42 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:39 PM

It seems that piloting Lights is something I'm good at, so I'd love some recommendations from other Light pilots. I use the Wolfhound Grinner and Incubus 4 right now, and was thinking of buying a Flea or perhaps a Cougar. Trashcan might also be on the books but I'm not sold on its ugliness. Suggestions on a postcard?

#2 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

The lights I run are mostly for hit and run or anti-light builds. In no order they are:

lcts: find the one with quirks you like and run wild. Pirate is well worth getting. Got all of them.
rvn 4x: nice mix of weapon types and jump jets.
rvn3l: for all your ecm and stealth needs.
com2d: same as 3l but faster.
Osr Skemet: like the lcts but with jump jets plus extra pay bonus.
Katana Kat: Forget ppcs and go lasers and you have the second tank-ist is light mech.
All urbs: the TANK of is lights and just as slow as one. 360 is very nice.
Is Jenner D: ssrms4s and mls make it a good light hunter.
Is Oxide: The hurt of a cptl-A1 miniaturized. Srm4/6s bring the pain. Drops dire whales so fast called the Harpoon.
spr-5v: the cowards' mech with 80% capture quirk. For when you want to be "that guy" that tries to assault the base and cap win conquest.
cada X-5: another good hunter killer mech with mls and srm/ssrms. Pay bonus.

For clans you have their top two light mechs. Cheetor for EZ win mode. Pirs for that mg laser love. Kit foxes for easy event ams farming and stat padding.

#3 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

My favourite is the shtitfox. With purifier torsos. Ecm. 4 er mediums. Super high mount. And tons of ams coverage. Love it.

#4 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:45 PM

arctic cheetah

#5 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:45 AM

Adder-B: https://mech.nav-alp...#01897980_ADR-B

Has a nasty left hook that people often seem to underestimate.
Can replace the right arm with the D arm for more armor to shield-arm with at the expense of pod bonuses and 5% cooldown.

#6 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:52 AM

Flea 17(+++): High DPS and very difficult to connect good hits on it.
Piranha 2 & 3 (+++): A lot easier to kill than Flea 17 but also a lot more dangerous, warning runs hot, you do not want to power down in front of Annihilator Posted Image
Flea 20(++): Has ECM but less DPS than Flea 17, all in all a downgrade for expert pilots but ECM makes it easier to survive.
Commando 2D(++): This guys with stealth armor is the hardest light mech to kill, of course this comes at a huge price in terms of fire-power, you will either have pitiful fire-power or will be ammo starved. It can also be built as a very effective NARC platform, obviously NARC is all this guys is going to do.
Locust 1E & 3M (++): The Locust equivalent to Flea 17, it has higher sustained speed but no MASC making it easier to hit.
Piranha Cipher (++): Very interesting mix of MGs and mini lasers make this a sub optimal but very flexible mechs.
Piranha 1 (++): It remains a solid mech but it's lack of meaningful weaponry other than MGs make it relatively useless in the early stages of the battle, towards the end though it is a monster.

These are the best true light mechs in my opinion, then there's the sluggish light mechs, these are slow but pack a lot more weapons but they are played in a very different way and while they are technically light mechs I think they belong to an entirely different category: Kit Fox, Adder, Cougar and Urbanmech.

Edit corrected Piranha A to Piranha 1, I was talking about "1", "A" is jsut a troll mech, but might be funny with 4 AMS.

Edited by Brizna, 07 May 2020 - 09:42 AM.

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:05 AM

View PostBrizna, on 07 May 2020 - 01:52 AM, said:

Flea 17(+++): High DPS and very difficult to connect good hits on it.
Piranha 2 & 3 (+++): A lot easier to kill than Flea 17 but also a lot more dangerous, warning runs hot, you do not want to power down in front of Annihilator Posted Image
Flea 20(++): Has ECM but less DPS than Flea 17, all in all a downgrade for expert pilots but ECM makes it easier to survive.
Commando 2D(++): This guys with stealth armor is the hardest light mech to kill, of course this comes at a huge price in terms of fire-power, you will either have pitiful fire-power or will be ammo starved. It can also be built as a very effective NARC platform, obviously NARC is all this guys is going to do.
Locust 1E & 3M (++): The Locust equivalent to Flea 17, it has higher sustained speed but no MASC making it easier to hit.
Piranha Cipher (++): Very interesting mix of MGs and mini lasers make this a sub optimal but very flexible mechs.
Piranha A (++): It remains a solid mech but it's lack of meaningful weaponry other than MGs make it relatively useless in the early stages of the battle, towards the end though it is a monster.

