- - - - -

How Can We Remove The Alpha-Numeric Grid From The Map So We Can See?

23 replies to this topic

#1 BATARA KALA

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

I simply cannot read the terrain, or spot friends & foes, when the alpha-numeric grid is over-layed on the battle map. I have tried to find the key that would remove the alpha-numeric grid from the map. Can it be done? If so, please tell me. Thank you.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:42 PM

View PostBATARA KALA, on 17 March 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

I have tried to find the key that would remove the alpha-numeric grid from the map. Can it be done? If so, please tell me. Thank you.

I do not think that it is possible to remove those grid numbers.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:16 PM

I don't think it's advisable either. Because you need the grids for proper communication.

#4 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:36 AM

You can press the Q key (by default) to view all currently detected targets and friendlies in 3D in-game overlay. Helps when the targets are too far to be displayed on the mini-map.

#5 BATARA KALA

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

As is, a cluttered and unreadable dashboard map is useless. If I could hit a key to remove the letters, numbers and grid, at least I could see the friendly and enemy mechs relative to my position.

Edited by BATARA KALA, 18 March 2020 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostBATARA KALA, on 18 March 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

As is, a cluttered and unreadable dashboard map is useless. If I could hit a key to remove the letters, numbers and grid, at least I could see the friendly and enemy mechs relative to my position.

You're the only person that has this issue, it's not cluttered and unreadable for anyone else....so the problem is you.

#7 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:06 AM

View PostVxheous, on 18 March 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

You're the only person that has this issue, it's not cluttered and unreadable for anyone else....so the problem is you.

On the contrary, it is cluttered and barely readable compared to the old minimap. But feel free to tell me how I am the problem too.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:20 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 19 March 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

On the contrary, it is cluttered and barely readable compared to the old minimap. But feel free to tell me how I am the problem too.

You're the problem too then. Its barely any different from the old mini map apart from mech directional arrows. Still, there's a difference of wishing for old minimap, and simply unqble to use current one.

Edited by Vxheous, 19 March 2020 - 05:27 PM.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

View PostBATARA KALA, on 18 March 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 19 March 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

My problems the reverse. The mechs cover up the map grid so I can't see what grid I should be calling out... The grid doesn't cover up the mech indicators to me at all.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:00 AM

View PostVxheous, on 19 March 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

You're the problem too then. Its barely any different from the old mini map apart from mech directional arrows. Still, there's a difference of wishing for old minimap, and simply unqble to use current one.

Oh, you are so smart. I'm sure you are aware that unlike the old one the new minimap looks really different depending on the monitor resolution. And I'm sure you are aware of the fact that on a small resolution the grid designation takes up the entire grid and prevents you from seeing both terrain and mech symbols. And I'm sure you realize that on a small resolution the minimap physical size is smaller than a matchbox. So, since you are now aware of all these things, do me a favor and get off your high horse for once when you clearly have no idea ...

#11 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:28 AM

I have seen CW rants, balancing rants, poptarting Highlander rants, hitboxes rants on this forum, but a holy war over a mini-map...

Posted Image

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 March 2020 - 01:00 AM, said:

Oh, you are so smart. I'm sure you are aware that unlike the old one the new minimap looks really different depending on the monitor resolution. And I'm sure you are aware of the fact that on a small resolution the grid designation takes up the entire grid and prevents you from seeing both terrain and mech symbols. And I'm sure you realize that on a small resolution the minimap physical size is smaller than a matchbox. So, since you are now aware of all these things, do me a favor and get off your high horse for once when you clearly have no idea ...

Only way someone would know this is if they ran their game at a small resolution. I'm not cure how much of an issue this is for most players, because we all probably play at different resolution settings.

For example, my resolution is set at 1440 x 900 and I've never noticed the issue you talk about. The grid is always covered by mech symbols for me, never the other way around. As I've only ever used this resolution of monitor, I wouldn't know how things look at any other resolution...

#13 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:48 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 March 2020 - 01:00 AM, said:

sucks to have a sh*t computer then, no f*cks given here. It's 2020, if you can't even run 1920x1080, you should probably do something else with your life.

Edited by Vxheous, 20 March 2020 - 12:51 PM.

#14 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:07 PM

View PostVxheous, on 20 March 2020 - 12:48 PM, said:

sucks to have a sh*t computer then, no f*cks given here. It's 2020, if you can't even run 1920x1080, you should probably do something else with your life.

Yeah yeah, first world problems, go buy some TP l33t p3wer. Your elitism neither impresses anyone nor puts you in any kind of positive light. For the record mr.2020, I have three PCs and four different monitors, which allows me to alternate between any kind of old/modern config I want, but not everyone can afford that. I'm sure they are very sorry to embarass your majesty by daring to play MWO on their old rigs.

