Upgrades, How To Minimise Cost?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:09 AM

Hi guys, I was wondering how to minimize cost with the different Upgrades?

I was surprised when I switch from Artemis to Standard Missile Guidance it costs C-bills.

Just wondering for most players how do You handle the Costs of Changing the Different Upgrades?

Its quite expensive to keep changing upgrades but I really like having a lot of different Builds.

#2 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:26 AM

Missiles with or without artemis are seperate weapon systems, once you bought it, you own it.
The only thing that seems to cost everytime is changing armor type.

Edited by Sergeant Destroy, 08 May 2020 - 08:31 AM.

#3 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:28 AM

Welcome to the realm of the space poor, there is no way to really mitigate costs unless you sell stuff you take off and even then you'll just end up buying it again later on.

#4 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:57 AM

@Sergeant Destroy, For me currently when I change any Upgrades including Missile Guidance it will cost C-bills even if I was downgrading from Artemis to Standard Missile Guidance. Are you saying your game works differently from Mine?

@Hawker Siddeley, I think it would be great if they make it such that you only need to buy one type of Upgrade and you keep it forever..., Currently once you have saved your config, changing it again Costs C-bills. For me I like different builds for IS Mechs and this makes it high cost to keep changing Builds if different Upgrades are Involved.

#5 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

Hmm, seems youre right..

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

The only things you own are the weapons, engines and equipment like DHS, Targeting Computers, etc., Armour, Structure, missile guidance systems (Artemis or regular) or heat sink upgrades aren't a one-time purchase. The only way to cover the cost is by playing more. PGI logic.

#7 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:26 AM

To minimize costs from mechlabbing make sure you are relatively happy with a build before you build it. When I first started I fiddled with mech builds quite a bit, which cost me unnecessarily Websites like grimmechs can help you identify good builds, as can checking with strong players around the community. You can also test a build in the training grounds before paying for it, but just keep in kind that those targets don't move or shoot back, so it's not a great indicator.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

View PostReposter, on 08 May 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi guys, I was wondering how to minimize cost with the different Upgrades?

I was surprised when I switch from Artemis to Standard Missile Guidance it costs C-bills.

Just wondering for most players how do You handle the Costs of Changing the Different Upgrades?

Its quite expensive to keep changing upgrades but I really like having a lot of different Builds.

If you like several builds on the same chassis, farm C-bills to buy more copies of that chassis and put a different build on each. Over time, it will be less expensive than switching back and forth.

#9 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

If you play IS the best way to save space money is to get an engine that works for most if not all your mechs and engine swap. Also uncheck auto fill or don't use consumables since they take 40,000 a shot. The more you can use an engine say lfe 280 and xl 280 the less times you have to shell out for the same engine. NEVER sell a mech once you put in the initial 91 skill points. You'll lose all the xp,skills etc on it unless that mech is total garbage for you.

#10 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

Think in advance what type of mech you are going to arm and stick to that build. (of course if the build doesn't work that good, you'll have to change it) Take your time to compare quirks and choose carefully. Once I upgrade a missile guidance to Artemis I rarely or never switch it back. I even prefer to buy a new mech of the same type if I'm going to build it with or without Artemis. Some mechs bring it already, others don't.

You may change the build and save the configuration to try other weapons, engines or armor, distribution, but changing the missile guidance system more than once, on the long run, is a waste.

C-bills are always handy, given how the game is, so it's good to take advantage of events, sales and premium times.

#11 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:17 PM

The way to minimize cost is quite easy, and complicated...

1: Don't sell weapons...
2: Don't sell equipment...
3: Don't sell chasis...
4: Don't sell Omni Pods...
5: Own multiples of the same mech with different variations, example Mad Cat MCII-4 1 with all the armor features, and 1 without any for more slots for missile boating.

On a side note: I have broken rules, 1,2, and 4 turned arround and bought new mechs...

#12 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:31 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 08 May 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

to get an engine that works for most if not all your mechs and engine swap. Also uncheck auto fill or don't use consumables since they take 40,000 a shot.
TBH, this is the way to get farmed by the farmers in QP. Min-maxing really give you an edge when both sides are on similar skills level. The consumables are even more OP, you don't have, and your opponent have, that is a big different in competitive play. The consumables weight nothing, so they are "free" upgrade as long as your wallet allows. Even you are good, noticed the smoke of air-strike in advance, the air-strike can still deny you from holding a favorable spot, and may give your opponent chances of free shots when you and your teammates try to get out of the radius of bombardment.

I know some will disagree, but i am of the opinion that the game design is grind or pay to win to a certain extent.

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:24 AM

Don't avoid consumables, be judicious in their use. First learn to fight without depending on them, sure, but once you start using them you should treat them as an emergency button rather than something you should just spam whenever.

View Postingramli, on 09 May 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

I know some will disagree, but i am of the opinion that the game design is grind or pay to win to a certain extent.
I will disagree.

See, I've actually ran a completely free-to-play alt account (Horseman IIC) since late 2018. It's 30 million imaginary spacebucks in the black (to be around 50 million once I'm done with the current event).

This is with running double coolshots on pretty much everything and double strikes more often than not, and despite donating somewhere around fifty million C-Bills to unit coffers over that time (36.5M to the current unit, but we had one before this that was shuttered when PGI changed FP and rendering "dedicated" clan accounts moot) and dumping an estimated 5K MC on colors, decals and one-shot camo patterns.

52 mechs. Admittedly, four were from PGI's promos - the nova, quarantine, broadside and bludgeon - and I think six or so were event rewards. Discounting the mechbays and the Cinder, Purifier, Deathstrike, Virago and Scorch bought with event MC, we're still at a net positive substantial enough to get 37 mechs with C-Bills alone with what I think is fairly light use.

Edited by Horseman, 09 May 2020 - 01:29 AM.

#14 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:58 AM

Speaking of consumables, take advantage of the sales to stock up on them. I just bought a bunch of coolshots for 50% off.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#15 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

View PostHorseman, on 09 May 2020 - 01:24 AM, said:

I've actually ran a completely free-to-play alt account (Horseman IIC) since late 2018. It's 30 million imaginary spacebucks in the black (to be around 50 million once I'm done with the current event).

There is no way for new and casual players (say 10 games or so a month, play for a year or less) to have 30M C-Bills in their
account. I know you are an active players, but many are not. I am merely saying the game does not favor casual "free" players.

#16 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:18 AM

As far as consumables are concerned, there are a must have to earning C-Bills... They rack up points in there use, if used appropiatly... Yes, I have gotten killing blows, and even KMDD's with arty's and air strikes, and lots and lots of detection on UAV's. Coolshots, allow you to keep shooting longer, hence more damage done, hence more c-bills earned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users