#41 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:14 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 26 March 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

If you and your target are moving there will be "lag".

I'm not surprised you're arguing the point, after all, I said it so of course you're going to argue.

Anyway, it wasn't me that discovered, I was told about it by another elite, top 1% player. He told me to get rid of it, that I'd be more accurate without it, even beyond 1500 meters, and low and behold he was right.

If you haven't noticed it, maybe you've just gotten good at automatically compensating for the lag.

I suppose it's possible the lag has been fixed, or at least minimized, but given PGI's track record on fixing any of the 'hard' bugs, I kind of doubt it.

It might be because adv zoom used to be server side, but it's been client side for years now. I have never noticed a lag of any kind using it.

#42 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

View PostCarloArmato, on 25 March 2020 - 04:35 PM, said:

Fair enough. I got some AC20 / SNPPCs headshots too, but even in QP matches I prefer my gauss vomit builds like the warhammer due to being cool on any map and reliable at most mid to long ranges. If gausses were not so fragile though, I would definitely stick a lot closer to both team and the enemy.

I have more than 300 headshots. Now that I think about it, I'm used to sidestrafe aim quite often at the last few moments (i.e. wait for the reticle and my target to reach the desired position rather than actually aim where I expect the target will be) and using advanced zoom gives a bit more detail where and how make corrections and when release the trigger.

As I said, I don't use it below below SRM range, but over 400 (especially 500 meters) it is very noticeable... I've achieved HS at range even without advanced zoom, but target had to be REALLY predictable (3:48)

So you accept up to 0.2 Seconds more lag and try to tell me that you are more accurate with that?

#43 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

View PostVxheous, on 26 March 2020 - 04:21 PM, said:

I was just looking at my Gauss hammer, and I run LFE 280 with only 4 tons gauss ammo. 48 rounds (24 alphas) is enough for a quickplay match to either have won, or have your team steamrolled. I think I only run 3.5 tons on my deathstrike for the same reason

Yeah I think most of my builds still have 5T just out of habit, but I admit I can't remember the last time I ran low on ammo. Shooting gauss 30 times in QP is not all that common I think.

#44 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:26 AM

Yeah look - I have NEVER had ANY lag with ADVz over 3 PCs and 5 years of MWO.

If you have some - it's your PC having issues. I cannot possibly have 3 different PCs/Monitors work flawlessly and there suddenly be some "mystical issue" with ADVz.

#45 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:28 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 March 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

Yeah look - I have NEVER had ANY lag with ADVz over 3 PCs and 5 years of MWO.

If you have some - it's your PC having issues. I cannot possibly have 3 different PCs/Monitors work flawlessly and there suddenly be some "mystical issue" with ADVz.
Lucky you.

Congrats on either having whatever mystical combination of hardware/game settings (or custom user.cfg settings) that avoids it, or congrats on only having used adv zoom on non-moving targets.

If the target isn't moving there won't be any visual lag/desync.

But again congrats, all I know is what was explained to me by someone whose opinion I value, and that I don't actually need to waste the skill points on it (unlike those potatoes you occasionally observe that have LRMs and MPL's and still waste the SP to have adv. zoom, wtf is that all about)...

Edited by Dimento Graven, 28 March 2020 - 03:29 PM.

#46 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 28 March 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

Lucky you.

Congrats on either having whatever mystical combination of hardware/game settings (or custom user.cfg settings) that avoids it, or congrats on only having used adv zoom on non-moving targets.

If the target isn't moving there won't be any visual lag/desync.

But again congrats, all I know is what was explained to me by someone whose opinion I value, and that I don't actually need to waste the skill points on it (unlike those potatoes you occasionally observe that have LRMs and MPL's and still waste the SP to have adv. zoom, wtf is that all about)...

Again, was this opinion before or after they turned adv zoom to client side? (and not server side where there was lag)

#47 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:33 PM

View PostVxheous, on 28 March 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

Again, was this opinion before or after they turned adv zoom to client side? (and not server side where there was lag)
2015/2016 time frame as I recall...

#48 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 28 March 2020 - 06:33 PM, said:

2015/2016 time frame as I recall...

Client side advanced zoom came in 2016, trying to find exact patch, but PGI search is terrible. Found a reddit post complaining about it ~3 years ago, but haven't tracked down which month yet: https://www.reddit.c...g_and_cheaters/

I remember it was after skill tree intro though, because ppl were saying if adv zoom is client side, what's to stop people for exploiting and figuring out a way to activate without needing to unlock 4 pts into the tree. Also remember that I talked to some aussie players about it, and how they were saying they didn't have to wait out the ~300ms ping between activating adz zoom and having the window pop up anymore with the change.

