Tier Ranking Is Seriously Flawed

15 replies to this topic

#1 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:25 AM

I consider myself an average player at best, I have good games and bad games and am usually 5 6 or 7th in team score. Bottom scorer about as often as top scorer, neither that often. Like I said, average player who is trying, not just "running around having fun".

So, today I had two perfect examples that make me say WTF is up with tiers.

Game 1. Loss. Highest damage, highest team score. 1 kill, 4 assists. Probably some spotting and AMS kills. 30t Kit Fox with ECM and AMS. Deployed one UAV. Rating dropped. Yes, the very definition of being a seal at a seal clubbing, you may bite the hand that clubs you, but you still get clubbed.

Game 2. Win. Same mech. Screwed up and went after a light who was spotting and providing AMS from behind a ridge. Did not realize he had multiple buddies right there with him. Near instadeath No kills, 4 assists, 100 or so damage from machine gunning them all as I died. Tier rating went UP?!

Sure seems like individual performance is not weighted heavily enough compared to just being on the winning team.

Is damage weighted by mech weight? Because on a 30 ton mech I am not going to get 1000 damage. In an exceptional, "holy **** how did that happen" game I ONCE did 750 in this mech. That would be meh damage in a 90 ton mech.

Not just venting. I hear a lot of discontent and frustration here and in chat in the game about how tier is meaningless and it is hurting the game by promoting mismatched games. Have any players proposed alternatives to the way it is done now?

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

The players figured out the tier system and its flaws pretty rapidly yet pgi ignored the feedback as is their m.o. citing they know best for their game and we,the players, should merly thank them and play the game.

Just play the game long enough and you'll go up to t1. About the only time your tier rank will go down is if the entire team does very badly to where almost no one does 200 damage or more.

Since this game is in indefinite "maintenance mode" with no plans for any future development just do whatever you can with it that you find fun as long as it doesn't break the coc and tos. As per paraphrasing Russ about mow's future: UMM Thanks;just keep playing umm more beer why am I here?

#3 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:06 AM

Planned obsolesce I suppose. No online game seems to survive for long. It is like if they don't change and grow people get bored and move on. If they change and grow they screw it up and people get pissed off and move on.

#4 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:21 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 22 April 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Planned obsolesce I suppose. No online game seems to survive for long. It is like if they don't change and grow people get bored and move on. If they change and grow they screw it up and people get pissed off and move on.

MWO has always had a small dedicated community and too be honest and player base has grown just not a lot. Ever since they launched MWO on steam player base has grown some just not a lot.

#5 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

such low population, i think the tier 1's are getting mixed in with all the other tiers in QP. Ive met some guys who are just walking around while i take full shots at their backs and they never turn around.

Edited by Hellbringer, 22 April 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#6 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:39 AM

The PSR system was known to be flawed from the get go, PGI implemented it instead anyway. There's been countless threads pointing this out for at least the 4 1/3 years I've been here and they've never responded once to any of them about fixing it or even doing a periodic reset to re-sort people who shouldn't be in Tier 2, 1, whatever...

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:51 AM

When you have people like me at the top of Tier 1 you've got to wonder why people think the badge matters.

#8 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

Depressing to know that they paid for the rights and are just phoning it in. Slumlords of gaming, buy it, do as little as you must to rent it out, when it starts to lose money sell it off and repeat.

I miss the days when car companies were run by people who built cars, game companies were run by people who loved games and gaming and hospitals and doctors offices were run by doctors. Not MBAs and accountants.

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

The PSR change is tied to your match score and the match outcome. Unfortunately, it's weighted in such a way that it's impossible to lose PSR on a win. Everyone who isn't heavily reducing their team's odds of success floats up given enough matches.This is a known problem, PGI for some reason wanted to matchmake by "level of experience" rather than level of competence. Tier 1 has been getting steadily worse year by year as more bottom-rung players float into it by sheer weight of matches played rather than ability.

Edited by Horseman, 22 April 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#10 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

I wonder if they went to the same schools as the school administrators who keep a spreadsheet of all the students and possible awards to ensure that every student gets recognized for something every semester, even if they actively try to do nothing.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 22 April 2020 - 08:51 AM, said:

When you have people like me at the top of Tier 1 you've got to wonder why people think the badge matters.

Prove it!

Sorry, couldn't resist ;P

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:13 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 23 April 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

Prove it!

Sorry, couldn't resist ;P

You gonna buy me a tinfoil ring?

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:43 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 23 April 2020 - 04:13 PM, said:

You gonna buy me a tinfoil ring?

Shipping might be delayed.

#14 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:22 PM

i am wondering what is going on...
the after match report seems to have nothing to do with the little arrow being red or green...
it is very frustrating to try and understand what i am supposed to do
i have given up running lights, as my preferred style doesn't pay well, is too team dependent, and costs me ranking, win or lose damage be damned
gonna go look for a way to turn off that tier indicator, but then there is still that after action review... i like seeing what happened, if i met certain goals or not, like if my uav was any help and things like that; and there that arrow is gonna be laughing at me cuz i dont understand... i mean i know its probably just me, i suck and should go play wurm

#15 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:42 PM

View PostNearly Dead, on 22 April 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

Game 1
Game 2

Without knowing how much you scored relative to the rest of the lobby this is kind of pointless.

Sure seems like individual performance is not weighted heavily enough compared to just being on the winning team.

Winning is a huge factor in whether you get an up arrow or not because it is the ultimate goal, to win. It rightfully gets a lot of weight.

Is damage weighted by mech weight?

No because outside of something like a Piranha-1 with has a limited ammo supply and therefore effectively has a cap on how much damage it can deal, most lights can and will perform well.

Because on a 30 ton mech I am not going to get 1000 damage.

Why not? You're small and fast, you're first in the fight and can leverage superior mobility to start your farm early and keep on it all match. While bigger mechs need to take time to reposition starving them on value fighting time, you're engaging.

The idea that lights can't put out good damage numbers is honestly one that comes from a place of lower skill. Lights have to work for their damage while a dakkacat pilot can mindlessly hit M1 and get ez farm.

Not just venting. I hear a lot of discontent and frustration here and in chat in the game about how tier is meaningless and it is hurting the game by promoting mismatched games. Have any players proposed alternatives to the way it is done now?
The reason you get mismatches is because the playerbase is so small, so yeah. You get tier compression and T3s fighting T1s or cadets who start in T3, but the tier system still kind of does it's job. T5s are safe and I imagine T4s won't often fight T2s.

#16 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:27 AM

PSR calculation has changed as of 30th June 2020.
See https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/ for reference.
Since this thread is originally about the old PSR system, there's no point in discussing it further.
Thread locked.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 30 November 2020 - 04:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users