Hiding To Conserve Kdr

85 replies to this topic

#41 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Some of the players being mentioned have extremely annoying and/or poor play styles, but they aren't breaking any rules per se. As long as you are shooting the opposing team or attempting to play objectives its acceptable even if its obnoxious. The ones Im talking about are literally throwing a match to preserve KDR. Whether its running away from the domination circle or hiding so the opposing team will cap their base instead of killing them. They will often blame their teams poor play as an excuse for them running and hiding thinking that's justification for their cowardice. You know youre one of these players when you have fewer deaths then you have losses. If you lose a match you should die 99% of the time (exceptions might be if youre trying to play the cap game in Conquest or Domination), and unless youre a total coward you should die in some of your wins too.

#42 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

Happened to me today. The match came down to 11-11 on Assault. Our guy was a potato lrm-assault who couldn't hit anything, their guy was Streakwolf who ran out of ammo. Luckily for us, their guy was also a kdr-preserving coward who ran off and shut down. Our guy slowly plodded to their base and we won.

#43 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 27 March 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

Fixed that for ya. and not that PGI cares, but it's the next best thing to a TK, sadly (which at that point of the game isn't an option anymore, so..)
I instead get 'judgy' and make sarcastic remarks in chat.

I'll only report people for getting 'racial', beyond that I am wearing big boy pants, I'll either live with it, or try and give back as good as I get...

Reporting aka, Tattling is for the weak minded and those who WANT to be seen as 'victims'... those insipid morons can just go ahead and die for all I'm concerned...

#44 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:49 PM

You run out of bounds to suicide, you should get reported.

You run away from the domination circle and don't try to contest it somehow, you should get reported.

You actively practice mental gymnastics to say 'you're denying a kill for the stat padders', you should get reported.

Play the game or leave. I can live with a smaller population over you driving more players off.

Edited by Temporary Axis, 28 March 2020 - 09:49 PM.

#45 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:48 AM

View PostTemporary Axis, on 28 March 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

You run away from the domination circle and don't try to contest it somehow, you should get reported.

You actively practice mental gymnastics to say 'you're denying a kill for the stat padders', you should get reported.

Play the game or leave. I can live with a smaller population over you driving more players off.
Yeah... No.

You run out of bounds to suicide, you should get reported expect and have to endure sarcastic/caustic comments from everyone in the match.

You run away from the domination circle and don't try to contest it somehow, you should get reported expect and have to endure sarcastic/caustic comments from everyone in the match.

You actively practice mental gymnastics to say 'you're denying a kill for the stat padders', you should get reported expect and have to endure sarcastic/caustic comments from everyone in the match.

Peer pressure works better than some 'boogeyman'.

Besides the sarcastic/caustic comments are one hell of a lot more entertaining than the constant whining for "everyone report him"...

Oh, and people should learn to grow up and deal with things they don't like, not immediately seek some higher power to 'strike down' the person that is some how 'victimizing' them (only in their own minds)....

Edited by Dimento Graven, 29 March 2020 - 12:49 AM.

#46 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:43 AM

Problem with that is, trolls do things for attention, negative especially. Whereas most of the things you brought up Dimento are TOS violations. While I'm all for beating your neighbor within an inch of his life over a grievance as opposed to calling the cops, this is online. Online there's no bigger {Richard Cameron} to flop out. You just report and move on, get the toxic individual out of whatever situation they're ruining.

Peer pressure only worked on millennials and older as well, these kids now seem to get off on doing exactly the opposite of anything productive. Oh, there's an event going on where everyone really needs damage padding and match score? Let me suicide out of bounds, or cap win so no one can fight, etc....

People are trash sometimes and just love to troll and ruin someone else's day. Report and move on, don't engage, don't encourage with comments.

#47 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:05 AM

Running out of bounds has multiple purposes, if PGI really didn't want people to run out of bounds they could use invisible walls.

When it's 8 vs. 1 there's no harm in letting the enemy score the cap, when it's 1v1 it's situational. In any objective based mode there's an objective. Cap it! Running away is only a real problem when it comes to skirmish, which is, unfortunately, how some people want every mode to play.

Maybe the stat padders should cap the objective rather than chase the easy kill round the map for 5 minutes. Or as you put it:

You chase an easy kill instead of playing the objective, you should get reported.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 29 March 2020 - 06:05 AM.

