#21 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:24 AM

View PostB L O O D W I T C H, on 29 April 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

I wouldn't even consider "GG" trash talking.
It's very basic courtesy.
The same like "gl hf" at the start of a match.
It's not like someone is getting butthurt and "NANI? does he think i NEED luck?! Does he implies i am that bad? Does he think i won't have fun if i don't have luck?!"

No, but ggclose (like in the title of the thread) is definitely considered trash talk.

#22 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:30 AM

Yeah, people don't say ggclose after (or before) a 12-11 match....

#23 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

View PostBrauer, on 29 April 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yeah, people don't say ggclose after (or before) a 12-11 match....

The original way to say ggclose is to announce yourself as a LORD "name" gglose, nefore the match even starts, to let your opponent know they are in for whupping. No one does this anymore (especially since there are almost no True Lords left)

#24 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:39 AM

View PostVxheous, on 29 April 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

The original way to say ggclose is to announce yourself as a LORD "name" gglose, nefore the match even starts, to let your opponent know they are in for whupping. No one does this anymore (especially since there are almost no True Lords left)

Yeah I heard tales of that stuff, but I think by the time I started it was already a thing of the past. It's not my style personally, but it doesn't particularly bother me either.

#25 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

Do we still have some LORD playing here so he could end this topic with classic? 1e0n? Someone else?

#26 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:59 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 27 April 2020 - 03:35 PM, said:

when you type GG or GG close at the end of a match when it was OBVIOUSLY not a good game or even close

is poor sportsmanship
its a back handed insult its a bald face lie

View PostVxheous, on 29 April 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

No, but ggclose (like in the title of the thread) is definitely considered trash talk.

In the same way, not typing GG (to not trigger the enemy) would also imply the enemy was bad.

#27 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

View PostB L O O D W I T C H, on 29 April 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

In the same way, not typing GG (to not trigger the enemy) would also imply the enemy was bad.

I've seen people get triggered by teams not typing gg at the end. In my opinion if someone is getting that upset about "gg close" or no "gg" at the end they need to chill. The outbursts I've seen from people upset about teams not saying gg at the end are more childish and obnoxious than any ggclose or "Welcome to the Final Boss" that I've witnessed.

FYI, when I've witnessed "Welcome to the Final Boss" it was 100% justified, so I don't mind that in the slightest.

#28 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

Lord Bows3r ggclose.

#29 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

don't know what people are expecting in an online-game ..

if you want good games with a good team against another, with sportsmanship, camaraderie, fun and respect for each other
- there is sports. like out there in the real world.
or boardgames, tabletop, cardgames.. whatever.

in online-games,. I don't say it's full of asocial loners here - cause it ain't.
but: there are WAY more people with lets say social inexperience here then "out there".

.. wait.. you've been in the internet before, right? Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 29 April 2020 - 01:15 PM.

#30 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:49 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 29 April 2020 - 01:14 PM, said:

don't know what people are expecting in an online-game ..

if you want good games with a good team against another, with sportsmanship, camaraderie, fun and respect for each other
- there is sports. like out there in the real world.
or boardgames, tabletop, cardgames.. whatever.

in online-games,. I don't say it's full of asocial loners here - cause it ain't.
but: there are WAY more people with lets say social inexperience here then "out there".

.. wait.. you've been in the internet before, right? Posted Image

I dunno TMNU, just about all of my experience in competitive MWO has been positive. Teams are generally quite friendly with each other and it's pretty rare to see anyone get particularly out of line. It does happen, but you see that in anything where you have people. So I'd say if you want good games, camaraderie, sportsmanship, fun, and respect for each other, play competitive MWO.

#31 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

I had similar experiences in FW over the years - mainly great guys around there, and it was the reason I played this game from 2016+ on.

but you gotta admit that the internet and its anonymity let A LOT of people behave like a$shats in this game (and its often way worse in others). just look at QP or what fw has in many parts been degraded to.

you don't see that happening in teambased "realworld"sports. at all, because of obvious reasons;
if you don't play nice, the other kids simply won't play with you (and other things may happen).

I enjoy my computergames like you guys do, don't get me wrong; just saying that these attract some people you wouldn't want contact with in real life, who behave in ways they never dared to in real-life.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 29 April 2020 - 02:03 PM.

