Useful Trivia For New Players

24 replies to this topic

#1 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:28 AM

I'll start with the two best pieces of advice I got when I started. Note the "Trivia" in the title, we aren't trying for Sun Tzu.

Map "Left Alt" to target lock and keep your left thumb resting on it when your fingers are on the WAD movement keys. One twitch, no reaching = target lock. And it is right next to the Jump Jets.

Lower your mouse sensitivity. I have mine at 1000. I am not the best shot but this helps. I also got a gaming mouse with a DPI button that reduces the DPI from 1000 to 300 when held down with the thumb. Great for ERLLs when shooting at wall peekers.

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:44 AM

"Toggle selected weapon group" can be used to toggle ECM, Stealth Armour, (L)AMS:

Map it somewhere convenient and highlight the selected system at the start of the match (cursor keys).

You no longer need to worry about remembering 3 different keys for your subsystems.

#3 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:53 AM

Use the command wheel -> spot target to mark your current target OR the enemy under your reticule on the minimap for several seconds. They stay marked on the minimap even if they break LOS.

Some 'Mechs have weapon bay doors, such as the Kintaro-18 (centre torso) and Dervish (side torsos). Weapon doors that house weapons with ammo remaining add 20% damage resistance when closed, but in this state they must open before you fire, which adds significant delay when you pull the trigger. You can equip a rocket launcher in a weapon bay door location to give you a cheap armour bonus - just don't fire it.

Use consumables, the first node in the Aux skill tree is the most important skill node in the game.

#4 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:00 AM

Something trivial thing that I just learned( from watching one of twitch streamers), that I never thought of before is on the dark maps, adjust your brightness in settings it makes a big difference in what you can see without having to use night vision as much.

#5 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:42 AM

Figure a way to make controls easier for you based on other games you play. A W S D default movement, "G" Call arty, "F" Call Airstike, "C" Coolshot, "Shift" Mask (not toggle), "Left Control" Toggle Arm Lock, "R" Tagret Lock (Tap to find new target, let it sit there till you find something else.) "Home" UAV,

As far as toggling cockpit items, and bolts ons, if you don't want ot use them, why equip them.

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 19 April 2020 - 07:00 AM, said:

Something trivial thing that I just learned( from watching one of twitch streamers), that I never thought of before is on the dark maps, adjust your brightness in settings it makes a big difference in what you can see without having to use night vision as much.

I'll give this here a go!

#6 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:25 AM

Uav Uses:

Uavs can have two main uses. You can equip 1 uav 40,000 c-bills. Check the auto-fil box and the game will reload it for you between matches. simply un-check auto fill to do it manually. It will cost 40,000 c-bills per use. Invest skills in the aux tree to make it last longer, have longer range and get a second one.

1. You can "scout" hills,ramps or other areas you think have enemy hiding behind with a uav or if you wish to save the uav for later hit the f3 key to turn on/off the 3pv camera.

2. Uavs detect and counter nearby enemy ecms. When you find yourself under ecm with the red icon on the right of your hud or think an enemy ecm is close use the uav. Uavs WILL NOT counter or detect a stealth mech. Thermal or night vision and looking for it might. If you think what you are looking at is a stealth mech shoot it.

If you want to counter ecm without paying the cost of a uav equip items like the beagle active probe,a tag laser, invest in the narc launcher and two or three tons ammo for it. The narc is a "missile" you shoot at ecms which counter that ecm mech only for longer than a uav and is timed counter around 20-35 seconds before it wears off. The narc also shows the ecm mech to the entire team (yours) and appears to have a wi-fi signal marking it.

#7 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:44 AM

You can swap the position of two decals by sliding one decal over the other (in the decals list).

#8 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:55 AM

The most important piece of trivia, generally killing mechs is more important and does more to drive wins than "playing the objective".

#9 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:22 AM

#1 Set your mouse sensitivity down. Way down. Lower. LOWER. 0.1 is fine. 0.2 is too much. The default setting in MWO is plain wrong.

