Light 'mech Reccomendations?

42 replies to this topic

#21 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:22 AM

I would agree the PIR is not the most agile of mechs. My Flea 20 can run circles around it (probably due to MASC I would imagine), BUT my Flea can't run circles around a Heavy and strip it of every arm before it can get a bead on me. Nor can any of my other lights. It all boils down to your playstyle really, or maybe moreso what you're willing to risk? Not sure.

As far as dead-on-sight, yes there are games when someone gets off a shot you just didn't see coming. Yeah, there are some players with some seriously good aim, and then those with a really lucky shot. That's just life for me I guess. I'm gonna win some I'm gonna really badly lose some. Usually though, minus the random lucky shot, I die in my Cipher because I positioned myself poorly or I'm damaged so much it's better to go guns blazing aiming straight for their noggin, and even then there's been a fair number of times when that many lasers and guns pointed at their head gets us both dead.

Blaze of Glory man!! Posted Image

Edited by Tashtego89, 07 May 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#22 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

View PostTashtego89, on 07 May 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

I would agree the PIR is not the most agile of mechs. My Flea 20 can run circles around it (probably due to MASC I would imagine), BUT my Flea can't run circles around a Heavy and strip it of every arm before it can get a bead on me. Nor can any of my other lights. It all boils down to your playstyle really, or maybe moreso what you're willing to risk? Not sure.

As far as dead-on-sight, yes there are games when someone gets off a shot you just didn't see coming. Yeah, there are some players with some seriously good aim, and then those with a really lucky shot. That's just life for me I guess. I'm gonna win some I'm gonna really badly lose some. Usually though, minus the random lucky shot, I die in my Cipher because I positioned myself poorly or I'm damaged so much it's better to go guns blazing aiming straight for their noggin, and even then there's been a fair number of times when that many lasers and guns pointed at their head gets us both dead.

Blaze of Glory man!! Posted Image

Main thing about Pir is that it can really punish mech that make mistakes. Ci I run if you let me will core so fast it kind funny but yes very much glass canon

#23 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

Urbie is very right about Piranhas, when I see them coming it's almost a relief because it's not a frigging Flea or Commando that just won't die. You can sweep your lasers in the general direction of a Piranha and the heat generated from ionized air particles will sear off at least 3/4 of the 'Mech's armour. They used to spell doom back in the day, I think I had over 2 w/l and 3 kdr on my PIR 1. Not so much anymore. For me the Grinner is sort of the gold standard, it's achieving the same stats as my Piranha did albeit with less games played. Defffinitely thinking about that Flea, don't really need the ECM variant. Perhaps a Vulcan (an honourary Light) is in my immediate future as well.

#24 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 May 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

Urbie is very right about Piranhas, when I see them coming it's almost a relief because it's not a frigging Flea or Commando that just won't die. You can sweep your lasers in the general direction of a Piranha and the heat generated from ionized air particles will sear off at least 3/4 of the 'Mech's armour. They used to spell doom back in the day, I think I had over 2 w/l and 3 kdr on my PIR 1. Not so much anymore. For me the Grinner is sort of the gold standard, it's achieving the same stats as my Piranha did albeit with less games played. Defffinitely thinking about that Flea, don't really need the ECM variant. Perhaps a Vulcan (an honourary Light) is in my immediate future as well.

Flea are just hard to kill in the hands of a skilled pilot. Flea + Masc = hard to freaking hit
PS almost forgot Stealth armor Flea hard to track so also harder to hit

Edited by SirSmokes, 07 May 2020 - 11:43 AM.

#25 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

Javelin hitboxes are good. Quite like wolfhound in thin. It doesn't have the quirks to rly tank, but it offers some serious offense in return.

#26 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 07 May 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

Javelin hitboxes are good. Quite like wolfhound in thin. It doesn't have the quirks to rly tank, but it offers some serious offense in return.

That's not really my experience with them but I will admit I have played them very little.

#27 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 07 May 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yeah I really like the javelin with the 7 medium lasers really fun to play(I think it is my favourite tied with the deaths knell)

#28 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

The mlas hsl +1 is a neat quirk.

#29 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

If it's not an Urbie K9 is it really a light? The meta 5 MPL build is not a super unique gameplay style, but it is consistent and effective. Plus it is a bit less reflex dependant than trying to be good in a FLE or PIR.

#30 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:35 PM

il give you a hint, it looks like a trash can.