Now do me a favor, and stick your irrelevant opinion you-know-where. Because when a guy comes to the forum and says he has a problem with minimap readability it means there is a problem with minimap readability, whether your majesty likes it or not. You don't have it? Good for you. Others aren't so lucky. Dismissing them with 'you are the problem' is nothing but being an a**hole. But feel free to carry on with that. I will in turn feel free to continue calling you out for it.

#15 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 March 2020 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yeah yeah, first world problems, go buy some TP l33t p3wer. Your elitism neither impresses anyone nor puts you in any kind of positive light. For the record mr.2020, I have three PCs and four different monitors, which allows me to alternate between any kind of old/modern config I want, but not everyone can afford that. I'm sure they are very sorry to embarass your majesty by daring to play MWO on their old rigs.

Now do me a favor, and stick your irrelevant opinion you-know-where. Because when a guy comes to the forum and says he has a problem with minimap readability it means there is a problem with minimap readability, whether your majesty likes it or not. You don't have it? Good for you. Others aren't so lucky. Dismissing them with 'you are the problem' is nothing but being an a**hole. But feel free to carry on with that. I will in turn feel free to continue calling you out for it.

Uh huh, and since the mini map isnt actually a problem, it really is them thats the problem. Having poor eyesight and can't see? Not the game's problem. Have a old computer and can't run the game well? Not the game's problem (considering the game is 8 years old, the computer has to be pretty sh*t to not be able to run the game at 1920x1080)

If there really was a minimap problem, there would be tons of people outraged over it, like when they first changed the minimap and it stopped rotating based on your direction. That was a problem, this is user side issue.

As to your tp comment, keep hiding indoors. I'm a Respiratory Therapist working in an ICU and tip of the f*cking spear against COVID19.

Edited by Vxheous, 20 March 2020 - 01:20 PM.

#16 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:27 PM

View PostVxheous, on 20 March 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Uh huh, and since the mini map isnt actually a problem, it really is them thats the problem. Having poor eyesight and can't see? Not the game's problem. Have a old computer and can't run the game well? Not the game's problem (considering the game is 8 years old, the computer has to be pretty sh*t to not be able to run the game at 1920x1080)

You just like to display your ignorance on the matter splattered with a healthy does of elitism, eh? lol

Given we all know the level of optimization and people on this very forum complaining that MWO fails to run smoothly even on brand new PCs, etc.

Given we all know this Minimally Viable ProductTM has absolutely zero UI customization options, which were somehow present in, say, MW4, which is a 20 years old game and are present in any other PvP-oriented multiplayer game that actually strifes to rise above minimal viability. Somehow for some unimaginable reason the developers of those game realize that an uncostomizable UI might be a problem. And they do provide full customization in many cases. But hey, feel free to tell me its them who are the problem too.

Honestly, this discussion is pointless. As I've said, your opinion on the matter is entirely irrelevant. Might be hard to swallow, but hey, a lesson in humility never hurt anyone yet.

#17 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:31 PM

If there really was a minimap problem, there would be tons of people outraged over it, like when they first changed the minimap and it stopped rotating based on your direction. That was a problem, this is user side issue.

Except that they were when the change occured. If you were paying attention back then you'd notice. A shame the Minimally Viable ForumTM doesn't have a search option, but hey, I'm sure its me who is the problem in this case too ... lol

As to your tp comment, keep hiding indoors. I'm a Respiratory Therapist working in an ICU and tip of the f*cking spear against COVID19.

LOL ... I've no reason to. None of that crap here. Maybe if you were doing your job better there wouldn't be any over there as well. So yeah, better get back to it before it gets worse. Chop chop.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 20 March 2020 - 01:31 PM.

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:35 PM

Relevance? Posted Image

#19 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 March 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Relevance? Posted Image

TP stashing comment

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 March 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

LOL ... I've no reason to. None of that crap here. Maybe if you were doing your job better there wouldn't be any over there as well. So yeah, better get back to it before it gets worse. Chop chop.

My job doesn't prevent others from spreading it around, its to intubate and ventilate the sick.

Edited by Vxheous, 20 March 2020 - 01:40 PM.

#20 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

Greetings all,

The technical part of the question.

Has anyone actually looked at the code to see what the default Mech icon size and map lettering font is set at?

- Once the pre-set default sizes are known, everyone will know if there resolution is above, at, or below the game setting.

- If we had this info, it should be an easy matter to deduce the preferred resolution that the game would display all the players problematic views.

I'll assume that some laptops will be the concern as they max out at certain screen sizes and resolutions, and may be under the default mini map display pre-sets. Just like in any problem, get the facts first, then plan the fix.

9erRed
Aim True and Run Cool

Edited by 9erRed, 22 March 2020 - 11:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users