Hiding To Conserve Kdr

85 replies to this topic

#1 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

So Im sure weve all seen it, but it seems to be becoming a more common trend. People hiding, when the match is clearly lost, to preserve their KDR. We all know the ones who do it consistently in QP. There are variations whether its running away, power down, or running to the other side of the map, letting time run down, and then issuing a "challenge" with too little time left. Its annoying for plenty of reasons, but Id never actually thought it might be an infraction against the CoC. Here are a few sections that appear to make this action a breach of the CoC:

The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:

• Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.

• Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.

Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

I think its pretty clear its an infraction according to that text, but nobody seems to report it. Most people, myself included simply role our eyes, or just throw so verbal jabs at the guilty party. Is it just seen as a misdemeanor crime and not a felony so nobody cares? Or is it just one of those things weve come to accept?

Edited by Black Caiman, 25 March 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#2 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

We need 24 people to play this game. So we need ALL the people. And besides it is not like they have meaningful contribution in the match either way, might as well ignore them and keep on keeping on.

#3 Stormpaw

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

people can't be bothered to record a video, clip it, and email it to pgi? but you go right ahead

fact is pgi actually reacts to emailed violation reports quite well, and often bans players based on those, but the in game report function does nothing, that's just to make the reporter feel better

#4 GM Patience

Senior Customer Service Agent

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:42 PM

Both reports received in the game and via email are being investigated. Please report players violating our rules and we will take the appropriate action. It is actually easier for us to investigate the reports received in the game as we can access the reported game/player directly. Thanks

#5 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 25 March 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

We need 24 people to play this game. So we need ALL the people. And besides it is not like they have meaningful contribution in the match either way, might as well ignore them and keep on keeping on.

TheBeef = #1 MechPilot in my books. More than a Guru, and a awesome guy to.

Edited by GuardDogg, 25 March 2020 - 01:15 PM.

#6 Stormpaw

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:26 PM

View PostGM Patience, on 25 March 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

Both reports received in the game and via email are being investigated. Please report players violating our rules and we will take the appropriate action. It is actually easier for us to investigate the reports received in the game as we can access the reported game/player directly. Thanks

This is simply not true, I've been in many a games where a player was clearly violating TOS, many players in the drop have reported the player via in game reporting function, and no action was ever taken. This was even the case where a player violated TOS multiple games in a row, and was reported by many players in the drop multiple games in a row. No action was taken.

To be fair I understand why that is, because the system is so easily abused, it takes 2 seconds to send in a report, it will take 10 minutes to analyze it. You can be receiving a massive amount of reports which are impossible to follow up on. Also some groups/units used to mass report players they simply don't like (until they gave up because thankfully it didn't do anything).

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:24 PM

View PostGM Patience, on 25 March 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

Problem is that the available report categories don't exactly apply here. The closest thing is AFK, but... well, they aren't technically AFK either.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:28 PM

The TOS says:

"Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory."

Then which clock, if game timer OK, fair enough.

As for the Domination Timer, I don't think that counts, and at most players only have to wait a minute.

So I am assuming running out the Domination timer is acceptable doh clarification would be noice.

#9 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

View PostStormpaw, on 25 March 2020 - 01:26 PM, said:

This is simply not true, I've been in many a games where a player was clearly violating TOS, many players in the drop have reported the player via in game reporting function, and no action was ever taken. This was even the case where a player violated TOS multiple games in a row, and was reported by many players in the drop multiple games in a row. No action was taken.

To be fair I understand why that is, because the system is so easily abused, it takes 2 seconds to send in a report, it will take 10 minutes to analyze it. You can be receiving a massive amount of reports which are impossible to follow up on. Also some groups/units used to mass report players they simply don't like (until they gave up because thankfully it didn't do anything).
Yeah, well so many people out there have taking up being a victim as a hobby. These idiots say and do anything they want and then the moment you give them back in kind what they've been driveling out their pie hole for the past 30 matches, BOOM, report.

It also includes the cry babies who can't take any sort of criticism. "You weren't 'positive' when speaking about my spudlike play, WAAAAH, report." These are the same idiots who call 911 when their neighbor tells yells at them to get their dog off the lawn, and to pick up their dogs poo...

When did people, ESPECIALLY citizens of the US, become so goddamned stupid and sensitive?

Edited by Dimento Graven, 25 March 2020 - 03:35 PM.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 25 March 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

Yeah, well so many people out there have taking up being a victim as a hobby. These idiots say and do anything they want and then the moment you give them back in kind what they've been driveling out their pie hole for the past 30 matches, BOOM, report.