Edit: Zooms were changed in mid 2016, so this was before skill tree implementation (still can't find the correct patch notes, but there is a brown sea thread complaining about client side zoom in Jul 2016) https://mwomercs.com...om-is-horrific/

Edit 2: It is entirely possible that Ash started playing MWO after zoom got moved from server side to client side so he has never had to deal with the zoom lag, while you might've got your advice about it being bad/laggy prior to the zoom changes

Edited by Vxheous, 28 March 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#49 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostVxheous, on 28 March 2020 - 06:43 PM, said:

Client side advanced zoom came in 2016, trying to find exact patch, but PGI search is terrible. Found a reddit post complaining about it ~3 years ago, but haven't tracked down which month yet: https://www.reddit.c...g_and_cheaters/

I remember it was after skill tree intro though, because ppl were saying if adv zoom is client side, what's to stop people for exploiting and figuring out a way to activate without needing to unlock 4 pts into the tree. Also remember that I talked to some aussie players about it, and how they were saying they didn't have to wait out the ~300ms ping between activating adz zoom and having the window pop up anymore with the change.

Edit: Zooms were changed in mid 2016, so this was before skill tree implementation (still can't find the correct patch notes, but there is a brown sea thread complaining about client side zoom in Jul 2016) https://mwomercs.com...om-is-horrific/

Edit 2: It is entirely possible that Ash started playing MWO after zoom got moved from server side to client side so he has never had to deal with the zoom lag, while you might've got your advice about it being bad/laggy prior to the zoom changes

If you know about when it was its sometimes easier to just go to the patch note lists and page search the patch notes individually.
The patch you are thinking of looks to be April.
https://mwomercs.com...-1465-19apr2016

#50 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:59 PM

View Postdario03, on 28 March 2020 - 07:42 PM, said:

If you know about when it was its sometimes easier to just go to the patch note lists and page search the patch notes individually.
The patch you are thinking of looks to be April.
https://mwomercs.com...-1465-19apr2016
Y'know what's sad?

After reading those patch notes it makes me miss the days PGI would try and fix things in this game...

#51 CarloArmato

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPavia - Italy

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:52 AM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 28 March 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

So you accept up to 0.2 Seconds more lag and try to tell me that you are more accurate with that?

I never felt any kind of lag. Most people in this thread acknowledge there is no lag at all and you probably experienced the lag when advanced zoom was server side and not client side... So yes, I feel more accurate with advanced zoom because I feel no lag when activating it.

Due to the fact I've started playing almost regularly since September 2016 (according to Jarl List), it is very likely that I've completely missed the advanced zoom on server side thing.

Edited by CarloArmato, 31 March 2020 - 05:54 AM.

#52 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:01 PM

View PostCarloArmato, on 31 March 2020 - 05:52 AM, said:

I never felt any kind of lag. Most people in this thread acknowledge there is no lag at all and you probably experienced the lag when advanced zoom was server side and not client side... So yes, I feel more accurate with advanced zoom because I feel no lag when activating it.

Due to the fact I've started playing almost regularly since September 2016 (according to Jarl List), it is very likely that I've completely missed the advanced zoom on server side thing.

The time the window needs to open is what? 0.25 secs? Thats adds to lag.
Also since In Zoom some mist dissapears or get loaded you have a little micro stutter when opening zoom.
Also some details on mechs and environment are loaded or discarded based on the zoom level.
I am not talking about a delay that keeps persiting the whole time.

Had that on 4 System across Intel andAMD Processors with any combination with Nvidia and Radeon cards.
I notice it and it throws me off.

Edited by Dr Cara Carcass, 31 March 2020 - 03:06 PM.

#53 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:03 PM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 31 March 2020 - 03:01 PM, said:

The time the window needs to open is what? 0.25 secs? Thats adds to lag.
Also since In Zoom some mist dissapears or get loaded you have a little micro stutter when opening zoom.
Also some details on mechs and environment are loaded or discarded based on the zoom level.
I am not talking about a delay that keeps persiting the whole time.

Had that on 4 System across Intel andAMD Processors with any combination with Nvidia and Radeon cards.
I notice it and it throws me off.

I'm more accurate trading at 1000m+ with adv zoom, and I did that through MWOWC.....

#54 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:15 PM

i for one never liked advanced zoom. but im playing at 4k and can see mechs pretty well at a click or more with just standard zoom. also it never worked with my trackir. i tried macroing it so it would disable head tracking and activate adv zoom at the same time, but it never worked right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users