Combining Group And Solo Queues - 4 Week Test

1580 replies to this topic

#41 Plain Jane

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

As a new player who just dropped into Tier 3, I wonder which of my unskilled 7 mechs I'll take into matches to get my face stomped in?!

Can anyone spare a bandaid, skill points, or a carry?

#42 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thank you! I do look forward to this.

Benefits, make working as a team even more rewarding.

Downfalls, getting your *** kicked!

How to change the possibilites of getting your *** kicked. Use you mic. Don't type we are getting flanked, 99% of the time it isn't notcied.

Quit nascarring so damn fast, that the team is struggling to keep up, and ends up spread accross 3 grids.

Oh, get rid of the tier system! Just remove it in it's entirity! Problem solved.

Edited by Swamp Ass MkII, 27 April 2020 - 12:56 PM.

#43 SaltedGround

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

sorry guys, but i will believe things are "better" when i don't drop and find one team with 8 assaults and one team with all mediums. this has been happening for years now and you still have done almost nothing to fix it.

#44 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostPlain Jane, on 27 April 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

As a new player who just dropped into Tier 3, I wonder which of my unskilled 7 mechs I'll take into matches to get my face stomped in?!

Can anyone spare a bandaid, skill points, or a carry?

Probably better to drop into FW with them once this goes through.

#45 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

Matches will become more competitive.

No. They will be more stompy . If stompy = competitive than this statement is accurate.

Tonnage restrictions for groups

4 Good players in piranhas will still have a major impact on the match itself . Regardless of the tonnage restrictions . So tonnage restrictions can only "balance" the groups so much.

Match Maker ability to maintain even team building.

This is a myth . Without the PSR redesign , 40% "Tier 1" teams will still fight 99.5% teams . Resulting in unbalanced matches . Whether this is a thing PGI is ready to overlook or not for the sake of people playing together is another discussion entirely.

Max group size will be restricted to 4 players. All group sizes of 2,3 and 4 are valid group sizes.

4 is still too big of a group size .I know why you think its an optimal size but it will influence the match too much .

If things are going drastically off course, we can revert sooner if needed.

One can hope .

#46 avenger cannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:59 PM

Very excited to be able to play with my friend, MW5 didn't have good multiplayer settings when we tried it so it's nice to just play here.

Edited by avenger cannon, 27 April 2020 - 01:27 PM.

#47 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 27 April 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

Thank you! I do look forward to this.

Benefits, make working as a team even more rewarding.

Downfalls, getting your *** kicked!

How to change the possibilites of getting your *** kicked. Use you mic. Don't type we are getting flanked, 99% of the time it isn't notcied.

Quit nascarring so damn fast, that the team is struggling to keep up, and ends up spread accross 3 grids.

Oh, get rid of the tier system! Just remove it in it's entirity! Problem solved.

i think you're in for a very rude awakening.

#48 byter75

• PipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:05 PM

With no real changes to the game in months and group que becoming not worth the ridiclously long waiting times, I am looking forward to seeing something new happen and finally a good chance to play quick matches with a coulple of friends one again. Hopefully this will work out, since my interest in the game has waned with the decline of what group que used to offer (playing casually with friends). And at the very least.. it's something different for 4 weeks before we go back to playing the same thing in alone in solo que forever more... ;)

#49 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

Ok, reading a bit in here and another topic about the same in general I actually approve of this move. If it'll make all the whiny soloist terribads who failed to learn how to play in 8 years quit the game, it'll be the best thing we've had since closed beta.

#50 Coffeeghoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

At least I can get into group play now to try that. The matchmaker doesn't work anyway, so I don't bother that much. 0-12 instead of 2-12 is no big deal at all. ;)

This 8 vs 8 may be nice, but it basically starts when I go to bed and it ends when I wake up. I've tried for a week to get one single game going with my groups and after 30 minutes of waiting each day I gave up. (Another topic, I know, sorry for that.)

#51 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:11 PM

View PostMagic Pain Glove, on 27 April 2020 - 12:57 PM, said:

4 Good players in piranhas will still have a major impact on the match itself . Regardless of the tonnage restrictions . So tonnage restrictions can only "balance" the groups so much.

PGI: Succeeded in making light mechs viable/dangerous.

Also PGI: Weight is the issue.

#52 avenger cannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:12 PM

Most of the negative replies seem to think Solo Que is currently good or something,

It's Daytona 500 down at the track, looks like the Piranha on red team is going to be racking up kills on the entirety of Blue Team's Charlie lance! Blue team's Alpha and the 2 mediums on Bravo have completely left them behind and are getting the afk over in J11 while one light mech is capping the enemy base.