It also includes the cry babies who can't take any sort of criticism. "You weren't 'positive' when speaking about my spudlike play, WAAAAH, report." These are the same idiots who call 911 when their neighbor tells yells at them to get their dog off the lawn, and to pick up their dogs poo...

When did people, ESPECIALLY citizens of the US, become so goddamned stupid and sensitive?

Personally, I blame Gamergate.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

or lack of

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

To further clarify, u let the dom counter count down you concede the game in under a minute which in my mind is reasonable.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:24 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 25 March 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

To further clarify, u let the dom counter count down you concede the game in under a minute which in my mind is reasonable.

I'm ok with this as long as you're the last 'mech left or there's a general consensus among the 'mechs still standing.

If your team is fighting in the ring, you back them up.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:35 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 March 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Personally, I blame Gamergate.

Thanks Obama!

#15 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:08 AM

Personally, I think players need to try to win or force a tie if they possibly can....And also shouldn’t waste the time of other players. So...no cowardice just to preserve kdr.
In domination: As long as you have weapons, there is no excuse to not fight for the circle in domination. If you don’t have weapons, and it isn’t 11-11....well ok...there is probably no way you can win. If it’s 11-11, you still might be able to win if you are up on the timer and can avoid contact or run the other guy out of ammo. It happens...
In assault or conquest, even if you don’t have weapons....try to cap...as you are still trying to win....I saw a tie forced on assault 2 days ago by a guy with no weapons, who didn’t give up....last enemy ran out of ammo trying to kill him and no one could cap the base before time ran out.
In skirmish/incursion , don’t waste everyone’s time by running off and hiding. Your kdr isn’t that precious.

#16 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

This is why you never vote SKIRMISH. In assault, conquest, domination, and even incursion you can force a win via objective that has to be contested or the match is forfeit. In skirmish you can theoretically hide for the entire match and do 0 damage, but still drag out the timer because the timer is the only way to force a win in that game mode. There are always 2 modes to vote for, so you're never forced to play skirmish. You choose to play it. Enjoy your choice.

#17 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

View PostStormpaw, on 25 March 2020 - 01:26 PM, said:

Quoted for truth.

I've even provided video evidence of people false reporting, on a constant basis, nothing was done about it.

The only time anything is really actioned is if you are "on the dartboard in the tearoom".

Otherwise you can basically break ToS all day long and nothing gets done about it no matter how many times it is reported.

#18 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

I think most of us have seen the same few people doing this kind of thing over and over for years on end, and reported them enough times to realize that nothing ever really happens.

A certain ERLL ACH aficionado comes to mind- almost always the last mech alive on his team, almost always found shut down somewhere trying to hide, then spends 2-5 minutes running while half a team chases him around and he shuts down over and over from barely damaging, too hot alphas. The fact that he does power back up and sort of fights a little bit probably saves him, but he's wasted an enormous amount of time over the years. Especially frustrating because he's not an awful player, just chooses to play a certain irritating way. I know for a fact this example player has been reported by multiple people in this thread multiple times, on recorded games.

#19 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 March 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Quoted for truth.

I've even provided video evidence of people false reporting, on a constant basis, nothing was done about it.

The only time anything is really actioned is if you are "on the dartboard in the tearoom".

Otherwise you can basically break ToS all day long and nothing gets done about it no matter how many times it is reported.
Actually I think favorites are being played. Certain people who are known to 'brown nose' and/or 'white knight' for PGI seem to be able to get away with a lot more than those who are more critical of PGI.

That bias shows up here in the forums too, where certain people are stomped on immediately the moment they get infinitesimally out of line, then there are those who get grossly out of line and the moderators never touch 'em, and will at most only censor their posts and that's if people go to extremes to point it out.

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:19 PM

View PostKodyn, on 26 March 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

A certain ERLL ACH aficionado comes to mind- almost always the last mech alive on his team, almost always found shut down somewhere trying to hide, then spends 2-5 minutes running while half a team chases him around and he shuts down over and over from barely damaging, too hot alphas. The fact that he does power back up and sort of fights a little bit probably saves him, but he's wasted an enormous amount of time over the years. Especially frustrating because he's not an awful player, just chooses to play a certain irritating way. I know for a fact this example player has been reported by multiple people in this thread multiple times, on recorded games.

I asked him, if he runs anything else than his Arctic Cheetah. The answer was: "No."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users