Casual Pugs Should Not Have Their Own Que

76 replies to this topic

#61 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

View PostBelacose, on 11 May 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

And yet this '4 week trial' is pretty much the same system they've been running in War Thunder for years no player skill system and pugs combined with groups up to 4.

Add to that that WT just hit a record 121,784 players in game at the same time and maybe, just maybe, you can see the logic in PGI following suit? ...

Three difficulty modes from arcade to simulation
Available on Console/PC/Mac
Continuously adding more vehicles, play types, maps (80 maps now? Been adding more naval stuff).
Up to 16 players/team
Unlimited respawns in some modes

You guys with these comparisons that simply have no relevance......

#62 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 11 May 2020 - 10:51 AM, said:

Three difficulty modes from arcade to simulation
Available on Console/PC/Mac
Continuously adding more vehicles, play types, maps (80 maps now? Been adding more naval stuff).
Up to 16 players/team
Unlimited respawns in some modes

You guys with these comparisons that simply have no relevance......

lol @ the irony of your post listing a plethora of irrelevances.

The 'relevance' of my post was that there's flat out NO, NONE, ZERO, separation of players based on any skill in War Thunder. And as long as you don't team up with any more than a total of 4 players you are thrown in the same queue along with solo players.

As far as Arcade mode goes in WT there are plenty of highly skilled Arcade players clubbing noobs. I myself mostly played Realistic Mode Ground Forces ( tanks and planes ) and it was the same thing there - Vets clubbing noobs. In War Thunder it's trial by fire - lean how to swim or drown. Crash course to learning how to play. Playing Vs much better players will make you a better player rather than constantly gaming only with other bads for months to years. Put hair on your chest.

#63 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:38 PM

I'm a casual player that only plays Solo. I don't get the sense that the game play has changed drastically.

The only game that felt weird was one where I was down to 27% and when I survived with a few kills, I commented that I probably didn't have a point of armor left. Someone replied that it was on purpose as their side was just farming damage...kinda made me feel toyed with a bit but whatever.

#64 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

View PostBelacose, on 11 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

The 'relevance' of my post was that there's flat out NO, NONE, ZERO, separation of players based on any skill in War Thunder. And as long as you don't team up with any more than a total of 4 players you are thrown in the same queue along with solo players.

As far as Arcade mode goes in WT there are plenty of highly skilled Arcade players clubbing noobs. I myself mostly played Realistic Mode Ground Forces ( tanks and planes ) and it was the same thing there - Vets clubbing noobs. In War Thunder it's trial by fire - lean how to swim or drown. Crash course to learning how to play. Playing Vs much better players will make you a better player rather than constantly gaming only with other bads for months to years. Put hair on your chest.

You attempted to associate WT's high player count with allowing groups and solos to play together. I gave you a laundry list of reasons why they have a large player count. Since they have not tried a comparison of split vs. merged queues you have no cause to relate their grouping strategy with their player count. It's just wishful thinking to attempt to justify your approval of the merged queue. Try harder.

#65 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:56 PM

no. my first post above was in reply to your little buddy saying "it is an off the wall idea based on what Russ thinks people need." in reference to the 4 week test format.

It's not just some off the wall idea. It's based on the system employed by a highly successful competitor.

#66 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

View PostBelacose, on 11 May 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

no. my first post above was in reply to your little buddy saying "it is an off the wall idea based on what Russ thinks people need." in reference to the 4 week test format.

It's not just some off the wall idea. It's based on the system employed by a highly successful competitor.

Which is nothing like MWO and trying to say its a good idea because the other game has a lot of players is irrelevant. Please. Solo and group were separated in 2013-2014 because merged queues were bad for game play. The community wanted it and it worked out great once it was done.

This merge has resulted in less competitive matches and more stomps (not my conclusion, Russ'). And they've been running back to back events to juice participation during the "test". It's a foregone conclusion they're going to stick with it, but that doesn't mean its a good idea, it doesn't mean its good for the game, and Russ' comments on twitter show that he never intended for it to be a test, which means that his and Paul's statements were deceptive under the most forgiving interpretation.

#67 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:19 PM

View PostBelacose, on 11 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

You think...
- queue time to get a match
- respawn (in some modes)

...are irrelevant?

Seriously?

#68 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:27 PM

View PostSagara Sousuke 011011001, on 11 May 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

I'm a casual player that only plays Solo. I don't get the sense that the game play has changed drastically.

