Returning Player Rage

86 replies to this topic

#1 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

So after years of being away, came back a couple of days ago. Figure I'd give Faction Play a go, and my first experience in it was rage inducing.

Our team dropped in a spread of tonnage, while we had one of the drops on the other team just running Awesomes, and they were coordinated. They ran right up to the middle spawn and spawn camped the poor souls there, completely disregarding everything else. When they finally got put down, the whole group spawned as Awesomes yet again and moved to the next spawn point, which unfortunately was mine. We got spawn camped and destroyed.

In short, I'm never going to touch faction play again, and I'm not surprised that there's plenty who say that it's dead if this can occur.

#2 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 05 May 2020 - 08:12 PM, said:

So after years of being away, came back a couple of days ago. Figure I'd give Faction Play a go, and my first experience in it was rage inducing.

Our team dropped in a spread of tonnage, while we had one of the drops on the other team just running Awesomes, and they were coordinated. They ran right up to the middle spawn and spawn camped the poor souls there, completely disregarding everything else. When they finally got put down, the whole group spawned as Awesomes yet again and moved to the next spawn point, which unfortunately was mine. We got spawn camped and destroyed.

In short, I'm never going to touch faction play again, and I'm not surprised that there's plenty who say that it's dead if this can occur.

They could literally fix this by randomizing spawns. Can't do that for siege/assault though, but that can be remedied with turrets that actually hurt you if you ignore them. They can also make it where you stay in the drop ship and wait for team mates to spawn in them and sync drop to the ground.

Edited by Zirconium Kaze, 05 May 2020 - 11:04 PM.

#3 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:20 PM

Ok form what i can see in jarls u played 12 matches. 12. 12. 12.

If u first open up faction tab there is an warning , that u fight against premades with leveled mechs suited for the map and perhaps years of xp.

Red team just ended it fast, when they realised your team was just canon fodder so they get a new match.

If u want to solo drop in faction play, that is the hardcoremode per se. Even if u are Top 1% u can't carry 12 potatoes vs good premade.
Bare minimum for faction (personal tip) 2 drop decks with mastered meta mechs. One long range (erlarge mechs with range quirks) and one mid range (laser or dakka). Best with a group because otherwise your xp will be rough.

When u spawn u can change dropzones by taking group command and assign yourself to another lance. But its mostly game over all ready.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 05 May 2020 - 11:22 PM.

#4 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:42 AM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 05 May 2020 - 08:12 PM, said:

In short, I'm never going to touch faction play again
Tnx! this is the best you can do for FP with your "skills", no kidding.

#5 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:40 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 05 May 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

Ok form what i can see in jarls u played 12 matches. 12. 12. 12.

If u first open up faction tab there is an warning , that u fight against premades with leveled mechs suited for the map and perhaps years of xp.

Red team just ended it fast, when they realised your team was just canon fodder so they get a new match.

If u want to solo drop in faction play, that is the hardcoremode per se. Even if u are Top 1% u can't carry 12 potatoes vs good premade.
Bare minimum for faction (personal tip) 2 drop decks with mastered meta mechs. One long range (erlarge mechs with range quirks) and one mid range (laser or dakka). Best with a group because otherwise your xp will be rough.

When u spawn u can change dropzones by taking group command and assign yourself to another lance. But its mostly game over all ready.

Yes, I have 12 matches in Jarl, because I played more extensively at launch before Jarl was a thing. I stopped playing for literally years, and came back recently. I've played more than that in the short amount that I came back, Jarl has some delay when it comes to uploading matches apparently.

View PostAivazovsky, on 06 May 2020 - 02:42 AM, said:

Tnx! this is the best you can do for FP with your "skills", no kidding.

Yes, I am rusty. Yes, I follow the mentality of a light pilot where if I'm having half their team chase the squirrel for 3-4 minutes that's a win for me even if I don't have any meaningful damage because I'm splitting their focus. Not my fault that my team cowers behind buildings afraid to scratch their paint.

