Sunday Night Quality

20 replies to this topic

#1 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

Sunday night, Euro-time. Games launches instantaneously. Very poor quality and uneven teams. Earlier today was a lot better for some reason. :/

This is QP, playing solo.

Edited by O L L O, 03 May 2020 - 01:13 PM.

#2 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

There is no solo quick play anymore. Were you solo dropping in the new group quickplay?

#3 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:03 PM

Yes, sorry, I wasnt very clear. I was playing solo in the quick play queue, witn some groups mixed in. I think PGI are testing different settings in the MM and so things may have changed during the day Quality appeared better in late afternoon.

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

Depends on who is playing, I used to find Saturday evening/night EST to be *the worst* time to play - that's about midnight/1am CET.

Edited by RickySpanish, 03 May 2020 - 02:06 PM.

#5 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:37 PM

Games are a mix of ok to horrible.

Maybe I should have tried to find a unit before this, but experience has taught me joining organizations = egos and politics.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:25 PM

View PostNearly Dead, on 03 May 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

Games are a mix of ok to horrible.

Maybe I should have tried to find a unit before this, but experience has taught me joining organizations = egos and politics.

Or you could've just made friends instead of living like a hermit Posted Image

#7 UnkerZ

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:13 PM

View PostO L L O, on 03 May 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

Sunday night, Euro-time. Games launches instantaneously. Very poor quality and uneven teams. Earlier today was a lot better for some reason. :/

This is QP, playing solo.

This is MWO. If anything the latest update has only amplified the previous problems up to fourfold. I've met 4 group teams that rolled harder than quadruple potatoes. On the other hand I've seen 4 group teams that stomp 12 in a single run. GG.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 03 May 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Honestly just soloing is perfectly OK, there aren't that many truly good 4 man teams out there, and those that are you can learn a thing or two from.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:38 PM

I dont mind the groups. The problem is that now are crazy amounts of 20% jarls in my game. Tier system might have been borked but at least it was an xp bar. Pgi should use the "high" que numbers to tighten the mm!! Better matches result in more people coming back.

#10 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:42 PM

We play for few hours tonight with a 3-4 group and only had 1 wipe game. Most very close . I had a ton of fun, Its much better than sync dropping.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 03 May 2020 - 11:43 PM.

#11 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:03 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 03 May 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

I dont mind the groups. The problem is that now are crazy amounts of 20% jarls in my game. Tier system might have been borked but at least it was an xp bar. Pgi should use the "high" que numbers to tighten the mm!! Better matches result in more people coming back.

Have you been paying attention? Only reason people are coming back now are for the LULZ of premades farming PUGS the way faction wars used to be. If MM starts putting premades against premades then they will figure out how to que dodge or just quit for the same reasons they quit faction wars. They’re returning for the easy stomps, not competition.

Edited by Knight Captain Morgan, 04 May 2020 - 05:38 AM.

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:04 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 03 May 2020 - 11:42 PM, said:

We play for few hours tonight with a 3-4 group and only had 1 wipe game. Most very close . I had a ton of fun, Its much better than sync dropping.

My experience so far:
  • Games are a lot more stompy. If there's a competitive group on one side they're wiping the other team. Have yet to play a game where there's competitive groups on both sides.
  • There's less nascar because the group players tend to act as anchors and/or directing the puggers.
  • Random dropzones is actually a good thing, less predictable starting movements, has lead to fighting in different areas of the maps.
  • Tonnage balance needs reigning, I'm likeing the discrepancy but there are times where it is excessive. Group players need theirs tightening as this often appears to cause a noticable discrepancy.
  • Seeing a lot of 3-mans, and played several games with group players totalling 5 and one with 6. Possibility of an exploit where units could sync-drop more than 4 players on a single team. Tweaking matchmaker to only permit groups of 2 or 4 should fix this.
Not sure if it's better than sync-dropping, games are certainly more interesting. The problem is still with the competitive teams who wipe, which was the same issue with sync-dropping, only now it's more common.

#13 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:32 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 03 May 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

Somewhat true in years past with some units. Just some, that's it, not even most.

What was more common - someone with little experience and / or skill would play with more experienced / better players and get their feelings hurt when suggestions were given to them on how to not be terrible.

Sometimes open minded players picked up the suggestions and got gud. Many didn't and came to the forums to complain.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:52 AM

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 08 May 2020 - 04:32 AM, said:

Somewhat true in years past with some units. Just some, that's it, not even most.

What was more common - someone with little experience and / or skill would play with more experienced / better players and get their feelings hurt when suggestions were given to them on how to not be terrible.

Sometimes open minded players picked up the suggestions and got gud. Many didn't and came to the forums to complain.

I dunno, in my FP years there was a lot of abuse hurled at solos from the units. Hurling abuse at someone because they haven't brought a meta-deck is still abuse no matter how you dress it up.