The only game that felt weird was one where I was down to 27% and when I survived with a few kills, I commented that I probably didn't have a point of armor left. Someone replied that it was on purpose as their side was just farming damage...kinda made me feel toyed with a bit but whatever.

I feel that it has changed quite a lot and in some aspects it is not just a feeling but also visible.

1. First of all, I witness a lot more stomps

2. Some matches are outright predictable - if you see a premade with certain names in it and you have only PuGers or a casual group, you know that you could actually go afk because it wouldn't make much of a difference

3. Mech diversity has gone down. It seems only the meta mechs are played. I was totally shocked when I saw a Raven 2X yesterday

4. Tonnage...you see more and more heavy/assault mechs - even more than before. Simply because most units want to establish firing lines and play WW1 trench warfare. It is also not very exciting but hey granted, that's a matter of taste

#69 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 11 May 2020 - 11:19 PM, said:

You think...
- queue time to get a match
- respawn (in some modes)

...are irrelevant?

Seriously?

Yes, I do believe that queue time plays second fiddle to getting a balanced match-up. And I am not unique in that.

View PostUnkerZ, on 05 May 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

I will wait 5 minutes if that is what it takes to get a balanced matchup

People want a fun game that has them on the edge of their seat, and I will take a 11-12 loss over a 12-0 win any day. Everyone who thinks otherwise is an insecure overgrown bully. If people see that they can now have a better experience and a bigger stake in the outcome of the match, they will be more willing to play, and as a result of that queue time will take care of itself.

#70 Princess Riikka

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:07 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 09 May 2020 - 01:24 AM, said:

What those people do not get is: once the solos leave the game because they got rolled once too often, the ones you mentioned are suddenly the new cannon fodder. And then QP is the new Group Queue....and equally dead.

Maybe the plan is to bore the higher-level players out of the game until there's nothing left but the mindless "I don't care if I lose [repeatedly and within about two minutes per match with no chance of accomplishing anything] if I get to drop with my pals" types. That can support some other casuals as well but not any of the hardcore types who actually care about things.

Mind you, that doesn't make it a good plan but maybe it is a PGI plan.

#71 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:39 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 11 May 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

Yes, I do believe that queue time plays second fiddle to getting a balanced match-up. And I am not unique in that.

The problem is that with groups the balance seems to be out of whack even more than before.

As for the time: I think long wait times (and the loading screens in MWO are long compared to queue times of other pvp modi in other games) in combination with a repeated rolls - win or loss - plays quite a roll in driving people away. I mean, why should you sit and wait and then watch loading screens for 5 min only to get steamrolled by a premade in 3 minutes...

View PostSniper09121986, on 11 May 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

People want a fun game that has them on the edge of their seat, and I will take a 11-12 loss over a 12-0 win any day. Everyone who thinks otherwise is an insecure overgrown bully. If people see that they can now have a better experience and a bigger stake in the outcome of the match, they will be more willing to play, and as a result of that queue time will take care of itself.

I totally agree with you on that. But as I said above, balance seems to be lousier than ever. I just have had 7 rolls in a row and quitted really pissed.

View PostPrincess Riikka, on 12 May 2020 - 02:07 AM, said:

Maybe the plan is to bore the higher-level players out of the game until there's nothing left but the mindless "I don't care if I lose [repeatedly and within about two minutes per match with no chance of accomplishing anything] if I get to drop with my pals" types. That can support some other casuals as well but not any of the hardcore types who actually care about things.

Mind you, that doesn't make it a good plan but maybe it is a PGI plan.

Sounds like a decent well-considered plan PGI might come up with ;)

#72 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:28 AM

View PostBelacose, on 11 May 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

So, the 3 spanners in-charge of PGI had a lousy idea and you're coming up with a false equivocation fallacy to make sense of it. Ok...

#73 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

I sit and watch the mech weight meter for a couple of minutes if I have to before I join the queue, until all of the weight classes are reasonably balanced. Nothing like dropping in Polar with no lights and all the 40 KPH assault pilots, the ones with no ECM or AMS, voted conquest.

I used to play hours at a time. One week Steam said that I had played 113 hours. Now I am lucky to play three or four matches before I give up on it. Just ordered a 6' maple top workbench and making plans to make some boxes. Always wanted to learn to cut dovetails, seems like a good time to learn.

#74 Negat1ve Nancy

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:21 PM

Many pugs don't even turn around when you shoot them in the back.
Easy kills.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users