mech that seems to match his current skill level.
For example, if he/she has a 7 out of 8 energy weapon skill, give him/her an energy based mech to pilot.
Or if they have low skills in 'avoid damage', give them a smaller, faster mech.
However, I'm sorry to report that if you get between your lance and the enemy, you will end up missing some back armor.
They currently do not have the ability to hold fire if a friendly is in the way.
The best way to deal with this is to use your F3 key to spread your lance apart.
In this way you can avoid them shooting friendly's and provide crossfire on the enemy.

3. I suspect that in the heat of battle you may be confusing your reticle.
One reticle is for your torso and one is for your arms.
If your PPC is in the torso and you are focused on the arm reticle, you will get the result you described.

4. When you get to an industrial hub (and sometimes in a war zone) you need to select the Barracks tab at the top.
You will be presented with several pilots for hire.
Each will have a current, and maximum skill number and their cost to hire and monthly pay check amount.
More experienced pilots will cost more to hire and pay.
The pilots will increase from their current skill level up to the maximum skill as they gain kills during missions.
The maximum skill level is 60, but you will not see many until further in the game.

5. The number you see at the end of the mission is how much you made, not how much it cost you.
On the 1st screen you will see your salvage number, and on the 2nd screen how much damage your team took.
If you spent any points on damage insurance, that will be deducted.

6. I think their intention was to let you see at a glance both front and rear damage.
The doll on the left is the front and the right is showing rear damage.
If you are having trouble spreading damage, focus on the right doll which would be the same as if you were in 3rd person view.

Happy Hunting.

#5 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 13 May 2020 - 07:52 AM, said:

How do I know if its an industrial hub? UNlike BT, there isnt a convenient little tool tip to tell me whats what. I have seen it pop up "Industrial HUB Discovered", but im just left thinkin, ok, cool, where?

And repairing in the field? Ive literally been doing nothing but that, repairing after every mission, with that 20% penalty or w/e....I mean, im still at around 20 million atm, but where else can I repair? The areas outlined in the orange are the battle zones?

As for mechs without arm mounted hardpoints, I guess that is one way, if only I had one. Ive salvaged and sold quite a few lights, but only managed to get a single Vindi, which I also sold. Ive got 2 Cents and my modded in Whammy.

its those systems linked together by the dashed lines.

when i mean repair in field, i mean while in a combat zone. like sometimes you get 3 and 4 part missions and its pretty much the only way to complete the series is to take a bunch of broken mechs on the last drop. but it seems you can do light repairs between each part and have them available later. what i do is i repair all my mechs, go into a combat zone and do as many missions as i can until i run out of working mechs and then jump out for repairs and avoid doing field repairs at all.

try and find some hunchies for your team mates, they put the big gun in the torso and can do pretty good damage. dont give them any victors unless you want to replace the arm weapons all the time. they seem to do better in stalkers and cyclopses if you can find some.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 May 2020 - 06:51 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 13 May 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

6. I think their intention was to let you see at a glance both front and rear damage.
The doll on the left is the front and the right is showing rear damage.
If you are having trouble spreading damage, focus on the right doll which would be the same as if you were in 3rd person view.

Happy Hunting.

the problem with the paper doll is that its effectively backwards from mwo. it was confusing the hell out of me as well.

#7 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:51 AM

Agreed.
Like any other game, it takes a little getting used to.

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:12 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 May 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

the problem with the paper doll is that its effectively backwards from mwo. it was confusing the hell out of me as well.

Backwards from every mech game I know of. PGI sure loves their inversion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users