19 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

Who would have thought that this 'Mech was actually quite good? A while ago some Really Good Players announced its worthlessness and that was that, I even jumped on that bandwagon. But after seeing a couple of guys pull off some amazing victories on their own I gave it a go. It's like a Gargoyle, except paradoxically more agile. The power fist almost always explodes, and losing pretty much any limb is a total disaster, so heavy survival tree is a must. But my God, 90 kph (plus Masc benefit while jumping as long as it's on when you start) is pretty great. Nobody expects that. Also the torso laser mounts are acceptably positioned, so you can top peak.

#2 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:15 AM

It's tonnage starved for weapons, has horrible hitboxes, can really do loadouts that most mediums can do, and is the biggest target for the enemy team. I still think it is ridiculously fun and I absolutely love it. When you can make an Executioner work, it is quite rewarding. Best thing is the intimidation factor for new players when they see this 90 ton hulking machine charging at them with MASC and they panic.

#3 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:16 AM

I think the problem is it is starved of podspace AND critslots while being energy weapon centric

Combine that with a lot of knuckledragging hardpoints and it becomes meh.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:33 AM

I'd really rather just use the Gargles, mostly for the better hitboxes (Gladiator has a really big CT and can't even twist a full 90 degrees to protect it).

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 May 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

I'd really rather just use the Gargles, mostly for the better hitboxes (Gladiator has a really big CT and can't even twist a full 90 degrees to protect it).

I've found the CT to not be the weakest part of the 'Mech, not because it is somehow well protected, but because every other part of the Executioner is even bigger. I usually lose both arms before the sides or middle go, which is why I put my microlaser array into the Powerfist and put the bigger lasers into the torsos. It's a beauty of a 'Mech and has began to work well in the current SOUP queue now that I have zeroed in on a build.

#6 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

It is my most played mech by far, though I am not active anymore.

MASC is underrated, if MASC ever showed up on an 85 tonner I'd be hooked.

#7 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:23 PM

i bought one, havent tried it yet in public but i did mess with it in the testing grounds. seems too fragile for a brawler. but quite speedy. i think if it had ECM it would be quite effective. the problem is its FRIGGIN HUGE.

I ended up buying 2 more riflemen iic's for lawls in a riflemen fp deck. I didnt even know the riflemen can alpha 4 large pulse lasers with no ghost heat (WTF!!!!).

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

Yup 4 pulse lasers is my favourite build for that guy, it can alpha about 2.5 times before needing a break, that's some good damage output.

#9 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

The EXE is huge with low mounts and would get wrecked hard in a T0 battle.

But in random quick play where anything can work, I have a couple of So8 EXE builds that can apply a lot of hurt. It can be a pretty fun mech if you use all its abilities in a fight.

#10 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

I liked my EXE-A when it had energy range quirks instead of LPL+1 hsl. You could play 7 HML+gauss or 4 mpl+2HLL+erml... but since that patch (I believe it was one of the last) the only way to build it is around 3 LPL.
As for the rest - D was always great with 10 mpl, some others were played around 4 LPL or 3-4 ERPPC (since torso mounts are really high)...and that's it I suppose.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 04 May 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

I liked my EXE-A when it had energy range quirks instead of LPL+1 hsl. You could play 7 HML+gauss or 4 mpl+2HLL+erml... but since that patch (I believe it was one of the last) the only way to build it is around 3 LPL.
As for the rest - D was always great with 10 mpl, some others were played around 4 LPL or 3-4 ERPPC (since torso mounts are really high)...and that's it I suppose.

Yup I tried the A first but the LPL quirk for a set of 8 gash pods isn't worth it. You have all of your weapons mounted in low arms which absolutely guarantees that you are going to get pelted no matter what. 60 alpha can be done with many other 'Mechs without exposing everything. I prefer running with 4 energy in the torsos and the powerfist for a much more durable build.

#12 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:18 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 May 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yup I tried the A first but the LPL quirk for a set of 8 gash pods isn't worth it. You have all of your weapons mounted in low arms which absolutely guarantees that you are going to get pelted no matter what. 60 alpha can be done with many other 'Mechs without exposing everything. I prefer running with 4 energy in the torsos and the powerfist for a much more durable build.

