Will Playerbase Rise Because Of Covid-19?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:19 AM

I wonder, now that that Coronavirus (Covid-19) has locked down most countries, and many more are on the verge of full-on lockdowns, will the playerbase rise?

Or is everybody playing COD:Warzone? (that had 15 million players on launch day)

If you can't leave the house except to go to the store or the doctor, will you be spending time playing MWO?

Or do you have better things to do?

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:29 AM

Er... work-from-home is among other things on the list for me. I have to show my company that I did work whist at home. So, I can't spend more hours than I usually do on MWO and other games. It'll be the same for me.

#3 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:36 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 16 March 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Er... work-from-home is among other things on the list for me. I have to show my company that I did work whist at home. So, I can't spend more hours than I usually do on MWO and other games. It'll be the same for me.

Likewise. No matter what they say about UBI (not much these days), food will not put itself on the table. Only people who could play more are schoolchildren and students... and they all play COD Posted Image

#4 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:37 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 16 March 2020 - 01:19 AM, said:

I wonder, now that that Coronavirus (Covid-19) has locked down most countries, and many more are on the verge of full-on lockdowns, will the playerbase rise?

Or is everybody playing COD:Warzone? (that had 15 million players on launch day)

If you can't leave the house except to go to the store or the doctor, will you be spending time playing MWO?

No.

#5 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:27 AM

The only real (and very temporary) bump that may come would probably come from units. Many still have substantial official rosters of players and dedicated TS/discord, but have been ghost towns for months. People who played together for years, but have given up the game might come back to check on each other...maybe even play a couple of matches for old times sake. That will probably happen some, but I doubt it will be too huge or last long.

#6 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:20 AM

Steam made the Daily Mail (UK).

https://www.dailymai...ating-home.html

If for regional or other reasons you can't/won't read the link, this weekend saw a surge in users on steam, a record 20mil online.

Edited by n00biwan, 16 March 2020 - 06:21 AM.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 16 March 2020 - 01:19 AM, said:

Sure, some players who left years ago, might be tempted to return.

They will play a few games only to see that the game is still stale exactly as they remember; that the game still has zero depth and zero immersion; that 90% of all games are boring nascaring around the central feature; that the matchmakes still puts ten hopeless players together with two competent pilots who are expected to carry the team on their shoulders.

And they will leave again, since there are two dozens of similar - and maybe better - games available.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

no.

#9 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:44 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 March 2020 - 06:59 AM, said:

And they will leave again, since there are two dozens of similar - and maybe better - games available.

Being among the many who have quit this game out of frustration, I'm open to suggestions. Seriously.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

View Postbilagaana, on 16 March 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

Being among the many who have quit this game out of frustration, I'm open to suggestions. Seriously.

Pick one:
https://en.wikipedia...er_online_games

#11 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:48 AM

Don't know the reason, but I see a 2-4 cadet markers in most matches now. Seems like quite a few people coming in to play.

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

If matches weren't so mind numbing dull and repetative I could have more fun at work and at least get paid for it. I've got arkham knight I just started with only 2 hours in. Not many reasons to play mwo when I have a lot better things to do with my time and better games I can play.

Russ himself gives me no reason to play or spend money/time on mwo. "Don't worry about it. Just keep playing." My response is "why should I?"

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 16 March 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

I received my work-from-home orders only last week but now I am BORED STIFF! I need some air.

I am so tempted to rent a pad by the beach, but it was freaking 33 degrees Fahrenheit this morning! Worse, travel by plane is out of the question. Posted Image

View Postn00biwan, on 16 March 2020 - 06:20 AM, said:

Steam made the Daily Mail (UK).

https://www.dailymai...ating-home.html

If for regional or other reasons you can't/won't read the link, this weekend saw a surge in users on steam, a record 20mil online.

I just watched on the BBC(?) that in the USA they saw a surge in GUN SALES! Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 March 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#14 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

View PostMystere, on 16 March 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

I just watched on the BBC(?) that in the USA they saw a surge in GUN SALES! Posted Image

people are buying weapons to protect the 500 rolls of bathroom tissue they bought

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

Doom Eternal launches 3-20-20

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

No, it will fall, because covid-19 kills boomers.

#17 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:29 AM

View PostMystere, on 16 March 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

I received my work-from-home orders only last week but now I am BORED STIFF! I need some air.

I am so tempted to rent a pad by the beach, but it was freaking 33 degrees Fahrenheit this morning! Worse, travel by plane is out of the question. Posted Image

Yup huge lines outside the gunshops.Mind boggling.

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:44 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 March 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

Doom Eternal launches 3-20-20

And HL: Alyx shortly after!

#19 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:07 AM

View PostCharronn, on 17 March 2020 - 03:29 AM, said:

Yup huge lines outside the gunshops.Mind boggling.

Well best way to fight a virus is 12 gauge in its face.

#20 Ninjah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 307 posts
  • LocationComstar Lounge

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:51 PM

Since working at home leaves me with a lot of free time I installed MWO again after a year or so. My mechs have all reverted to default skin. Matches are hard to find. Anyway maybe there will be more like me so it'll get better for a while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users