#48 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:20 AM

I feel like it wouldn't be as big of an issue if maps and modes were both designed better, and matched up better as well. For instance, you get Assault on a bigger map with a lot of gnarly terrain, like Therma, get somewhere out in the middle and find out you're being capped, 9 times out of 10 game is over without a shot. Sure, you could camp the base. What happens when the other team has the same idea and it takes you 10 minutes to establish this? Fun all around. This is why most people on most objective modes kill first, do the objective after. Aside from Dom obviously which you can only ignore for so long, it generally works.

When people rush an objective on a lot of these maps, it's usually because they hate said map/mode and don't feel like playing it, so they're trying to move on. Problem is, what if the rest of you actually want to fight and have a full match? We don't have a very good balance between the community creating our own quality of life and PGI giving us the tools. We know most of the maps suck, most of the modes are pointless, and a lot of the combinations of the two can be just godawful. But we're here playing anyway. So it'd be cool if we worked together a bit more on not trolling ourselves. Of course everyone's idea of fun is different, it's a F2P online game, there's little incentive to do things right vs wrong....Shrug.

Add to that many of us on the forums already do what we can to try to improve our QOL while playing, the ones detracting from it are not here reading these posts, and the state of the game's population, and I don't think we're likely to see much change anytime soon. But it is nice to discuss these things at least.

#49 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 29 March 2020 - 06:05 AM, said:

Running out of bounds has multiple purposes,

Suiciding by running OOB doesn't.

#50 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

View PostHorseman, on 29 March 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

Suiciding (using any method) without cause should be reportable/bannable.

But if the last two mechs are lurm boats with no ammo and no backup weapons, do you really want to watch them dance for 10 minutes?

Edited by VonBruinwald, 29 March 2020 - 02:10 PM.

#51 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:53 PM

View PostKodyn, on 29 March 2020 - 03:43 AM, said:

... While I'm all for beating your neighbor within an inch of his life over a grievance as opposed to calling the cops, this is online...
Who said anything about ACTUALLY engaging in violence? I said sarcasm and chastisement. It works wonders. I asked one of the people in my neighborhood if she lived in the neighborhood after she tried walking off leaving her dog's crap in my yard. I asked where so that I could return the 'fertilization favor' and take a dump on her yard. Needless to say that stupid twit crosses the street before getting to my yard when walking her dogs.

... Peer pressure only worked on millennials and older as well, these kids now seem to get off on doing exactly the opposite of anything productive.

Actually you're wrong, peer pressure works wonders, it's just that too many people are too busy reporting each other for stupid minor ****, they don't have time to properly apply it.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 29 March 2020 - 03:56 PM.

#52 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

View PostHorseman, on 29 March 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

That's why our fusion engines should do a Stackpole (and by the way, table top rules) explosion.

Let 'em run into the center of the enemy and become their own arti-strike.

It'd be a lot of fun and add a missing dynamic to the game.

#53 MisterSomaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:40 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 29 March 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

That's why our fusion engines should do a Stackpole (and by the way, table top rules) explosion.

Let 'em run into the center of the enemy and become their own arti-strike.

It'd be a lot of fun and add a missing dynamic to the game.

that's not even a real TT rule, dude. It was introduced in the novels for flavor. Fusion reactors don't actually explode like that, they just shut down and shove out waste heat through whatever section is breached.
If you're going to act like a boomer, don't be a senile one.

#54 DontTaseMeBro

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 29 March 2020 - 01:58 PM, said:

Suiciding (using any method) without cause should be reportable/bannable.

But if the last two mechs are lurm boats with no ammo and no backup weapons, do you really want to watch them dance for 10 minutes?

If it's reportable/bannable or against the rules then why allow it? They don't have to kill you if you run out of bounds.....

Hell, they can just ban you if you run out of bounds or away from the circle.....

These are all grey areas that while might not be normal behavior, it's allowed in the game and part of the game and how do you prove someone's motives. Were they griefing? Did they just make a mistake? Did they forget perhaps it was domination?

Edited by DontTaseMeBro, 29 March 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#55 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 29 March 2020 - 12:48 AM, said:

Yeah... No.

You run out of bounds to suicide, you should get reported expect and have to endure sarcastic/caustic comments from everyone in the match.

You run away from the domination circle and don't try to contest it somehow, you should get reported expect and have to endure sarcastic/caustic comments from everyone in the match.

You actively practice mental gymnastics to say 'you're denying a kill for the stat padders', you should get reported expect and have to endure sarcastic/caustic comments from everyone in the match.

Peer pressure works better than some 'boogeyman'.

Besides the sarcastic/caustic comments are one hell of a lot more entertaining than the constant whining for "everyone report him"...

