21 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:55 AM

I was looking for a build with a loadout that doesn't have a ghost heat on anything while making use of all of the available hardpoints. It seems like 6 MPLs + 5 ER Micros + UAC20 is a good place to start. I can alpha strike and incur no ghost heat while the heat is quite manageable. But such a build requires Cool Run and Heat Containment as well as all of the Heat Gen. nodes (along with the usual weapon nodes like UAC jam duration and magazine capacity) leaving no room for Armour and Structure nodes. The Kodiak seems like it can't take a beating at all and I definitely want some Survival nodes.

#2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:58 AM

"HOW DO YOU BUILD A KODIAK 5?"

short answer: you don't. take the KDK3 Posted Image

I'd like to recommend the spiritbear, too, but unless I've missed some important balance-changes (haha), it still has abysmal mobility :(
man, I miss the days that thing was mobile. SO much fun, but no more :-S

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 27 March 2020 - 08:01 AM.

#3 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:04 AM

Kare Bear!

#4 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 March 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

I was looking for a build with a loadout that doesn't have a ghost heat on anything while making use of all of the available hardpoints. It seems like 6 MPLs + 5 ER Micros + UAC20 is a good place to start. I can alpha strike and incur no ghost heat while the heat is quite manageable. But such a build requires Cool Run and Heat Containment as well as all of the Heat Gen. nodes (along with the usual weapon nodes like UAC jam duration and magazine capacity) leaving no room for Armour and Structure nodes. The Kodiak seems like it can't take a beating at all and I definitely want some Survival nodes.

The easy answer is don't.

You are correct that the Kodiak isn't tanky. It's agility is bad and it is relatively easy to isolate its hitboxes. Because of that it's a bit of a tough mech to use low mounts on, but you might consider some kind of laser vom in each arm and pretending the ballistic mount doesn't exist. Alternatively, you could do gauss vom in the right side and more erml or something in the left arm. I haven't tested either of those ideas, so I have no idea if they are at all viable, but it seems like you would want to build this as a corner-peeker and mid-range would be safer than going into UAC20/MPL range.

EDIT: I forgot you wanted to avoid ghost heat. Neither of the builds I suggested would do that, but it is what it is.

Edited by Brauer, 27 March 2020 - 09:21 AM.

#5 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:29 AM

First things first, I believe this thread belongs here: https://mwomercs.com...lt-mech-builds/ Second, if memory serves, ghost heat is calculated within one second time-frame. So you can setup two weapon groups of weapons so that EACH ONE of these groups is legal and simply fire them at one second interval. With MWO tempo of things one second is nothing big if it involves anything under 50 t (with exceptions), so you can build something like KDK-5 and maybe not cook yourself right away. Also Spirit Bear has MASC at least, so better than nothing.

#6 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 27 March 2020 - 09:29 AM, said:

First things first, I believe this thread belongs here: https://mwomercs.com...lt-mech-builds/ Second, if memory serves, ghost heat is calculated within one second time-frame. So you can setup two weapon groups of weapons so that EACH ONE of these groups is legal and simply fire them at one second interval. With MWO tempo of things one second is nothing big if it involves anything under 50 t (with exceptions), so you can build something like KDK-5 and maybe not cook yourself right away. Also Spirit Bear has MASC at least, so better than nothing.

It's a half second interval.

#7 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:36 AM

half a second, like Brauer said.

and the masc on the SB: yeah, it goes from "abysmally slow freight train" to "abysmally slow freight train, but you gotta push an additional button". it's still yukky in the mobility appartment, which is the one thing it did well before the great nerf.

#8 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 27 March 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

half a second, like Brauer said.

and the masc on the SB: yeah, it goes from "abysmally slow freight train" to "abysmally slow freight train, but you gotta push an additional button". it's still yukky in the mobility appartment, which is the one thing it did well before the great nerf.

But... but... 100 ALPHA!!!

#9 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

10 cMPL, XL390, 30 DHS, TC1

#10 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

https://mech.nav-alp...#40a04980_KDK-5

#11 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:28 PM

only problem is no hardpoints for LRM5

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:29 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 27 March 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

I hate encountering that one.

#13 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 27 March 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

Use single heat sinks and maybe we can have a conversation.

#14 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 27 March 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

But... but... 100 ALPHA!!!

I hope that was sarcasm, cause that build is really terribad ;-)

*nevermind, saw the rest of this horror-cabinet @builds
you are serious ;))

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 27 March 2020 - 03:38 PM.

#15 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

Well, judging by the responses, the Kodiak is a joke no matter the variant. Pity. It's such a great looking mech.

#16 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 March 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

Well, judging by the responses, the Kodiak is a joke no matter the variant. Pity. It's such a great looking mech.

Only the 3 and SB is worth it, but PGI **** r@ped all variants because the 3. That is the PGI way.

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 27 March 2020 - 06:05 PM, said:

Only the 3 and SB is worth it, but PGI **** r@ped all variants because the 3. That is the PGI way.

I'd caution anyone about using the 3 as well, because it has a very, very poor torso movement range. That coupled with awful acceleration means it is simple to flank that variant.

#18 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, I figured the mobility is terrible as I tested the 3. Hence I was trying to figure something out for other variants. It's a real shame that PGI decided to, rather than make other mechs good, they make good mechs bad to even out the playing field. Morons.

#19 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 March 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yeah, I figured the mobility is terrible as I tested the 3. Hence I was trying to figure something out for other variants. It's a real shame that PGI decided to, rather than make other mechs good, they make good mechs bad to even out the playing field. Morons.

Yes it is unfortunate when balance outright destroys something. I ran the 3 in s7 season 1 until I switched to the lb40 whammy, and then discovered the warhawk b god mode build which presumably got it sent up to d1 in the following seasons to die against hordes of anis. Boo.

#20 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 27 March 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

My Timberwolves are still using crutches after being denied proper buff for years when other mechs came out more stronger than itself, and I bet they still claim it S tier despite it falling to D tier at best. And the latest model changes killed off the ATM 30 build since large launchers will always prioritize bring on top unlike before you could have the atm6 at top and the atm9 on the bottom.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users