There were some pretty chill units too though, guess it was luck of the matchmaker who you encountered.

#15 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:04 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 May 2020 - 06:04 AM, said:

• There's less nascar because the group players tend to act as anchors and/or directing the puggers.

My experience has been that there is less nascar because in the absence of any selectivity based on level of experience there is a preponderance of timid and unskilled players whose primary objective is to avoid contact with the enemy. You can't rotate around a central point if a significant fraction of players are attempting to hide on the map peripheries.

Nor do they respond to 'directing', cajoling or pleading to engage.

#16 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:48 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 May 2020 - 06:04 AM, said:

• Seeing a lot of 3-mans, and played several games with group players totalling 5 and one with 6. Possibility of an exploit where units could sync-drop more than 4 players on a single team. Tweaking matchmaker to only permit groups of 2 or 4 should fix this.
Not sure if it's better than sync-dropping, games are certainly more interesting. The problem is still with the competitive teams who wipe, which was the same issue with sync-dropping, only now it's more common.

Me and my fellows are usually a group of 4-9 people most nights. We have gotten the best results getting into the same drop by playing as 3s and 2s. As a 4 with syncing solos, we've gotten up to two solos in the same match but any more than that they get spit into different matches (so far). Dropping as two 4s, we get squared up against each other less than half the time; most often one gets an instant drop and the other gets a match ~30 seconds later (NA prime time). We keep meaning to try a pure all solo synch drop and also as 2-mans, but we never seem to remember to do it after it's been proposed.

Apropos, I feel like the biggest issue with this system is the tonnage aspect of the MM being essentially tossed out the window. Matches with 1-2 assaults on one side vs up to 8 on the other side are pretty damn common now and it feels pretty ridiculous after a few matches. Maybe just unlucky in the draw, but massive tonnage disparity seems much more common than getting rolled by a skilled group running 4 Riflemen IIcs, or what have you (which certainly is happening to us quite frequently, but not as frequently as I expected).

#17 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:32 AM

From what I've experienced, and of course mileage may vary. When soloing, I haven't noticed that big of a change regarding the amount of stomps, it's more HOW the stomps take place. There's less Nascar now, which seemed to lead to many stomps as the faster mechs on one team caught up to the slower mechs on the other team. Now it's a good group can make the difference.

I've never expected a balanced gameplay experience from MW:O anyways what with a lack of MM. Only thing that my friends and I have thought up as maybe something to lower the impact of group stomps is to lower the max group size to 3, and who knows if that would even work.

#18 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:32 AM

View Postbilagaana, on 08 May 2020 - 07:04 AM, said:

My experience has been that there is less nascar because in the absence of any selectivity based on level of experience there is a preponderance of timid and unskilled players whose primary objective is to avoid contact with the enemy. You can't rotate around a central point if a significant fraction of players are attempting to hide on the map peripheries.

Nor do they respond to 'directing', cajoling or pleading to engage.

Yep, this is my experience both in QP and FW. Directions like "take spine, D4/D5" on HPG lead to teams hiding in the death trap behind the central high ground. Teams see a 12 man pushing across the valley on new Frozen and decide to hide in the buildings instead of teeing off on the brawlers as they rush in, 6+ players in an FW match fail to break 1,000 damage and do things like bring UAC10s to Polar.

#19 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,982 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 03 May 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

God forbid people play a game for fun and enjoy a couple of casual matches were they play the mech/loadout they like and vent some steam. Then log off/in or have a break whenever they want.

Crazy idea, I know, completely crazy these hermits... I bet they have no friends in rl either...

#20 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,982 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 08 May 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

Me and my fellows are usually a group of 4-9 people most nights. We have gotten the best results getting into the same drop by playing as 3s and 2s. As a 4 with syncing solos, we've gotten up to two solos in the same match but any more than that they get spit into different matches (so far). Dropping as two 4s, we get squared up against each other less than half the time; most often one gets an instant drop and the other gets a match ~30 seconds later (NA prime time). We keep meaning to try a pure all solo synch drop and also as 2-mans, but we never seem to remember to do it after it's been proposed.

Apropos, I feel like the biggest issue with this system is the tonnage aspect of the MM being essentially tossed out the window. Matches with 1-2 assaults on one side vs up to 8 on the other side are pretty damn common now and it feels pretty ridiculous after a few matches. Maybe just unlucky in the draw, but massive tonnage disparity seems much more common than getting rolled by a skilled group running 4 Riflemen IIcs, or what have you (which certainly is happening to us quite frequently, but not as frequently as I expected).

I have had that, too, however, not that extreme. It was like zero assaults on one team and like 3-5 on the other.
As for sync dropping...it seems not really regular but also not that uncommon that a you see 2x3 or 2+3 group and then a couple of buddies solo in the same team.
This is exactly what drives people away. It is simply no fun and just shows that a lot of people are real hypocrites when they claim they want "competetive matches".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users