Do You Need Radar Dep. For Extreme Long Range Builds?

25 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

I feel like I'm wasting the skill points there (just 4 points for Adv. Zoom seems enough in that skill tree) but I'm not too sure if I should remove them without getting some opinions.

#2 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:43 AM

i dont use radar deprivation on any of my builds. seems like a waste. find cover for lurms or find an ecm mech to stand beside.

Edited by Hellbringer, 21 April 2020 - 08:44 AM.

#3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:45 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 21 April 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

I feel like I'm wasting the skill points there (just 4 points for Adv. Zoom seems enough in that skill tree) but I'm not too sure if I should remove them without getting some opinions.

for FW, talking about erLL or erPPC builds?
no, not really.
you can spend those points elsewhere, if you're planning on keeping the distance anyway :)
(hellbringer and battlemaster comes to mind).

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:49 AM

If you're planning to snipe from outside radar range, drop it.

Max sensor range is 1595m

#5 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

If you're sniping with direct fire its mostly useless. If you're running a lrm boat you'd be better off with target decay. I only use rad derp on my lights that need to break locks from mech like streak boats. If you want the best sensor skills for a solo sniper sesmic sensor would be it because sooner or later a light will come after you. I'd also use a weapon that isn't a laser for sniping or you'd just be waving an here-i-am sign when snipers should just fire and relocate after a few shots while making it hard for the enemy to return fire as much as possible.

#6 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

Don't bother, missiles can't hurt you at extreme range

#7 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:50 AM

I don't use any radar dep on any of my mechs

#8 avenger cannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

Outta sight outta mind Posted Image

#9 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:13 PM

this must be baradul's doing. almost all his old videos have builds with radar dep and people all think its an essential skill node.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 April 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

If you're planning to snipe from outside radar range, drop it.

Max sensor range is 1595m

The actual range you need to be worried about it LRMs. Sensor range, is largely, irrelevant.

Just stay outside of 1000m.

Simple.

View PostVxheous, on 21 April 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

I don't use any radar dep on any of my mechs

Only ones I do are some light mechs.

Otherwise, same. It's a waste of points since the switch to skill maze.

#11 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:14 PM

Please skimp on sensors because I hate when those long range campers/snipers have seismic and know when I am about to shank them.

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

View PostKen Harkin, on 21 April 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

Please skimp on sensors because I hate when those long range campers/snipers have seismic and know when I am about to shank them.

Actually they probably just have half a braincell and know you're coming.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:14 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 April 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

The actual range you need to be worried about it LRMs. Sensor range, is largely, irrelevant.

Just stay outside of 1000m.

Simple.

I was thinking more along the lines of a big marker giving your position away.

What people choose to do once they spot his position is up to them.

#14 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Just one mech related question... is there a point in buying the Annihilator 1P to use as a long-range mech i.e., put something like TC lv8 in the arm, strip the other arm a bit, 5 ERLL with STD300 and boat all the SHS that it can take?

#15 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

View PostThreeStooges, on 21 April 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

If you're running a lrm boat you'd be better off with target decay.

View PostGilgamecc, on 21 April 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Don't bother, missiles can't hurt you at extreme range

I don't want to pull this thread to far off topic, but Gilgamecc is correct and because of that I do not invest in target decay when using LRM's. Sure 3.5 seconds give you a tiny weeny better chance of hitting your target, but at long ranges the spread on your LRM's is so wide it has become stupidly ineffective. The is also the chance while you still hold the lock on your target after it has left who evers, or whatevers, LOS that your missiles may be blocked by the cover anyway.

Most the time I find that the 10 point investment is better spent elsewhere.

Edited by OmniFail, 21 April 2020 - 06:58 PM.

#16 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:47 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 21 April 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies, guys. Just one mech related question... is there a point in buying the Annihilator 1P to use as a long-range mech i.e., put something like TC lv8 in the arm, strip the other arm a bit, 5 ERLL with STD300 and boat all the SHS that it can take?

Re: ANH-1P, yes. That is a good build for FW. I don't remember the exact engine you take for that, but you're on the right track.

Edit: I can't remember if the build has a big TC or not, so double check that as well. For extreme range trading I usually take the Stalker 5S or BLR 1G on the IS side.

Edited by Brauer, 21 April 2020 - 08:48 PM.

#17 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:42 PM

View PostBrauer, on 21 April 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

Re: ANH-1P, yes. That is a good build for FW. I don't remember the exact engine you take for that, but you're on the right track.

Edit: I can't remember if the build has a big TC or not, so double check that as well. For extreme range trading I usually take the Stalker 5S or BLR 1G on the IS side.

Yep, I have those Stalkers and Battlemasters as well. I was looking at other options and thought that the Anni could do well since the ST and CT hardpoints are so close together and relatively high up so that you barely have to expose 30% of the mech. I put a TC8 in there and filled with SHS running on STD 300. Now, I just need to level it up.

#18 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:29 AM

I have 2 erlarge annis. One with big tc and one without but ams and one ton ammo. Mostly play them for more mid to long scenarios.
Extreme ranges BM, Stalker (i dont like is erppc)

#19 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:31 AM

the erLL-Anni is fine. but .. I don't know.. too many things swing with it. there's a bunch of people who use(d) it on a regular basis (read: on each and every frikkin map they can get away with it, no matter the mode) to just farm damage out of every match,
not ever 'using' that thing to punch for the win, if you know what I mean.

so there's a very negative taste to it which I really don't like. also, going the battlemaster/stalker route frees up some more tonnage and doesn't corner you into "that route" that "these people" force themselves into (willingly).

again: excellent mech; it just lures you into a playstyle I REALLY don't like, and that just has no place in 'the teamgame mode'.

#20 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:45 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 22 April 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

the erLL-Anni is fine. but .. I don't know.. too many things swing with it. there's a bunch of people who use(d) it on a regular basis (read: on each and every frikkin map they can get away with it, no matter the mode) to just farm damage out of every match,
not ever 'using' that thing to punch for the win, if you know what I mean.

so there's a very negative taste to it which I really don't like. also, going the battlemaster/stalker route frees up some more tonnage and doesn't corner you into "that route" that "these people" force themselves into (willingly).

again: excellent mech; it just lures you into a playstyle I REALLY don't like, and that just has no place in 'the teamgame mode'.

???

The ERLL ANH-1P can definitely help drive wins. On a lot of maps it's really helpful to control the map with long range weapons and the ERLL 1P is one of the mechs that can do that effectively. If you get a decent number of players on a side committing to long range map control they can swing a match quite effectively.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users