Its 76 alpha with med heavies. MASC to get behind a wall and chill for a bit. It can definitely do some good executing.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

you can make it do work but you have to know how to handle it. jumpjets can make it turn faster, and masc can give you near instant acceleration, so it can do some pretty nimble foot work that gives fast movers a run for their money. this also makes it a very good atm boat, as you can skate the 120m range bracket with ease while carrying enough backup lasers in the other arm to melt the face of anyone who tries to bum rush you.

its drawbacks is the mostly arm bound loadout, so losing an arm hurts. so using those arms to tank damage is likely going to quickly lead to a lack of weapons. its not really spectacular against assault mechs unless its supported by the team. you wont be running any heavy ballistics because of the weight limits though and the ballistic hardpoints are terrible, if you get the hero omnis so you can have 2 ballistic arms, you might be lucky to make a bad dual 5 (maybe 10 if you strip some armor) boat.

its a mech well suited to a specific play style. if you are looking for a fast, maneuverable nimble assault mech that plays like a heavy with the loadout of a medium, then its probably going to be a hit. but if you can make it work its worth more than the sum of its parts (which isnt exactly a high bar).

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:10 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 03 May 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

Who would have thought that this 'Mech was actually quite good? A while ago some Really Good Players announced its worthlessness and that was that, I even jumped on that bandwagon. But after seeing a couple of guys pull off some amazing victories on their own I gave it a go. It's like a Gargoyle, except paradoxically more agile. The power fist almost always explodes, and losing pretty much any limb is a total disaster, so heavy survival tree is a must. But my God, 90 kph (plus Masc benefit while jumping as long as it's on when you start) is pretty great. Nobody expects that. Also the torso laser mounts are acceptably positioned, so you can top peak.

poor ole gargles hasn't been the same since the spl nerf. if it was good at anything else id still be using it (which is a shame as it was a fun mech). erml boat maybe. fortunately we have the exe to get a similar play style with enough pod space to mount weapons other than lasers. its like if you had a gargles, and let me swap the engine with something smaller then throw on masc and jj.

ive always had issues with so called meta builds not being as good as the hype (even my kdk3 isn't living up to the hype when it was considered op) and ive had so called garbage mechs do extremely well. i have pretty comprehensive spreadsheets which tell me what mechs are good and what are bad, what the best variant is, or if i have something built in a bad way. i find a couple of my exes near the top of that list.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 May 2020 - 10:20 PM.

#15 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:17 AM

Its just a horribly inefficient chassis - engine too big wasting weight with too little tonnage for big guns despite the fact that its an assault.

Unfortunately the game punishes the weight of bigger engines. Assaults get slowed down mobility wise... so it only makes sense to just bring a heavy with equal guns.

Its not like engine 400 helps to drive faster aim, turns anymore or make an assault run the speed of a medium. Just doesnt scale

#16 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

I always wanted to brawl in Executioners, back when cSPL were alpha oriented weapons rather than the peanut guns they are now it even performed adequately yet barely. Now it's an steaming pile of horse....

I used to run 7 cSPL + 2 SRM6A + 3 cERML, you could get it working.

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:08 AM

View PostBrizna, on 07 May 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

I always wanted to brawl in Executioners, back when cSPL were alpha oriented weapons rather than the peanut guns they are now it even performed adequately yet barely. Now it's an steaming pile of horse....

Yeah Clan SPLs are a little heavy for what they do. I use 7 micros instead for the close range kick.

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:17 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 May 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yeah Clan SPLs are a little heavy for what they do. I use 7 micros instead for the close range kick.

I find them to work pretty well on my favorite Cauldron Born build (2 ERPPCs + 6 SPLs). I think the trick is that their heat is so low that they're inefficient (heat is a resource to be used) when used by themselves, but they work pretty well as a supplement for high-heat main guns.

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

View PostBrizna, on 07 May 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

its ok if you wanted a hyper moble assault. sort of like players that prefer slow lights with lots of guns or fast mediums that are more like lights. if you prefer tank assaults then there are already dires and annis in the game. its not a jack of all trades but its real good at what it does do. i once single handedly defended my assault lance from a wolfpack in an exe keeping another 250+ tons in game. then again its not great at fighting tanky mechs.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 May 2020 - 05:54 PM.

#20 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:54 PM

The Executioner's usefulness is severly limited by the fact that it's mobility just isn't very good. Even using MASC to help out it handles like a barge and the pathetic jump you get out of it doesn't give it the vertical mobility that could really make it shine.

If it had JJ quirks to let it make the most of it's vertical mobility then I could see it carve out a nice niche along side the Gargoyle but right now why would you ever want to run an EXE instead of one?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users