Can't Reinstall Mwo After Hard Drive Failure

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Jumper

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:31 AM

My gaming hard drive failed, and it took MWO with it. The drive had to be physically removed because my computer kept trying to read it anyway, which slowed everything down.
I downloaded the MWO installer, and it keeps saying MWO Portal is already installed.
Then, I tried un-installing MWO from the control panel, and windows told me the drive was missing.
Then I went through the registry and deleted everything I could find with the search function containing the term "MWO". Still installed.
Then I downloaded MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab and used it to "fix" the problem with the control panel uninstall, which it did. Then I successfully uninstalled the program through windows.
The MWO installer still says MWO portal is installed.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Edited by Jack Jumper, 22 March 2020 - 01:33 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostJack Jumper, on 22 March 2020 - 01:31 AM, said:

My gaming hard drive failed, and it took MWO with it. The drive had to be physically removed because my computer kept trying to read it anyway, which slowed everything down.
I downloaded the MWO installer, and it keeps saying MWO Portal is already installed.
Then, I tried un-installing MWO from the control panel, and windows told me the drive was missing.
Then I went through the registry and deleted everything I could find with the search function containing the term "MWO". Still installed.
Then I downloaded MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab and used it to "fix" the problem with the control panel uninstall, which it did. Then I successfully uninstalled the program through windows.
The MWO installer still says MWO portal is installed.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Greetings!

There are two things that you can try:

1) Registry clean-up:

View PostGuardDogg, on 15 February 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Found a fix.

Go into Regedit. Noticed registries (MWO Portal) is also under "HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Wow6432Node"

You will see "Piranha Games"

Delete folder "Piranha Games". Close Regedit, and reinstall.

2) Contact MWO Technical Support and ask them for assistance
Use this e-mail:
technical@mwomercs.com

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

Or download MWO via Steam.

And if at all possible, do not install Steam/game in default location, use something along the line of the following. Even though Windows 10 has clean up assistance, I still see too many issues w/other players who utilize default installation locations, which starting with Vista, going on uses "virtual" installation locations, which can be a pain to drill down to and to clear out.

drive letter:\games\Steam.. \Epic. \Origin.. , etc then those games are installed in their respective launcher subfolders.

Standalone games I use

drive letter:\games\

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 March 2020 - 10:23 AM.

#4 Jack Jumper

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:05 PM

Great News! Searching the registry for "piranha" and deleting the folder worked!

For anyone else with this problem - *do not* install via steam. Not this or any other game if you can avoid it.

Steam adds a whole additional layer of outages, lag, and drm that you just don't need in an era where you can download the game directly from the publisher.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users