#1 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:10 AM

100% Radar Derp

I'm not complaining about the derp itself but if a player builds their mech for Target Decay Duration providing a 100% counter for their investment is unfair. I understand it takes 5 more nodes for maximum derp vs. maximum durr but that's not a valid excuse. Imagine you could pick up full immunity to enemy strikes via 10 nodes (and yes, I understand that's a silly concept).

I'd suggest dropping each node to 15% for a maximum reduction of 75%. I'd even accept 19/95% as a token gesture in recognition of the issue.

/vent.

#2 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:18 AM

100% radar dep should come standard. Why should anyone have to cop 120 points of LRM for another solid minute after they find cover.

#3 S t P a u l y

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:24 AM

OK Lurmer

#4 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWhy are we here? Just to suffer?

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:25 AM

100% Radar Derp OP? Have you tried aiming?
It should be like this by default, not this magical tracking beyond LoS bulls#!t.
Target Decay should not have existed in the first place.
It actually takes 9 skill points to counter 60% of existing Target Decay (without any skill assigned) so, no, you're wrong, it's the other way around.

I'd suggest making 60% Radar Derp the default then, say, 5 nodes to make it 100%. I'd even accept 50% default to 5 nodes for 100% as a token gesture in recognition of the issue.

Edited by YouKnowNothing, 10 May 2020 - 06:30 AM.

#5 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:26 AM

View Postjjm1, on 10 May 2020 - 06:18 AM, said:

100% radar dep should come standard. Why should anyone have to cop 120 points of LRM for another solid minute after they find cover.

Yes, because if there's one thing the Spider-5V does well, it's lurms...

#6 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:28 AM

Yes, it's not fair, and it has gotten worse since PGI made it harder to aim for locks. Why do I have to aim with a support weapon anyway?

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:38 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 10 May 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

100% Radar Derp OP? Have you tried aiming?
It should be like this by default, not this magical tracking beyond LoS bulls#!t.
Target Decay should not have existed in the first place.
It actually takes 9 skill points to counter 60% of existing Target Decay (without any skill assigned) so, no, you're wrong, it's the other way around.

I'd suggest making 60% Radar Derp the default then, say, 5 nodes to make it 100%. I'd even accept 50% default to 5 nodes for 100% as a token gesture in recognition of the issue.

If you have a problem with base value with decay that's fine, a nerf can be looked at, I'm not actually averse to target decay requiring an initial investment to take effect. As long as we don't start going down the slippery slope of "nothing for free".

I can understand your complaints about magical LOS. But we also have flamers that magically stop heating the target at 90%.

#8 Grumpy Old Man

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought Radar Deprivation only comes into play after people have reached cover. If you cannot see them, you do not know where they are. The Battletech setting makes a big point out of the fact that these people have lost a lot of technology over the years... So it does not really break my suspension of disbelief for this mechanic that it works like this...

And if you are talking about flamer and realism, if we go the route from the Novels where being flamed is essentially a death sentence, that also means that the Mech with the flamers will blow up the second someone farts strongly in the direction of their flamer fuel. :)

#9 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:51 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 10 May 2020 - 06:38 AM, said:

If you have a problem with base value with decay that's fine, a nerf can be looked at, I'm not actually averse to target decay requiring an initial investment to take effect. As long as we don't start going down the slippery slope of "nothing for free".

But... but... you already get 2.5 seconds of targeting beyond LoS for free. We need 9 nodes to cut that down to 1s. How is that fair in any way, shape or form?

Edited by YouKnowNothing, 10 May 2020 - 06:52 AM.

#10 -P U R E-

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 71 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

Why not add lock-on before spotting?

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 10 May 2020 - 06:51 AM, said:

But... but... you already get 2.5 seconds of targeting beyond LoS for free.

As I said, I'm not adverse to nerfing/removing that free TDD.

#12 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:33 AM

Stupid things in this game.

120° radar. Remember all those WWII and Cold War movies? The ones with the green, glowing ROUND radar screens. They had round radar, round radar! 360° search radar. 70 years ago. Lost tech I guess.

Guns guaranteed to jam, by design apparently. I guess the P-39 Air Cobra lives on in spirit.

Light machine guns have more range than heavy machine guns. This one makes me crazy. I have visions on great big, heavy bullets in little bitty cases and LMG ammo that looks like it was designed by Roy Weatherby.

#13 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:44 AM

What issue? I've got 250 of the archie sonic comics and a few random x-men. If you want the four part death egg saga or one of the 48 page super sonic specials that'll cost you. I have a dave sim tod mcfarlane cross over issue some where too.

#14 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 10 May 2020 - 07:18 AM, said:

As I said, I'm not adverse to nerfing/removing that free TDD.

Well, now you've confused me. Utterly confused, am I. What was the point of your post then?

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 10 May 2020 - 07:47 AM, said:

Well, now you've confused me. Utterly confused, am I. What was the point of your post then?

My issue is Derp providing a 100% counter to Durr.

I'd like to see a cap on the maximum Derp so that people who invest in Durr (using nodes and quirks) aren't completely negated.

---

You take issue with free Durr.

I have no problem with losing the free Durr if it means we get that cap on the Derp.

#16 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

Actually, I take issue with Target Decay being a gameplay mechanic, like, at all, free or locked behind skill points. Full Radar Deprivation should be the normal, not locked behind the skill tree, and magic tracking outside line of sight should not exist AT ALL.

Edited by YouKnowNothing, 10 May 2020 - 08:12 AM.

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:20 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 10 May 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Actually, I take issue with Target Decay being a gameplay mechanic, like, at all, free or locked behind skill points. Full Radar Deprivation should be the normal, not locked behind the skill tree, and magic tracking outside line of sight should not exist AT ALL.

Fair enough. Do you feel the same way about teammates outside of LOS. Should we lose their radar pips, and scarp the shared targeting info?

Again, I have no issue with this as long as we apply all these things in a uniform manner and not selectively. Might be a bit too hardcore-sim for some though.

#18 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:24 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 10 May 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Actually, I take issue with Target Decay being a gameplay mechanic, like, at all

Ecactly! Why do targets decay at all in a sci fi setting when fire&forget exists today?

#19 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:29 AM

Why aiming is a thing? I want to faceplant my keyboard and win. Remove all weapons but lockons plz PGi kthnx

#20 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:31 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 10 May 2020 - 08:20 AM, said:

Fair enough. Do you feel the same way about teammates outside of LOS. Should we lose their radar pips, and scarp the shared targeting info?

Again, I have no issue with this as long as we apply all these things in a uniform manner and not selectively. Might be a bit too hardcore-sim for some though.

I'd say I'm fine with shared targeting info as long as there is no tracking if no one has LoS on an enemy. Applying things uniformly, as you say, would mean both things canceling out. As it is, we still need 16 nodes in Radar Deprivation to cancel out what is basically free Target Decay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users