Gameplay

9 replies to this topic

#1 Inner Sphincter

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:53 AM

Hello guys, today's happened something that thrilled me:
A friend, seeing me using AdvZoom aiming with Gauss, shouted me "NEVER USE ADVANCED TO AIM FROM SO FAR DISTANCE!"
So, I asked why, I ever thought it was exactly it's purpose: help me aim from distance.
He said me simply to don't use it, cos it's used to aim heads or specific mech parts, but from distance it has no use at all.
Can you guys explain me what exactly Advanced Zoom does and when to use it?
thankyou all.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

I mostly use it to see what that thing I see in the distance is that might be and put a few rounds into it just to be sure. When you have poor eyesight and want to play sniper it does help to have adv zoom. My main problem besides that is projectile speed so I miss more than I aim for thus I find mechs with a velocity/range quirk. Hbk4G is my main sniper mech. Lgr or standard guass on it rocks.

Since mechs are the only things that move on maps you just have to learn how to lead properly and time your shots.

#3 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

Don't.

#4 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:46 PM

Its of marginal use but I like to use it on extreme range sniping mechs in Faction Play. In Quick Play you are unlikely to ever engage at that kind of ranges.

#5 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

I use it all the time. Good for laser vomit (any hit scan weapons) but not so great for Dakka / ppc (velocity dependent weapons). It does take away your situational awareness so it’s better to pop in and out of zoom frequently and move instead of standing still.
Often when you’re zoomed in you can’t see the arty at your feet.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:33 PM

If you're shooting at something at 900m or beyond, then yeah. Anything under that distance will only hamper your reactions.

#7 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

tl;dr:
just don't. use the points for more useful stuff Posted Image
there are exceptions, but that's the general rule.

#8 Magical Bacon

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 02:49 AM

I find it being faster to toggle the advanced zoom than double tapping to get the second zoom level when taking snapshots at enemies.

#9 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:02 AM

View PostMagical Bacon, on 04 May 2020 - 02:49 AM, said:

I find it being faster to toggle the advanced zoom than double tapping to get the second zoom level when taking snapshots at enemies.

I have bound "toggle maximum zoom level" in the place of the normal zoom button and "maximum zoom" and "minimum zoom" to mouse wheel up and down. The middle setting is pointless.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:24 AM

View PostGagis, on 04 May 2020 - 03:02 AM, said:

I have bound "toggle maximum zoom level" in the place of the normal zoom button and "maximum zoom" and "minimum zoom" to mouse wheel up and down. The middle setting is pointless.

I got my scroll wheel set for Zoom in/out. Advanced zoom wrecks my situational awareness so flicking it off without the jar from the whole cockpit rushing back and forth is of great help for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users