"kill The Assaults First"

52 replies to this topic

#1 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:53 AM

I have been dropping lately with a leader who encourages this with the reasoning that the enemy assaults are the most dangerous mechs. I tend to target lights and mediums first to remove them from the board and because they are more mobile and more dangerous in the early part of the game.

What do you say? Kill their "battleships", or their "cruisers" and "destroyers", first?

#2 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:18 AM

Assaults have the most firepower of any class, this means that they can do more damage faster. They are also slow which generally means that they are easy to hit, meaning that they can be taken down fairly quickly through focus fire.

Lights on the other hand have significantly less firepower and are harder to hit, meaning that it can often take longer to kill them. For the amount of time it takes to kill a light you've removed significantly less firepower than in killing an assault. This is time that that assault is putting damage into your team.

This is assuming roughly equally skilled pilots who are actually somewhat good. In this case you almost always kill assaults first unless you can get a quick one shot kill on a light. Comp teams will normally prioritize heavier weight classes above lighter ones.

In solo queue however I do see a lot of bad players that gravitate towards heavier mechs. In that case they can be less dangerous than a decent light pilot, but as a general rule you should focus on killing whatever removes the most firepower the fastest and this is usually the assaults.

#3 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:19 AM

I'm not certain the order matters, as long as your team proceeds to a good location quickly. That seems more important to me, e.g. controlling the centre area of Canyon and encouraging the enemy to Nascar into the gulley, then shooting them from above. Or waiting out the enemy team on Frozen Domination until they start pushing down the hill into the circle which is a tactically terrible place to end up.

#4 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

I prefer to kill lights first. They do all the "real work" of winning matches because they are expected to do so many things other than just kill the enemy. Some examples of things I get very yelled at often in my lights:

Conquest mode: Go for caps! Cover me from lights! Get Theta;while ignoring the other 4 caps. Why didn't you cap;when lost on points.

Assault mode: Guard the base! rush the base!

Skirmish: Go "scout!" hold locks plz! Get this light off me! Give me ecm cover!

Incursion:mirrors assault for the most part except i'm expected to get rad/jam at the start of match then cussed out when I didn't save the fatties from enemy lights.

Lights also get your less tactically minded mor-team members to chase the bait giving the enemy plenty of time to form a fire line,murder ball or just start dealing damage. You'd be surprised how many people have no idea how to fight off a light unless they have streaks.

#5 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 23 April 2020 - 06:53 AM, said:

I have been dropping lately with a leader who encourages this with the reasoning that the enemy assaults are the most dangerous mechs. I tend to target lights and mediums first to remove them from the board and because they are more mobile and more dangerous in the early part of the game.

What do you say? Kill their "battleships", or their "cruisers" and "destroyers", first?

Presuming you have a choice (as in, both types of targets present themselves simultaneously), that Light/Medium mobility you cited is the very reason you shouldn't focus on Lights/Mediums. Because they can easily use that mobility to disengage. Unless you see an opportunity to do more than just remove armor from a Light or Medium, you're just helping the enemy "armor share", you've built up a bunch of heat, done nothing but remove some armor, and now you're still looking at dealing with a fresh enemy Assault bringing you sustained pain, and now you might even be heat-capped and only able to dish out DPS limited by your dissipation.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:00 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 23 April 2020 - 06:53 AM, said:

your fighting more then one battle (a battle for numbers, fire power, player skill, etc)

its not that assaults are stronger its
shoot the big fat slow target
you see even a low tier potato can do that

now if you can take out a fast nimble OP light hey go for it

there is no set in concrete best way
just keep a few things in mind and be ready to adapt

Edited by Davegt27, 23 April 2020 - 02:39 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:06 AM

its cute when four guys chase a squirrel thinking its an easy target waste a lot of time and then fail to kill it. lights are certainly harder to kill when you are tripping over your own team to do it, so the correct number of players to dispatch a lone squirrel is 2.

as someone who spends a lot of time in assaults (and lights too) if i have a light anywhere in my vicinity im going to deal with it. because if i dont then im not going to be doing the team any good. when i pilot lights i get a pretty good idea of how competent the assaults are by how they react to my first shots, if they look stupid then i will dog them till they die, but if they look competent and have a loadout that can hurt me i will bug out. so you don't have to kill the light, just convince him that you are the wrong assault to mess with and if he dies good you have helped the team.

obviously you don't want to fall behind, but it seemed lately that the assaults have been getting to the front first and the mediums are the ones sleeping. i had to downgrade the engine in my marauder iic because it was getting to the front too quickly.

#8 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

I would say shoot the most dangerous target first. That's usually an assault, but there are some really good light pilots, as well as some assault pilots who lob lrms at you inside minimum range.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

It depends on what the enemy assaults are doing. I've seen a lot of assaults being extremely passive. During moments like that, just shoot what mechs show up in your LOS. It's gotten to a point where the majority of the playerbase who pilot assault mechs only bring weapon systems but hesitate to fire them.

#10 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:00 AM

You should never shoot lights. Trust me, I'm totally not bias on this. Also please ignore my signature in this post.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:10 AM

It's situational. If a light is in your rears, you're just as likely to go down as if you were fighting an assault from the front. But the problem becomes when half the team tears off to chase a single light.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:48 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 23 April 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

It's situational. If a light is in your rears, you're just as likely to go down as if you were fighting an assault from the front. But the problem becomes when half the team tears off to chase a single light.

going after isolated mechs only works when you don't isolate your own mechs in the process.

#13 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

Kill the target that makes itself available, then move on to the next. If facing a firing line, concentrate on whatever target is called, by the letter over the box... A, B, C, ect, ect... And pray you line is also exposing iteflf or you all dead.

#14 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:20 PM

Please ignore me in my Flea for the entire match.

#15 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

I think all the treads that try to boil MWO battlefield strategy down to some kind of cookie cutter plan are seriously comical. Players need situational awareness, threat analysis, and good target prioritization.

Sometimes you need a firing line. Sometimes NASCAR is the answer.
Sometimes the Assault is the prime target. Sometimes it the light.

Flexibility is key.

#16 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:39 PM

View PostOmniFail, on 23 April 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

I think all the treads that try to boil MWO battlefield strategy down to some kind of cookie cutter plan are seriously comical. Players need situational awareness, threat analysis, and good target prioritization.

Sometimes you need a firing line. Sometimes NASCAR is the answer.
Sometimes the Assault is the prime target. Sometimes it the light.

Flexibility is key.

He gets it

#17 Mont

Rookie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:25 PM

View Postdario03, on 23 April 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

You should never shoot lights. Trust me, I'm totally not bias on this. Also please ignore my signature in this post.

Got it, shoot Dario first ;)

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:12 AM

If you ask me, "kill any target you CAN kill first" is what I suggest, or in my case "kill any target you can hold a lock on" :D

#19 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:37 AM

Kill what ever is easy and convenient .
Hey your not an assualt mech
Go away I will kill you later Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 24 April 2020 - 01:37 AM.

#20 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:27 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 24 April 2020 - 12:12 AM, said:

If you ask me, "kill any target you CAN kill first" is what I suggest, or in my case "kill any target you can hold a lock on" Posted Image

But what if the only target is a quad LAMS PIR-A...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users