Oh, and people should learn to grow up and deal with things they don't like, not immediately seek some higher power to 'strike down' the person that is some how 'victimizing' them (only in their own minds)....

Your assumption is a little off.

You should be reported, never said I would call for mass reporting by players. That's a personal call as you illustrate.

As for sarcastic or caustic comment - I find this amusing from the player who streams his bad habit of whinging over 'ABUSE' of jump jet hopping and SRM use because he can't hold steady aim.

Additionally, peer pressure did nothing to curb such an attitude, as you're still doing it.

Maybe the above will direct you to 'learn to grow up and deal with it' before the power of Scout Derek strikes you down. (again.... and again..... and.... nevermind)

Edited by Temporary Axis, 29 March 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#56 Temporary Axis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:45 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 29 March 2020 - 06:05 AM, said:

Running out of bounds has multiple purposes, if PGI really didn't want people to run out of bounds they could use invisible walls.

When it's 8 vs. 1 there's no harm in letting the enemy score the cap, when it's 1v1 it's situational. In any objective based mode there's an objective. Cap it! Running away is only a real problem when it comes to skirmish, which is, unfortunately, how some people want every mode to play.

Maybe the stat padders should cap the objective rather than chase the easy kill round the map for 5 minutes. Or as you put it:

I never expressed or agreed with that last statement. Killing the enemy is part of the objective. Plenty of other FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS you can not trial and turn into need for speed underground.

Suicide out of bounds is expressly a violation of the COC.

Do what you're going to do, just don't twist your logic into thinking you aren't.

#57 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

View PostTemporary Axis, on 29 March 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

Your assumption is a little off.

You should be reported, never said I would call for mass reporting by players. That's a personal call as you illustrate.

As for sarcastic or caustic comment - I find this amusing from the player who streams his bad habit of whinging over 'ABUSE' of jump jet hopping and SRM use because he can't hold steady aim.

Additionally, peer pressure did nothing to curb such an attitude, as you're still doing it.

Maybe the above will direct you to 'learn to grow up and deal with it' before the power of Scout Derek strikes you down. (again.... and again..... and.... nevermind)

Posted Image

#58 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

Just asking for a little clarification.
I have read a lot about suicide out of bounds is against the rules.
What about setting override and continuing to fire your weapons until you overheat and die?
I have spectated this happening a few times on the last surviving player.
And, to be honest, I have died by overheat several times while still engaged with the enemy, but never alone.
Does the rule for suicide apply to all 'self inflicted' deaths?

#59 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

View PostMisterSomaru, on 29 March 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

that's not even a real TT rule, dude. It was introduced in the novels for flavor. Fusion reactors don't actually explode like that, they just shut down and shove out waste heat through whatever section is breached.
If you're going to act like a boomer, don't be a senile one.
Yeah it was, as I recall it was based on engine rating, and would all 'mechs within two hexes of the 'mech that had an exploding engine, maybe I'll look it up later or extract it from one of my digital copies of the rule books, but I know for sure there are rules for it.

It always makes me laugh that people say fusion engines can't/don't explode.

First: We don't have any fusion engines that can run long enough to actually prove that.
Secondly: Yes, they most probably could under various circumstances, like for example, in a tokamak reactor where the fusion reaction is contained by a magnetic bottle, the super heat plasma that's heated to tens of thousands of degrees, once free of the bottle that heat plasma would vaporize the inside of the fusion engine, causing the materials the fusion chamber is constructed of to sublimate into super heated gas which results in tremendous amounts of pressure, which would cause an explosion very similar to a steam engine explosion, which is typically huge pressure wave followed by lots of heat.

#60 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 29 March 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

Just asking for a little clarification.
I have read a lot about suicide out of bounds is against the rules.
What about setting override and continuing to fire your weapons until you overheat and die?
I have spectated this happening a few times on the last surviving player.
And, to be honest, I have died by overheat several times while still engaged with the enemy, but never alone.
Does the rule for suicide apply to all 'self inflicted' deaths?

as a "last man standing" manouver that is alright; if you're gonna die anyway (say 5 guys shooting at you) and you're the last one of the field.. heck, override and try to take one with you, sure ;)

if however there's a chance to turn it around, you don't.

that being said: override is the FIRST button I'd push each and every match I was in. takes a bit of practice, but doesn't left you stranded in bad positions; better to pay for your error with A LITTLE BIT of internal structure than with your whole mech.
again: NOT a free-pass to overheat yourself - just an ensurance and you better watch your heat twice doing that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users