One of the biggest complaints I have seen researching after returning is that both FP and Solaris are pretty much dead, and I'm guessing this is the reason why. I'm fine with Solaris being an elite 1v1/2v2 thing because it's all about waving your epeen around and online games need that, but in order to pull that off we need a large competitive scene. MWO doesn't have that from what I can tell.

I've never seen a successful faction vs faction play in a game that tries to attract casuals like MWO does though. The only times I've seen that done successfully is when the base game is already pretty hardcore, and MWO is not.

#6 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

faction has nothing to do with factions. This are just blinking planets.

U dont have to be elite to play faction. Just one long and one med range deck and average above 1000 (350 in qp)are rly helpfull.

So instead of blaming the game. What was the map mode/ and your drop deck. What is your mouse sense...
Try to adapt.in Q

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 06 May 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#7 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 06 May 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

faction has nothing to do with factions. This are just blinking planets.

U dont have to be elite to play faction. Just one long and one med range deck and average above 1000 are rly helpfull.

So instead of blaming the game. What was the map mode/ and your drop deck. What is your mouse sense...
Try to adapt.

Yes, because one long range and one medium range deck would've totally helped 4 Awesomes rolling through a different spawn point that just stomped that other spawn.

I'm not saying that I am an amazing player without room to improve, but the situation where you can have one lance just rip through a team with their first drop is not a good design decision.

#8 Bjorn Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

So have you stopped playing FP yet? Don't really see the need for you to keep arguing against people who have actually adapted to FP and are successful trying to give you advice if you think the game is dead and said you weren't going to play again. Cause if you're not going to listen, we can consign this thread to the cache of previous ones of lone pilots complaining how broken and unfair FP is while not listening to any advice, cause newsflash, you're not the first.

FP still has a dedicated community who plays and there are plenty of units that take new pilots (or returning ones like yourself) and help them adapt and learn as long as they truly want to. Sorry you had a bad time in one match, but so have the rest of us multiple times throughout the years but we're still here and having fun.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

so u got rolled one game, in team mode, dropping solo, as inexperienced player, with bad builds...

Also why should a good premade not roll u?

#10 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostBjorn Bekker, on 06 May 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

So have you stopped playing FP yet? Don't really see the need for you to keep arguing against people who have actually adapted to FP and are successful trying to give you advice if you think the game is dead and said you weren't going to play again. Cause if you're not going to listen, we can consign this thread to the cache of previous ones of lone pilots complaining how broken and unfair FP is while not listening to any advice, cause newsflash, you're not the first.

FP still has a dedicated community who plays and there are plenty of units that take new pilots (or returning ones like yourself) and help them adapt and learn as long as they truly want to. Sorry you had a bad time in one match, but so have the rest of us multiple times throughout the years but we're still here and having fun.

Ah yes, there are no discussions only arguments on the internet. The advice that I've seen is 'git gud' so far in this thread, with only one that even considered that there's a problem with the system. And yes, I did stop playing after that one game. Turned off notifications and will not look back. The concept I really like (actually having a longer 'campaign' to play through), but from what I've seen the execution is very much lacking.

I did some research before jumping in, and most of the top google hits over the past year have been complaints about wait times for FP. That shows that the majority of the population doesn't play that mode, because no one is complaining about wait times in QP. There's a reason for that. The rewards are not enticing enough and/or the game mode is not conducive towards the majority of the population.

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 06 May 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

so u got rolled one game, in team mode, dropping solo, as inexperienced player, with bad builds...

Also why should a good premade not roll u?

It wasn't a premade group, it was a premade lance that rolled a team. I don't know if my teammates had bad builds, but I do know that my builds aren't completely horrible. I'm more than willing to admit that I'm still catching up (and most of the cobwebs are shaken off at this point), but there was no chance.

#11 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

Of course there are systemic problems, and they have been discussed for years.

The only thing you can control is your own play, and dropping with a group instead of solo. So yes, git gud is indeed solid advice in this situation. Especially if a single lance of Awesomes (lol) was strong enough to cut through your entire team and farm your dropzones.

Don't like it when a team farms your dropzones? Stop them before they get there.

#12 Bjorn Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 06 May 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

And yes, I did stop playing after that one game. Turned off notifications and will not look back.