These are the best true light mechs in my opinion, then there's the sluggish light mechs, these are slow but pack a lot more weapons but they are played in a very different way and while they are technically light mechs I think they belong to an entirely different category: Kit Fox, Adder, Cougar and Urbanmech.

No Urbie?

DUDE, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:35 AM

Javelin missing 7 medium lasers and the srm bombs are rly nice (stealth possible)
Form the mechs u own I suggest the srm javelin or the flea 17, just because they play quite different.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 07 May 2020 - 02:38 AM.

#9 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:36 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 06 May 2020 - 06:39 PM, said:

It seems that piloting Lights is something I'm good at, so I'd love some recommendations from other Light pilots. I use the Wolfhound Grinner and Incubus 4 right now, and was thinking of buying a Flea or perhaps a Cougar. Trashcan might also be on the books but I'm not sold on its ugliness. Suggestions on a postcard?

I.S.
  • Urbie - The K-9 has a flashing lightbar and a siren... do you need to know more? Fine, tanks like a boss, and can pack a punch, suffers on the speed front but if you're not off wolfpacking/backstabbing you'll be fine.
  • Flea - Speed, speed, speed, speeeeeeeeeeed! These things can be a nightmare to catch if you know how to evade.
  • Osiris - 153kph with Jumpjets, a great harasser that can hit from any angle, but a bigger target, reposition often.
  • Panther - For the PPC lover.
Clan
  • Piranha - Can grind through a mechs rear armour faster than you can laugh. Squishy, avoid streaks.
  • Arctic Cheetah - ECM and Jumpjets make it sneaky, middle of the pack now that the cMPL is no longer broken.
  • KitFox - The Swiss army knife of Clan lights. Carries anything and everything. If knowing the enemy is half the battle these things are half-way to victory.
  • Cougar - MASSIVE LASER VOMIT! Can annihilate small mechs in a single alpha. Also works as a Cheetah/Puma hybrid (JJ + ECM + ATMs/Peeps/AC2's)

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

Thanks fellas, I'm leaning toward the Flea I reckon, the Cougar seems like another, even explodier Incubus with worse mounts. Hmmm.

#11 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 06:19 AM

Get yourself a Piranha its a glass canon but pound for pound most OP mech in the game in hands skill pilot CIPHER

#12 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:22 AM

the PIR is neither OP, nor is the cipher the "best" PIR.
anybody with good aim will show you just how fragile that mech is.

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:30 AM

Oh shoot sorry I did forget to mention the 'Mechs I already own - I have the Cipher and PIR 1. They were excellent but after nerfs not as good as other Lights imo. I also own various Ravens, Jenners, Firestarters and the freebee Javelin. I don't really care for those 'Mechs for various reasons, usually a poor mix of hardpoint positions and hit boxes.

#14 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

I'm a Light pilot by nature. The Flea 20 is a great mech, the Urbie R63 is while tanky and versatile too slow to be a good light (but it's an awesome Medium mech), the Wolfhound Grinner is a great mech if you want a sturdier stealth mech, but honestly, the Pirahna (Cipher specifically) is the best light in my opinion. Yes, it all comes down to your specific playstyle, but pound for pound, the Cipher has no problems punching up if you know how to pilot a light. Not all lights can walk up to an assault and circle it for a solo kill. I walked up to the backside of a fresh Jagermech last night (although I do think he was a new player based on his movements), I unloaded everything on his backside (full compliment of micro and 1 heavy laser, and guns) and he crumpled literally within 3 seconds. Hands down the Pirahna. Plus, honestly, it's a blast to play. Full guns blazing, and with the speed, it's insanely addicting. Yes they can be a paperdoll, but this is where your piloting comes in. I purchased the full line of Pirahna's and mastered them all, but I think in this case the Hero (Cipher) really is the best again imo. For me, it's the best mixture of lasers and machineguns ... and is a blast to play.

