17 replies to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:57 PM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...1cbdccc817e4a00

This requires a full heat support in the tech tree. But it should have a normal alpha without damage. Unless the flamer triggers it. Would this be good as a jump bear of doom?!

Edited by Arugela, 19 April 2020 - 06:09 PM.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:31 PM

You didn't link the "Save and Share" hash, so we can't see what your build was - I'm guessing it's a HML boating build? I'd recommend not going heavy medium lasers on a Kodiak: long cooldown, short range, high heat, and a 1.45 beam duration make for a build that's too hot to fight close-in, and too short-ranged to trade at longer ranges - and it's one of the slowest 'mechs. To top it off, the flamer is a very heat-intensive weapon if used continuously.

cUAC/10s, on the other hand, will rip into people at several times the effective range of the Heavy Medium, and sustain combat DPS for a much longer period of time.

To put it another way, you're trying to make a laser brawler, but you're not totally sure it won't melt itself down into commemorative ingots the first time you alpha strike. Not a good idea.

Edited by Void Angel, 19 April 2020 - 04:33 PM.

#3 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:10 PM

Fixed. I don't know if it will cause overload for alphas. It will just barely take damage if it's clicked probably.

Would having a light tag with the normal tag do any good? That would get rid of the heat issues. I've never used two tags at once! oO (not two different sized ones.)

Edited by Arugela, 19 April 2020 - 06:12 PM.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:37 PM

Oh wow, that build is almost as goofy as the dreaded HMG Atlas.
It doesn't know what it wants to be good at.
It has 3 different types of hot weaponry (HML's, UAC20, ATM12) without the needed cooling capacity
It wastes tonnage on jumpjets that do not get it any advantage.

I think you should concentrate more on syncing your weapons.

#5 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:47 PM

Oh, I may have forgotten about the double strike on the uac20 in the heat calculations. You can single tap it though.

#6 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:03 AM

Way, way too hot & it will never cool off due to the Laser AMS, not enough ammo for the UAC20 though, as it's too hot to double tap that might not be so much of an issue. Jump jets are not really needed, 1 for quick turning & help up hills, more on an assault mech are a waste of tonnage.. Those are some of the major problems The long burn duration, mixed weapon ranges(flamer??) & lack of an Active probe some of the lesser evils.

Try to match your weapon ranges & even cooldown's if you can, use normal AMS as laser only adds heat.
It's not that great of a Kodiak I'm afraid, not many hardpoints for the free tonnage available.

I hope that helps, it's hard to not sound condescending in this situation & certainly isn't intended.

#7 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

The weapons ranges are matched. I'm using the atm as a close ranged. Isn't it triple the bonus at close range. That would be up to 270. Why are they not matched?

And the Clams can be removed for ammo for the uac20. I sort of assumed if it was being used it could be turned on and off as needed to avoid overheating. This way it gives more room. And this build it primarily designed to try to sneak up on enemies and back shot them if possible. Frontal assaults would be the lesser of two evils if possible.

Is there any use to installing both light and normal tags? Or can you also put on caps and claps? BTW, this build is based on fireing into stuff with enough damage to not need to see the results. caps/claps are not normally needed. I play something with similar damage on a direwolf and it's not really needed as it can kill so fast.

Edited by Arugela, 20 April 2020 - 03:58 AM.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:15 AM

Ok, there's a couple-three things you should know about how the game works vis a vis Assaults, and in general.

First, you are not going to be sneaking up on anyone in a giant metal bear. So there's that. Even with a 400XL engine, you just take too long to get anywhere. Remember, it's not just the speed you can get with any given engine; it's also the movement profile of the 'Mech. If you want a 100-tonner to try flanking with, you'll want a stealth armored D-DC Atlas, which isn't an optimal build for that chassis, but it's do-able.

Second, your weapons don't really work well together. Sure, you can dumbfire that ATM into someone, but you're going to have to stare at them while you do it; The AC/20 does optimal damage out to 360m, and half damage at 540m. The HML does no damage at 540m, having reached its optimal range at 270m, and its half-damage point at 405m. That's not a deal-breaker if that was what you have, but then there's the ATM launcher (because what else can you do with just one missile hardpoint.) The ATMs will do their full damage close-in, but the missiles will spread all over the place, meaning that your time to kill will be lower than the damage numbers lead you to expect. So your ranges don't match up too well, and you're using lock-on weapons in conjunction with long cooldown weapons like the UAC and Heavy Laser.