Okay then why are you still here?

#13 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:28 PM

Can you guys stop being a holes. The guy had a bad experience and it’s completely understandable. This is why we alienate so many fp players... we need more people in the queue not less.

#14 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

I just have realised that MWO does not have any FACTION PLAY FOR DUMMIES STARTERS thread.
And that is actually a very big problem.
I mean, yeah, there are some streamers who can explain things.
There are some mech lists for FW from good players.
But that is absolutely not enough for a new player to start playing FW properly.
I understand that MWO is probably coming to EOL, but I hope someone (better - a group of people from different units and opinions) would write a summary guide. That could extand MWO FP life.
Anyone willing to try? I'm not a native speaker, so writing a guide would probably be an overkill for me, but I can participate in writing some parts.
I recently saw 36vs36 in queue, so I guess It's never too late...

Edited by GweNTLeR, 06 May 2020 - 09:19 PM.

#15 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:40 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 06 May 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

I just have realised that MWO does not have any FACTION PLAY FOR DUMMIES STARTERS thread.
And that is actually a very big problem.

Leone wrote a really good one years ago, He and others used to bump it alot.

But he and Kcom are long gone now....

#16 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:53 PM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 06 May 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

Leone wrote a really good one years ago, He and others used to bump it alot.

But he and Kcom are long gone now....

Well, I checked several pages and did not find anything.
I guess nobody would dig that hard.
Post a link if possible.
EDIT: found it. Yeah, pretty nice guide, but still not exactly what is necessary. It only covers tactical questions.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 07 May 2020 - 12:01 AM.

#17 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:16 AM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 06 May 2020 - 11:53 PM, said:

Well, I checked several pages and did not find anything.
I guess nobody would dig that hard.
Post a link if possible.

I'll look, I actually think it might be in new player help lol. You know.... That terrible place where God awful players like Koniving,Khobai, Johny ****** Rico, And the rest of brown sea naval command push the worst forms of bad and outright wrong info on the most vulnerable part of the playerbase?

#18 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:32 AM

@ hellbringer u learned father hard way. Not many are willing to loose 20 in a row without a chance and 300 like dmg.

@ OP the design ideas like is none existent. Pgi could offer a car for every planet taken. Ignore the star map!!!
Why should 4 good pilots not beat 4 bad? In mwo a good pilot has a 2+ k/d. In other shooters more like 30/1.

@guide there are guides (mercstar for example). Just a bit outdated and more nsr in mind.
The one big thing to learn besides routes and strong positions is trading. U cant write a guide how to trade.

#19 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:36 AM

It wouldn't hurt to give encouragement instead of just ******** on people when they have a bad experience. I know the prevailing attitude is that FP is for the "elite few" but seriously, **** off with that noise; FP has fallen down to QP with respawns and if you enjoy it, the bestvtjing you can do is get more people in, not gate the ******* mode. There's more than a handful of ways to play, more than a dozen mechs to use, everything doesn't have to be so cookie cutter ******** where we tell folks they can only us A or B mechs, only use a couple strategies or they can go away. Half the people that crap on new guys weren't around when the strongest units in the game were around; Nightscorn, NKVA, MS's A team of guys, Lords, original KCom, original EVIL, and others I won't bother listing out cause I don't have time. Hell, even the B tier units from ages past were very good. If you dropped on the clan border, you were guaranteed to have a mixed team that would work together and put up a fight. And even then, people didn't **** on new players as hard as they do now. So offer up some help or just let people rant and leave it alone. This forum has become so full of mean girls it's getting ******* disgusting.

Oh ****, Gwentler is right; a guide by people with various options/playstyles would be very helpful. Christ I'm getting salty lately; I shoulda said that first.

#20 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:45 AM

View Postccrider, on 07 May 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

If you dropped on the clan border, you were guaranteed to have a mixed team that would work together and put up a fight. And even then, people didn't **** on new players as hard as they do now. So offer up some help or just let people rant and leave it alone.

This forum has become so full of mean girls it's getting ******* disgusting.

Unfortunately, Both of these statements are true....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users