#32 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:17 PM

I find that "gg" is open to misinterpretation, due to it being commonly misused to mock defeated opponents.

I prefer "well-fought," or something similar. It's a recognition that, even if the opfor lost 0-12, someone on that team fought well. Because that's almost always the case.

Sometimes, people misinterpret even my "well-fought" as mockery, or have otherwise been annoyed by it; more than a few times, someone's responded, "Not really." To that, I reply: "Some of you did."

It's a rare game where there's zero skilled play on the opfor. When this happens, I usually don't see anything I can say that won't come across as insulting, so I keep my mouth shut in that case. Awkward silence is better than unprovoked rudeness.

Edited by Carl Avery, 29 April 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#33 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

I havea friend who tried this game and stopped playing because he said they kept "gging" him after every match.

He thought it meant "git gud" and they were insulting him.

#34 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

I say gg if I had a good game. If someone chooses to get butt blasted and interpret that as an insult if they didn't have a good match, then that is entirely on them.

One of the very basic things that they taught us in baseball after a match, was to line up in a single file line and go down a row to shake everyone's hand while saying "good game", even if the game was one sided out of good sportsmanship. Saying "good game" is just general common courtesy and I question the OP's legitimacy of serving in the USAF.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 29 April 2020 - 03:13 PM.

#35 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:03 PM

When your comment about getting thicker skin is deleted because it offends someone...

I don't get it. Don't know how out of touch you need to be with the community to realize that pandering to people that get offended by every little thing is the wrong approach but okay.

Heres another piece of advice that you should have learned in elementary: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Now if that gets deleted because it was too extreme for you, might I suggest a less aggressive game like Animal Crossing?

Edited by Michelle Branch, 29 April 2020 - 03:03 PM.

#36 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:16 PM

View PostCarl Avery, on 29 April 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

I find that "gg" is open to misinterpretation, due to it being commonly misused to mock defeated opponents.

I prefer "well-fought," or something similar. It's a recognition that, even if the opfor lost 0-12, someone on that team fought well. Because that's almost always the case.

Sometimes, people misinterpret even my "well-fought" as mockery, or have otherwise been annoyed by it; more than a few times, someone's responded, "Not really." To that, I reply: "Some of you did."

It's a rare game where there's zero skilled play on the opfor. When this happens, I usually don't see anything I can say that won't come across as insulting, so I keep my mouth shut in that case. Awkward silence is better than unprovoked rudeness.

If nobody on one team secures even a single kill, then no, nobody on the team fought well. By definition, they all did as badly as the game could possibly allow. 12:0 deserves mockery because it is a terrible result, everyone screws up eventually and when that happens we don't deserve a pat on the back for a good effort we did not make.

#37 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 29 April 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

I had similar experiences in FW over the years - mainly great guys around there, and it was the reason I played this game from 2016+ on.

but you gotta admit that the internet and its anonymity let A LOT of people behave like a$shats in this game (and its often way worse in others). just look at QP or what fw has in many parts been degraded to.

you don't see that happening in teambased "realworld"sports. at all, because of obvious reasons;
if you don't play nice, the other kids simply won't play with you (and other things may happen).

I enjoy my computergames like you guys do, don't get me wrong; just saying that these attract some people you wouldn't want contact with in real life, who behave in ways they never dared to in real-life.

I've seen plenty of people act like idiots in real world sports, including pickup games. That's included individual players being selfish and cruel to less skilled players during a pickup soccer game, members of a coed intramural volleyball team trying to play without involving the women on their team and more. I don't think it's worse in the real world, and anonymity does lead to some behavior that you aren't likely to see out in the physical world, but it's not like physical proximity eliminates trash talk or bad behavior.

#38 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

I always thought the "lord name ggclose" was pretty funny, yeah it's douchey af but every story needs a villain and it spices things up when units have their signature memes and antics. I miss the days when we actually had unit rivalries and nerd politics in CW too.

Edited by Sjorpha, 29 April 2020 - 05:03 PM.

#39 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:02 PM

"if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory"

https://youtu.be/eQVRkBpDBxc?t=80

#40 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:27 PM

View PostCurccu, on 29 April 2020 - 10:54 AM, said:

Do we still have some LORD playing here so he could end this topic with classic? 1e0n? Someone else?

Played a few games yesterday after a long pause. Got wrecked by 1e0n n Frack. Was nice to be back. <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users