View Postcrazytimes, on 07 May 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

If it's not an Urbie K9 is it really a light? The meta 5 MPL build is not a super unique gameplay style, but it is consistent and effective. Plus it is a bit less reflex dependant than trying to be good in a FLE or PIR.

been using the street cleaner as a fast hppc build.

slow well armed lights (pocket mediums?) might as well be a different class than fast hit and run lights. they play completely different. theres a lot of line blurring in the 30-40 ton bracket, but everything below that seems to be the twitch type. can haz protomechs/ultralights/etc?

Edited by LordNothing, 07 May 2020 - 04:40 PM.

#31 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 06:05 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 07 May 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'd say I'm driving the Flea now, but really it's more like flying. It's a rather survivable 'Mech because nothing you are juking around can hit you. It's perfectly possible to get wacked by someone you didn't see though, or several opponents sweeping your legs with lasers. But ballistics and missiles you can count the cooldown on and MASC to a stop right before your opponent shoots. This little guy is outstanding!

#32 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 May 2020 - 06:05 PM, said:

I'd say I'm driving the Flea now, but really it's more like flying. It's a rather survivable 'Mech because nothing you are juking around can hit you. It's perfectly possible to get wacked by someone you didn't see though, or several opponents sweeping your legs with lasers. But ballistics and missiles you can count the cooldown on and MASC to a stop right before your opponent shoots. This little guy is outstanding!

love AND HATE that thing .. ;)

#33 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:41 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 07 May 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

love AND HATE that thing .. Posted Image

SSRM will make them go away fast but very niche weapons

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:53 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 08 May 2020 - 04:41 AM, said:

The only thing scarier than the little flitting TAG is the Streak itself. I haven't been instantaneously deleted yet but it's only a matter of time before the Pakhet Bailiffs find me.

#35 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:00 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 08 May 2020 - 04:53 AM, said:

The only thing scarier than the little flitting TAG is the Streak itself. I haven't been instantaneously deleted yet but it's only a matter of time before the Pakhet Bailiffs find me.

That kind there niche role there pretty much a hard counters to lightly armored mechs

#36 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:01 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 08 May 2020 - 05:00 AM, said:

That kind there niche role there pretty much a hard counters to lightly armored mechs

It's actually brilliant for MS too, Light hunting gets you plenty of component destruction and AMS won't often be a problem since most Lights won't be under a bubble. I got 3/5 of my 500 ms games with an er-small laser / streak 6 boat Pakhet when the La Malinche was up for grabs.

#37 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:21 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 08 May 2020 - 04:41 AM, said:

they do that, yeah. but like lurms, streaks are just too plain boring (sorry, imo. ymmv).
if I wanna play "pull the circle over the rectangle to win", I'd play solitair instead.
way more exciting (then again: so is collecting stamps).

you can totally kill a flea with direct-fire, and it is a FAR more satisfying kill than the above.

#38 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:28 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 08 May 2020 - 07:21 AM, said:

they do that, yeah. but like lurms, streaks are just too plain boring (sorry, imo. ymmv).
if I wanna play "pull the circle over the rectangle to win", I'd play solitair instead.
way more exciting (then again: so is collecting stamps).

you can totally kill a flea with direct-fire, and it is a FAR more satisfying kill than the above.

SSRM I find few reason to take them over normal SRMs yes very niche weapons yes

Edited by SirSmokes, 08 May 2020 - 07:28 AM.

#39 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

it's not niche in QP, and a quite good wave4-choice in FW; it's not very niche there.
streakboats where a REAL thing in scouting, with many advantages and few disadvantages;

they perform well, do high damage numbers, kill lights reliably - what's not to like?
-other than, as already mentioned, boring as f*ck with less then zero skill or joy involved.
we play to have fun, right?

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 08 May 2020 - 07:35 AM.

#40 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 08 May 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

it's not niche in QP, and a quite good wave4-choice in FW; it's not very niche there.
streakboats where a REAL thing in scouting, with many advantages and few disadvantages;

they perform well, do high damage numbers, kill lights reliably - what's not to like?
-other than, as already mentioned, boring as f*ck with less then zero skill or joy involved.
we play to have fun, right?

My problem is extra weight vs can't be aimed.SSRM spread damage SRM can be aimed.were they need to go so heavy and can't be aimed = niche. VS target with more armor SSRM start to really lose there effectiveness VS SRM that can be aimed were the damage is needed

Edited by SirSmokes, 08 May 2020 - 07:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users