Discussing Heavy Mechs

13 replies to this topic

#1 SirSuspicious

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:07 AM

I'm looking to buy a heavy mech, I know what I like less, which is a missile focused gameplay like with the catapult, I usually prefer a more ranged fight, not too far away but also not right on top of the action. I'm thinking about getting the Timber Wolf since it's such an all-rounder. Which mechs do you find more viable.

Thanks for any help

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:22 AM

I have very fond memories of playing Gasshoppers with laser vomit loadouts of various kinds. Its still a very good mech to this day.

Timber Wolf is not very good nowadays. Its agility was nerfed when engine size still affected agility, leaving it with just poor agility now that it no longer does. And since it has a HUGE engine for its size, it's weapons load is limited too.

Edited by Gagis, 29 April 2020 - 10:33 AM.

#3 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:56 AM

U need to take the quirks, geometry and weapon slots in account.

Grasshopper h is a rly versatile heavy with 10% heat gen quirk

#4 Karr Donovan

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:50 AM

View PostSirSuspicious, on 29 April 2020 - 10:07 AM, said:

I'm looking to buy a heavy mech, I know what I like less, which is a missile focused gameplay like with the catapult, I usually prefer a more ranged fight, not too far away but also not right on top of the action. I'm thinking about getting the Timber Wolf since it's such an all-rounder. Which mechs do you find more viable.

Thanks for any help

I bought the Vanguard(sun spider mech) and went with 2 uac10 and 3 srm4(i beileve 3), it's very fun to play, though a bit squishy.

For an IS counterpart most mech are mid range friendly, either a marauder with 3 uac2(long range) and 4 meds or either a rifleman or jaegermech.

#5 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:19 PM

Champion, Quickdraw (5K), Grasshopper (5H), Warhammer and Marauder are better choices, they all have laser or laser+ballistic options.

Roughneck is tough as nails and have high hardpoints, but it's more ballistic+missiles platform.

#6 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

And if u are want an clan heavy i would suggest the hellbringer.

Many more options in this nice list
https://grimmechs.is...im.org/Database

#7 SirSuspicious

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

Thanks guys, I ended up picking the hellbringer because I think it really suited my style, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, managing to rack up multiple kills basically every game

#8 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

Riflemen are underrated & undervalued (don't expect any major endorsements); they do take some getting used to, but can hold their own with the right amount of situational awareness. I run exceptionally hot builds, but they're a lot of fun:

RFL-3N(S) : an AC/20, 5x Medium Lasers, TC Mk. 1, and 1x Laser AMS

RFL-5D : 6x Medium Pulse Laser, 2x Small Laser, 1x TC Mk. 1, 1x Laser AMS, and a standard engine for "zombie" opportunities.

The RFL-5D has a lot of build options; I even have a variant with twin snub nose, 6 medium lasers. Its a 50 point alpha, but it really toasty and may not be to your liking. Definitely consider getting the 5D, though.

Edited by Yiryi-Sa, 09 July 2020 - 07:48 AM.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Laser AMS on an already hot build and energy builds in general is not what I would recommend. Heat is your DPS limiting factor on these and LAMS can generate a lot of it. Just go for regular AMS with one ton ammo. Same weight and space requirements, no heat.

#10 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 July 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Laser AMS on an already hot build and energy builds in general is not what I would recommend.

I run it all the time just fine. If I really need to increase my DPS, I turn off the AMS.

#11 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

Than try ams with one ton of ammo.

#12 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:55 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 10 July 2020 - 07:32 AM, said:

Than try ams with one ton of ammo.

I only run (ballistic) AMS if I run into slot issues.

#13 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 10 July 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

I only run (ballistic) AMS if I run into slot issues.

U mean for the additional dhs? I dont rly understand. Ams with one ton ammo is 2 slots and 1,5 tons like laser ams (on IS).
Esp in qp if u have time to burn through one ton of ammo something is strange. And if u run dry, your laser ams would be disabled more often than not. And u need your ams when u need your heat (aka are engaged). Otherwise cover is the better ams.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 10 July 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#14 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 10 July 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

U mean for the additional dhs? I dont rly understand. Ams with one ton ammo is 2 slots and 1,5 tons like laser ams (on IS).
Esp in qp if u have time to burn through one ton of ammo something is strange. And if u run dry, your laser ams would be disabled more often than not. And u need your ams when u need your heat (aka are engaged). Otherwise cover is the better ams.

Sometimes my builds run into issues with fitting a Laser AMS, due to a weapon placement issue, a DHS fitting issue, or a mix of XL or LFE engine slot usage. For example, my Banshees 3S's normally run a ballistic AMS, since the center torso also shares a laser hard point. Or I run LFEs in Black Knights with two slot laser weapons, and a Laser AMS can't fit. Otherwise I default to Laser AMS.

I've never had an issue with a single Laser AMS impacting my performance, provided I had enough DHS and the right amount of weapon heat & operations nodes enabled. I usually only need to shut it off if I'm riding my max heat (or I need to go into override). Otherwise, it works fine.

Edited by Yiryi-Sa, 10 July 2020 - 09:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users