Edited by Tashtego89, 07 May 2020 - 08:01 AM.

#15 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:00 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 07 May 2020 - 07:22 AM, said:

the PIR is neither OP, nor is the cipher the "best" PIR.
anybody with good aim will show you just how fragile that mech is.

Never said Pir were best Pir fragile nature balance them but pound for pound there fire power + speed make them highly dead in skilled light pilots hands. Hell I still a fan of this old dumb thing https://mech.nav-alp...#4c9bc2f0_FS9-A

Edited by SirSmokes, 07 May 2020 - 08:08 AM.

#16 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 795 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:28 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 07 May 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

Never said Pir were best Pir fragile nature balance them but pound for pound there fire power + speed make them highly dead in skilled light pilots hands.

You might want to take another look at what you originally wrote:

View PostSirSmokes, on 07 May 2020 - 06:19 AM, said:

Get yourself a Piranha its a glass canon but pound for pound most OP mech in the game in hands skill pilot CIPHER

=> You certainly made claims about a Piranha being OP (the most OP mech even). A claim that TMNU did not support.
=> The lack of proper punctuation in your texts along with some grammar issues and that link to a Cipher-build can indeed lead to the interpretation that the PIR variant with that alleged OP-Ness is indeed the Cipher ... which by implication would also make that PIR variant the "best" version. Another aspect that TMNU did not support.

Edited by Der Geisterbaer, 07 May 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 07 May 2020 - 02:35 AM, said:

Javelin missing 7 medium lasers and the srm bombs are rly nice (stealth possible)
Form the mechs u own I suggest the srm javelin or the flea 17, just because they play quite different.

Curious about the Javelin's hot boxes, how are they compared to other Lights?

#18 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:40 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 07 May 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

You might want to take another look at what you originally wrote:

=> You certainly made claims about a Piranha being OP (the most OP mech even). A claim that TMNU did not support.
=> The lack of proper punctuation in your texts along with some gramer issues and that link to a Cipher-build can indeed lead to the interpretation that the PIR variant with that alleged OP-Ness is indeed the Cipher ... which by implication would also make that PIR variant the "best" version. Another aspect that TMNU did not support.

I should be more clear no mech can fit as many weapons per ton + speed then pir. There for it is very very good. As far as grammar https://www.nessy.co...ngths-dyslexia/ I do my best man

Edited by SirSmokes, 07 May 2020 - 08:42 AM.

#19 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

look, I own the Cipher myself; as any PIR, it is tons of fun to play.
for that reason alone: get it.

it also is a mech that just performs, netting more than a hand full of kills and kmdds, along with damage numbers of a ~1000 EASILY.

here's the thing:
for a light, it is not very "agile" (contrary to say the commando); it's movement is quite forseeable and it doesn't have the massive armor-boni/hitboxes other lights have.
it is literally dead-on-sight.
it needs ONE good pilot with aim and battlefield awareness, and 1 alpha to get you legged, and therefore killed.
heck, there are players with ~better~ aim that core you in 1shot, not even going for the leg but straight CT.
-and you can do very little about it.
once you see such a "problem", chances are he sees you too and off is the leg.

I ran that mech often, and as I said: it performs. just expect there to be matches that are complete, utter trash for you, just because 1 person over there CAN aim.
in that mech, you are very much relying on "no good pilots left in this game"; and you pay in full, when due.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 07 May 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#20 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:16 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 May 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

Curious about the Javelin's hot boxes, how are they compared to other Lights?

in that regard it's closer to the 35t mechs than to the 20t; somebody who hits what he wants on a wolfhound will do the same on the Jav; vice versa ppl who can't hit the hound have the same problems with the Jav.
it is by far easier to deal with as say with a competent locust- or flea-pilot, though.

chances are still you're doing fine with it in QP; just never stand still, and never run cold ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users