I'd say currently half the battles, if not 2/3s, are just completely one sided stomps on either side.

#53 BARRY SHlTPEAS

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBrown Sea Buccaneer

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 27 April 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

This is not just a simple combination of queues and seeing what happens...

I highly doubt this.

#54 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

I just came back after 1.5 years and this???

#55 Frozen Spirit Jac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:26 PM

A moment of truth is all we really can say rather than screaming at each other with whose opinion is right.
Will it be the perfect balance for groups and solo players to actually have good play styles? (which will help bring back more old players) or...
Will it be so unbalance and unplayable that one side of the team will wipe the other out each time, that one wouldn't even consider turning on MWO anymore because it will make them consider rage quitting their PC. (maybe this is his intention to justify disconnecting the MWO servers for good? time will tell)

#56 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 27 April 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

- When the Match Maker builds a 12-player team, it will ensure that there is no more than one 4 player group or as close as possible (2 player + 2 player for example) per team and all remaining slots will be filled with solo players.

Critical mistake there.

If you limit the amount of grouped players to one group per team, you are basically doing your best to spread the grouped players to 2x4 grouped players in as many matches as you can, and pissing off the other 16 players each time you do in that process.

Instead you should squeeze as many groups as you can, BUT with the same amount of grouped players on each team, and THAT is what will minimize the amount of solo players being unwillingly dragged into group QP, with no option for them to opt out of them.

Like if there's 6 groups of 4 players available, DON'T spread those 6 groups over the next 3 QP matches, pissing off 3x16=48 solo players in that process : Instead group the lot of them (all six groups) into a single 3x4 vs 3x4 QP match, which will now piss off 0 solo players, because all 24 grouped players will be squeezed into that single match, hopefully followed by two 12vs12 matches of nothing but the 48 solo players.

Basically you want to MINIMIZE the amount of solo players being unwillingly dragged into QP matches with groups in them, and you do that by MAXIMIZING the amount of grouped players per match... And definitely not by minimizing the amount of grouped players to no more then 4 grouped on each side per match.

Why would this way of doing things (meaning prioritizing groups over solo players) work in QP, when it doesn't work at all in FP ? It's because the groups in QP are limited to 4 players, allowing the MatchMaker to perform as much mini-groups balancing as needed to make it fair for both sides (unlike in FP, where there's absolutely no way for the MatchMaker to properly tweak a full 12man group to make the match remotely playable for both sides).

Edited by Warning incoming Humble Dexterer, 27 April 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#57 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:46 PM

Remember how back when PGI would do a PTS run for their various changes, and tell us how they really wanted us all to participate because getting good data was oh so important to them? Then, the day the PTS went live, they would announce a really sweet event in the regular game, thus ensuring that even fewer people would bother with the PTS?

I am thinking that if PGI holds to their typical pattern of wanting us to test something for them, with this mixed queues experiment we ought to be getting an announcement, any minute now, for a new 4 week long CW event (or god forbid, Solaris event) with some nice rewards. So that will be nice.

#58 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:47 PM

Well, we basically had everyone in one queue thanks to low population. Now we can coagulate the good players and watch lances carrying teams, rather than single players attempting to carry teams.

I would have rather seen solo matches drop to 8v8 instead of this basically being a case of groups getting "NPCs" to flesh them out while they cut loose in tryhard fashion.

#59 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:49 PM

The previous max group size of four was the start of the decline of this game. Teamspeaks were full of people and more people means momentum., but I digress...I guess we'll see. I would rather leave the group at 8v8 since that's mroe fun than 12v12 anyways...but I don't know what Euro prime time grouping is like, so it's probably good for them. NA evenings I always have 4-12 people in on my discord and have a lotta fun. Bringing the matches down to 8v8 definitely made it doable every night of the week. I wanted 12v12 when it happened, but shortly after decided it was a better 8v8 game since the impact you have is greater, and impact in twelves could still be great but negligible compared to the potatoes capacity to make your effort a waste of time and demotivating.

I'm gonna make it a point to stomp the s*** outta solo pugs so we can roll it back to 8v8 lol...I guess we'll see about that too, maybe I'll like it, and I'll always be able to group with someone and drop too, so that's good...who knows...still gonna stomp regardless, just was fun the last week playing with eight, even when *we* were getting stomped.

But the way it is right now with group being eights and solo being twelve has been fine by me.

#60 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:49 PM

View Postcougurt, on 27 April 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

i think you're in for a very rude awakening.

That is, the other 7 solos won't listen to you, and the lance group REALLY won't listen to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users