Sturdy Assaults

16 replies to this topic

#1 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:21 PM

What are some sturdy clan assault mechs? See I LOVE my annihilator. I'll run duel heavy guass or 6rac2 and be out in the fray and blow people to kingdom come while eating mobs of damage. Of course this seems to be how inner sphere mechs are. What are some sturdy assault mechs that can do the same so I can experiment with clan weapons? I have a dire whale prime and uv but they are glass cannons.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Clan assaults are basically all glass cannons except the Gargles, which is really more of a medium or heavy than an assault...so Clan assaults are basically all glass cannons to varying degrees.

It's probably best to pick an MC2 or Basp, which can use their firepower and top speed to more than make up for not being particularly tanky. The Clans definitely have nothing analogous to the Anni or other IS assaults in terms of meatshielding.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

Clan mechs don't really do well under a lot of concentrated fire, imo. Your best bet is to bring a high damage alpha and destroy stuff from 500m away.

Under such circumstances, I can recommend mechs like the

1. Supernova Boiler (2x UAC20 + 3 SRM6+A) and make full use of it's UAC20 HSL+1 quirk and simply obliterate enemies quickly. Just know that this thing will boil you inside and you only double-tap the UAC20s when you spot a mech that you can instantly kill with your alpha strike. Until then, be conservative and use SRM6s and single tap UAC20.

2. Highlander IIC Keeper is similar to the Supernova Boiler except that it uses 2x LBx20 + 4 SRM6+A. This one can be less boiling.

3. Marauder IIC Scorch with a similar build to the Keeper but you will run into problems when someone starts hitting you from the flank.

4. Gargoyles with lots of lasers. I run 6 MPLs and loads of ER Micros. You can basically destroy enemies with ER Micros alone but MPLs are great to have for that extra burst of alpha strike.

5. Any mech that can do a UAC20 + 2x UAC10 combo will do well. The Blood Asp can do this easily and run an ECM to boot.

You can try running some SRM6s and LBx20s on some variants of the Warhammer IIIC but that thing turns like a train. So, it's up to you.

#4 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

Clan assaults are meant to be wet paper bags with guns. You either have to out run, out range, out gun, or out maneuver other assaults, but going toe to toe with IS assaults within their own optimal = fail.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

Unfortunately you're missing some hefty quirks present on IS 'Mechs when you switch to Clan Assaults, but you get tighter internals, lighter guns and a higher movement rate to compensate. IMO you want to look for high mount placement more than good armour on clan 'Mechs - let the terrain be your defence, and UAVs your eyes to watch your behind. Mad Cat MK II is by far your best bet, Marauder IIC is also fair. Avoid Assaults with poor torso twist or turning rate, like the Kodiak 3 and Warhammer IICs.

#6 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 March 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

Unfortunately you're missing some hefty quirks present on IS 'Mechs when you switch to Clan Assaults, but you get tighter internals, lighter guns and a higher movement rate to compensate. IMO you want to look for high mount placement more than good armour on clan 'Mechs - let the terrain be your defence, and UAVs your eyes to watch your behind. Mad Cat MK II is by far your best bet, Marauder IIC is also fair. Avoid Assaults with poor torso twist or turning rate, like the Kodiak 3 and Warhammer IICs.
Don't forget the "free" case in every component location. With IS 'mechs you can only put CASE in the side torsos at the cost of tonnage and crit slots.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:39 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 March 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

Don't forget the "free" case in every component location. With IS 'mechs you can only put CASE in the side torsos at the cost of tonnage and crit slots.

Yep, ammo explosions in my IS 'Mechs are common as I tend to forget in the heat of battle that I'm roughing it in an inferior freebirth design. I'm about to lose armour in a torso? No biggie just need to eat a coolshot just in c.

#8 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 March 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

Don't forget the Blood Asp, it's a really nasty assault (particularly with dakka loadouts). It and the MCII are the top tier Clan assaults imo.

#9 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Dont forget WHK-Prime with 4ERPPCs ... nothing says " Oh hello there, Mr. Double Gauss" better than 4 ERPPCs sidepoking any obstacle that is at hand from a click out :)

By the way ... WHK can also do a pretty nifty 2xUAC10+2SRM4 ;)

#10 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

Marauder II C

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostB0oN, on 13 March 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

Dont forget WHK-Prime with 4ERPPCs ... nothing says " Oh hello there, Mr. Double Gauss" better than 4 ERPPCs sidepoking any obstacle that is at hand from a click out :)

By the way ... WHK can also do a pretty nifty 2xUAC10+2SRM4 ;)

It's low slung arms make the Warhawk trickier to play, which puts it a tier down imo in terms of ease of use (but it is very effective).

#12 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:35 AM

if you're looking for a sturdy clan-assault mech .. the highlanderIIC I suppose.

not gonna lie: other mechs do better in a lot of areas, but the HighIIC is def. sturdy (for a clanner).
still some really good & fun builds availiable on it.

#13 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:27 AM

View Posteishiba, on 12 March 2020 - 07:21 PM, said:

What are some sturdy clan assault mechs? See I LOVE my annihilator. I'll run duel heavy guass or 6rac2 and be out in the fray and blow people to kingdom come while eating mobs of damage. Of course this seems to be how inner sphere mechs are. What are some sturdy assault mechs that can do the same so I can experiment with clan weapons? I have a dire whale prime and uv but they are glass cannons.

Hate to break it to you and or beat a dead horse, but your best clan assault would have to be the MKII. It's made of paper but it has the firepower to melt just about anything it runs across. The Dakka BASP is a close second with it's high mounts.

Innersphere has always had this niche in this game of being incredibly tanky, but just slow and cumbersome vs Clan.

#14 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

View Posteishiba, on 12 March 2020 - 07:21 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the Kraken is not in the game yet:

Posted Image

Boating 10 ACs? Okay
Boating 120 LRMs? Got it.

Up to 19 tons of Glazed Armor as optional feature? You are going to like it.

#15 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

View Postmartian, on 16 March 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the Kraken is not in the game yet:

If the side intakes are any indication it would be a Side Spider all over again, so it has a fair chance of happening. Because balanced by design©.

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:21 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 16 March 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

If the side intakes are any indication it would be a Side Spider all over again, so it has a fair chance of happening. Because balanced by design©.

The Sun Spooder is actually a decent and effective gundam, at least for a few specific builds (like ERPPC + 2 UAC/10 on the Vanguard). Not exactly tanky, but treat it like a Hunchie IIC and it will generally last long enough to get its job done.

I don't think the Bane would fare as well in the survival, though, because of its greater size and vastly lower agility.

#17 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:11 AM

View PostFupDup, on 16 March 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

The Sun Spooder is actually a decent and effective gundam, at least for a few specific builds (like ERPPC + 2 UAC/10 on the Vanguard). Not exactly tanky, but treat it like a Hunchie IIC and it will generally last long enough to get its job done.

Sure it is, I was referring to its hit-boxes on release when side torsi were larger than CT. They have fixed it pretty quickly, I give them that. Now, if the CT hitbox stretched to, say, one-third of the intakes' width, it could probably work. The Clans sure could use a full-size assault with high mounts, seeing how IS has MAD-II and Nightstar already, and it seems to be better than Stone Rhino in that regard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users