And then, you have the combat endurance problem. In order to function in close range fights, you need to be able to keep firing - and your time to overheat is a mere seven seconds. Finally, different types of TAG and Active Probes don't stack with each other - including the ECM-cancelling effects of Active Probes and ECM suites in Counter mode. If you throw more than one on a 'mech, you only get the bonus from the better system. If you combine an active probe with an ECM suite, you only get the sensor range boost.

If you want to deal an insane amount of damage on a Kodiak so that you can just core people out - sell that thing and take Something Like This. Superior burst DPS with no scatter weapons, no heat scale penalties, and massive combat endurance (25 seconds without the ERMLs; use those to finish people, or discourage Lights; or simply trade them for more ammo.) There is literally no practical reason you'd want to deal with that particular Kodiak when better options are available for what you want to do.

Edit: Oh! I nearly forgot - Assault-class jump jets rather suck. It's the route PGI took to disabling the Poptart Meta back in the day. Class One jump jets are less like soaring into the sky on wings of flame than they are like being winched up a hillside by a crane. They're not worth dealing with the bad hardpoint distribution on this 'mech for doing what you want to do.

Edited by Void Angel, 20 April 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#9 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:52 PM

This is my old ultimate KDK-3. ;D (I await a mech that can do this fully armored!)

https://mwo.smurfy-n...7933d8f6235fb00

This is the greatest KDK-3 build ever made. Had some actual good matches in it also. You just need to maintain a lot of situational awareness!

The engine can be dropped down for some armor. (Down to std 225 and 1t of armor.)

I had a video of my gameplay in that mech. can't find it atm. But I found this: https://mwomercs.com...ss-super-heavy/

Did they ever add the omega mechs. I thought it was something they were going to add for some reason at some point.

Videos in that mech: https://www.dailymot...m/video/x542owc
https://www.dailymot...m/video/x54di9y

The mech was designed to shutdown without taking damage btw. That is why it keeps overheating and quickly getting back up. It's right on the fringe of shutdown. I think this was before the tech tree.

Edited by Arugela, 20 April 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#10 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:25 AM

View PostArugela, on 20 April 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

I found this: https://mwomercs.com...ss-super-heavy/

Did they ever add the omega mechs. I thought it was something they were going to add for some reason at some point.
They didn't and aren't going to.

The mech was designed to shutdown without taking damage btw. That is why it keeps overheating and quickly getting back up. It's right on the fringe of shutdown. I think this was before the tech tree.
Gauss+PPC is no longer viable. PGI moved Gauss Rifles to the same heat penalty group as PPCs, so if you fire 2xGauss+2xPPC you'l get a heat spike almost as big as firing 4xPPC.

#11 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Are u using an joystick?

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:56 PM

Ah, he's a troll; ignore him.

#13 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

If you're not willing to try out your builds and tell us how they work, why keep posting them?

#14 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

Nevertheless, this thread brought us

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 April 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

[...] commemorative ingots [...]

which cracked me up. Total gold.

#15 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:28 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 30 April 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

Ah, he's a troll; ignore him.

It was a serious question. From the video it looks like joystick usage. Many old battletech fans see mechwarrior logo and dust of the joystick. That's one of the biggest faults u can do. And like concy is pointing out, is not trying the builds and doesn't take any suggestions how to make the builds viable.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 02 May 2020 - 12:29 AM.

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:59 AM

Not you, man - Aruga.

View PostRoland09, on 30 April 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

Nevertheless, this thread brought us

which cracked me up. Total gold.

Only for certain Clan 'mechs. ;)

#17 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:25 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 April 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

They didn't and aren't going to.
Gauss+PPC is no longer viable. PGI moved Gauss Rifles to the same heat penalty group as PPCs, so if you fire 2xGauss+2xPPC you'l get a heat spike almost as big as firing 4xPPC.

I'm surprised you can't fire two ppc and two gauss in the same fire group. Wouldn't the 0.75 seconds of charge time allow the PPC to be fired and the release of the gauss cancel out the heat spike? The PPC would fire immediately and then more than 0.5 seconds pass and the heat not counted. Or you could hold the gauss longer for a shot? Maybe more than one second totatl. I can't get in game to test atm, so I'm not sure.

Edited by Arugela, 02 May 2020 - 09:26 AM.

#18 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

View PostArugela, on 02 May 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

Wouldn't the 0.75 seconds of charge time allow the PPC to be fired and the release of the gauss cancel out the heat spike?

That is correct, the charge-up time will be long enough to cancel ghost heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users