The Matchmaker We Need But Not The Matchmaker We'll Get!

4 replies to this topic

#1 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:25 AM

DOUBLE-POSTING FOR A DOUBLE-ENDED MATCHMAKER!

-----

On one end we have the solos,
In the middle we have small groups (2-4),
On the other we have large groups (5-12),

The matchmaker pulls matches from both end:

On one side it pulls solos, when it runs out of solos it starts pulling Small groups to top up the number of players.
On the other side it pulls groups L->S when it runs out of group players it uses solos to fill the holes.

Solos play solos, groups play groups and the only time it pulls from the other is when population is insufficient, and the odd occasions where all other matches are filled.

How you match tier in all that.... who cares, tier is already broken.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

the population is always going to be insufficient, as it has always been. but thats a completely different problem (and fixed by dynamic match sizes). pgi has had a bad habbit of overestimating the population when designing lobbies and match makers.

and just because its a group doesn't mean that the players are good. which always brings us back to the importance of tiers that actually mean something. so when your typical tier1 protater decides to bring his 2 nephews into his group (inexplicably also in t1 because that's how low the skill bar is now), how is the game supposed to know that they are worse than a group made of mwowc winners? groups are just a less granular pug lotto when you think about it. the entire system is effectively random unless you just happen to be one of the handful of lucky players in a tier other than 1.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 May 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

How you match tier in all that.... who cares, tier is already broken.

For the most part, yes. But it keeps the new players out of possible games with comp-groups.

Your idea might seem good on paper at first glance but it can run into a cycle of constantly dropping solos on one team with groups on the other. So, no. There's no need to aggravate an already dire situation. Fix the tier system first, make sure the tonnage is evenly distributed, the groups should be assessed via a threat value of some sort and then be evenly distributed between both teams.

#4 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:47 AM

Tiers nicht be broken BUT at least it is an XP bar. With current Frankenstein MM i end up with 20% jarls in all my matches and it is just awfull. We need 2 use the "higher" population to tighten the mm.

P.s. yes u can be 20% and still tier1 but that's far less likely. I checked a name I didn't (at the beginning of the match) now every match since the change. Not once! The player was above 30%!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tier reset every month and mm starts with only +1-1 tier. Only softening up after 2 mins wait. ->fixed.
I don't mind the groups. At least with 4 man emp in red I know I get quality red team.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 05 May 2020 - 02:54 AM.

#5 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:25 PM

Make tier like time in service. Something to brag on and put next to our avatars in the forum but don't use it for anything. PGI is committed to it, let them save face and have their feel good badges, but take it out of the decision making process.

Make a new metric called match contribution that only the match maker sees and use that for putting people in games. I have posted this in two other threads but I will again just to be any annoying pedant.

Match Contribution = damage in the match divided by mech tonnage. Add AMS, TAG, NARC and UAV damage. Average the most recent 100 matches.

That is a players average contribution score. I don't see how you could game it to raise it like win/loss. You did damage or did not do damage. Teams have tonnage, in general the heavier mechs can expect to do more damage. But light mechs serve a very useful purpose and can decide a game so using raw damage would not work. A flea might kill 4 mechs with 500 or 600 damage while an assault might kill the same number of mechs and score 1000+ because they can't chase them down and target small hit boxes. Keep it as fair as possible. Same with a big LRM boat. I've done 1200 plus in losing matches and killed only one or two mechs. Damage was too spread out on available targets and across the various parts of the mechs.

You could also use the existing team score, just ignore W/L. That has the advantage of already existing and already including the AMS, TAG etc. Unfortunately it also includes feel good fluf like Lance in Formation. Like Marshal Ney is in charge and we are marching in step, bayonets fixed, to thrash the Redcoats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users