#2 The default Field of View setting of 60 is the appropriate setting for watching a screen from a sofa. You are likely to be sitting much closer to your display than that. Try anything between 80 and 100 instead. Mine is set to 79, but I have an unusually tall 16:10 ratio display and most people use 16:9.

#10 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

If your mouse has a tiltable mousewheel you can easily map stuff there .

#11 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:25 AM

i have a few questions for FP.

if you are about to die and you drop an arty, does that damage even register? does the enemy even feel that damage ?

how do you change your drop zone to a different area. I heard some guys are able to change their drop zones.

#12 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:43 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 19 April 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

i have a few questions for FP.

if you are about to die and you drop an arty, does that damage even register? does the enemy even feel that damage ?

how do you change your drop zone to a different area. I heard some guys are able to change their drop zones.

damage registers, but it does not get added to your damage numbers

you have to be the commander to move players between lances (yourself included), you can grab the commander star in lobby, or once the game started in by opening the map, this is of course unless someone else already took it

#13 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:11 AM

Watch the minimap. If five seconds have passed without you peeking at the minimap, you are five seconds behind everyone else in the match. The importance of situational awareness cannot be stressed enough.

Ghost heat has half a second delay. That means you can actually bring as many PPC's as you want, you just need to grow some fingers, map another weapon group for half of them or so and stagger them with half a second interval.

If you aim for front CT, try to aim for the head. Even if you miss that pixel you will still hit CT, so there is nothing to lose. See also mouse sensitivity.

IS double heavy cheese builds are probably the only situation when it is practical to use CASE. Even if half the mech is blown off, you can still use the other side.

Often overlooked is the fact that you share the target information with your team. That means the skill nodes associated with targeting, including target info gathering, benefit your entire team and not just yourself.

If you see a UAV and do not know which team it belongs to, hit Q by default. It displays all friendly and detected enemy units in 3D field of view. If the UAV has a blue icon, leave it hanging. If it has a red icon or none at all, move your reticle over it until your rangefinder displays some range number (in contrast to no number at all when the reticle is aimed at the empty sky) and shoot it down.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:27 PM

You don't have to be stuck in basic green.

[Basic] Red, Purple, Orange and Blue can all be bought for CBills.

(On the colour tab select ALL and change to BASIC!)

#15 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:11 PM

View PostBrauer, on 19 April 2020 - 08:55 AM, said:

The most important piece of trivia, generally killing mechs is more important and does more to drive wins than "playing the objective".

And shooting mecha rather than running in circles like dogs chasing each others tail generally leads to more wins.

#16 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

PGI has taught me some cold hard lessons about video games and how they work

I did find something that I hope will help

https://www.smart-sa...4xoCVXUQAvD_BwE

#17 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:14 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 19 April 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

Uavs WILL NOT counter or detect a stealth mech.

Counter no, but detect? Hm, I'd like a second opinion here.

My noob tips:

1. Press J to counter ECM (you need to have ECM yourself, J is default button).

2. When MASCing, use your jump jets and continue to fly at MASC speed, even if you let go of the MASC button, as long as you are airboune. This prolongs the MASC period. (This is actually not a noob tip but a pro tip Posted Image )

#18 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:43 AM

This was a good one found in New Player Stratagies...

https://mwomercs.com...ics-101-comics/

#19 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:36 AM

You can move your mech's arms independently of the torso to wave at your friends. This may have some use in aiming too.

#20 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:05 AM

You can clone decals to keep the same proportions/locations:

View PostVonBruinwald, on 09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

There's several reasons you might want to clone a decal, for me it mostly down to symmetry, flipping decals and keeping the same proportions can be a pain sometimes. It can also be used to keep decals aligned when layering them; clone the decal, then swap it out for something else to keep the same position/size, particularly handy on mechs where the decals 'jump' when placed. MCII I'm looking at you.
  • Place the decal you want cloned in Slot 1,
  • Save your mech,
  • Drag the decal from slot 1 into slot 2,
  • Select slot 1,
  • Click "Reset to last saved",
  • Both slots now contain the same decal, same location, same size
Posted Image

Note: This does work with any combination of slots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users