#1 Harper Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 200 posts
  • Locationwashington state

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

Hail members of the MWO community
I have not played here in several months the RPTG, Raptor Talon Galaxy has moved to playing Elite Dangerous. I am curious if any other MWO players or units are playing Elite Dangerous. so I am reaching out to see if there's any other elite dangerous commanders out there. And It is really cool to still see the MWO community alive and so many people playing MWO.
RPTG, Jade Falcone
Star commander Harpersteel

#2 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

I’ve played elite dangerous for over 900 hours. It’s boring AF. Fully engineered vessels and still boring AF. Mine mine mine all day low temperature diamonds to save up for these new fleet carriers. You’ll come running back here shortly.

#3 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:31 PM

I was a beta backer and played it a lot, mainly in PvP up until the great big exploration update. I still do occasionally, but everything they added after launch was poorly implemented and their current carriers feature is a monsterous mess. I could go on at length (I have on the ED forums) so the tl;dr is that that game had some serious potential to tell some interesting stories, and to have all sorts of mysteries out in the black to be found. Instead we got slot machine lottery grind and a "story mode" implemented via Thursday downtime database updates. It's a real shame.

Edited by RickySpanish, 10 May 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#4 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

View PostHarper Steel, on 10 May 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hail members of the MWO community
I have not played here in several months the RPTG, Raptor Talon Galaxy has moved to playing Elite Dangerous. I am curious if any other MWO players or units are playing Elite Dangerous. so I am reaching out to see if there's any other elite dangerous commanders out there. And It is really cool to still see the MWO community alive and so many people playing MWO.
RPTG, Jade Falcone
Star commander Harpersteel

"When I'm not trying to snipe players out of your unit, I'm trying to bring them into other games. Da Meme Dream".

Seriously, go away.

#5 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:24 PM

I cannot get past even the tutorials. I have to spend some time to retrain my muscle impulses for the controls --- I am using a PS4 on this --- but I decided to give it up and stick to the games I already have.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:29 PM

I have not played ED but I am considering it

along with the air to air combat of DCS

how much money does it cost to get into ED?

it would cost me close to $400 to get into DCS even with the big sale going on
so I am on the fence about things

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

I backed it but i havent played more than 5 Hours.

I hate the controls via Keyboard/Mouse as well as via X-Box Controller and i never bought the Joystick, Throttle, Pedals Setup i would need to have fun with Elite bcs i always had more urgent things to spend money on.

I am aware it is one of the few games that is a good VR game but i have never considered spending Money for VR either as for the forseeable future i dont see any other use for it and can not justify the spending.

To me its a game that lives from ist Immersion and not form its Action. that is not a Problem for me at all as i feel in the right setup it is highly immersive.

Edited by Thorqemada, 10 May 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

i think i played for an hour, rage quit, and then never played it again. id rather go play ffe.

View PostDavegt27, on 10 May 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

i think ed is just a one time payment. i got mine on a black friday sale for $15. dlc is extra of course, and you need it if you want to land on planets. i do think there are microtransactions though. i was not impressed enough with the base game to buy all the bells and whistles though. i mean it looks good and the combat is good, but it takes so much grind to upgrade your ship (all but og elite had this problem). i dont like games that feel like work.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 May 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#9 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Just the cost of the game plus Horizons expansion which adds landings on planets without atmospheres, the microtransactions are cosmetic only. You will want a joystick and throttle to play it with any reasonable degree of accuracy. Keep in mind however, that the game is crap.

Edited by RickySpanish, 10 May 2020 - 05:04 PM.

#10 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 May 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

i think i played for an hour, rage quit, and then never played it again. id rather go play ffe.

i think ed is just a one time payment. i got mine on a black friday sale for $15. dlc is extra of course, and you need it if you want to land on planets. i do think there are microtransactions though. i was not impressed enough with the base game to buy all the bells and whistles though. i mean it looks good and the combat is good, but it takes so much grind to upgrade your ship (all but og elite had this problem). i dont like games that feel like work.

do you mean you played DCS for 1 hour and rage quit?
if so that what I was afraid of
after all real fighter pilots train for years to get good
so you want realistic but not to realistic

Edited by Davegt27, 10 May 2020 - 05:42 PM.

#11 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:10 PM

I was playing before this and couldn't stand it anymore. I was trying to be an explorer but got tired of it. Can't even get in the game more than a few minutes without just stopping. It's designed on too much grind. They have a really bad concept in the game of KISS to it's natural extremity. Which in a game means the games dynamics are to low and boring. This when the game was proposed to be the opposite. There are literally parts of the 1984 game that was more complex like the missions. Stuff they could actually implement given the post horizon stuff at this point.

#12 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

I've put a couple hundred hours into it over the years. Many have described it as: "a mile wide and an inch deep".

I've found that description accurate. Haven't played in quite a while, probably won't unless there are some new loops or major content.

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:03 PM

MWO

DCS

#14 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

Commander Bobdolemite here, currently grinding cash for the carrier release. BTW if you havent tried Voiceattack and HCSVoicepacks along with Elite Dangerous your missing out. I play mostly on Mobius PVE but also in Open on occasion. Been looking into thargoid hunting (if its still possible) engineered Krait xeno hunter armed to the teeth. I have all the "toys" but not a lot of reasons to play other than grinding at the moment, I will look for you guys in game, 07 and fly dangerous.

#15 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:41 PM

According to Steam I have 2h playtime in Elite.

I've been meaning to give it more of a chance to grab me... but MWO hasn't been taken out back and shot yet, and I still lovehate it.

#16 Moochachoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:48 PM

Oh I do.

The grind is brutal though, traveled to and from Colonia and the bubble in my unengineered Diamondback explorer, went the long route and landed in every civilised station on the way, took ages and once I got to Colonia there was nothing to do.

They are going to add player carriers soon, I hope you prepared your butt to grind the credits to buy it and pay for its upkeep.

i might get back to it again if they ever add space legs, might even engineer my anaconda and visit Sagittarius A* next time.

#17 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:32 AM

Looks like this thread was posted in the wrong section, so I've moved it to https://mwomercs.com...ic-discussions/

#18 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:14 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 May 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

MWO

If only PGI loved their own game like the players do....

#19 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:04 PM

50 €uros for the Game with Expansion at regular price, but there are plenty of sales with up to 75% reduction.
Next update will be in June, expect a sale then.

plus maybe 190 - 210 €uros for a HOTAS & 180 €uros for Track IR, 10 €uros for Voice Command...
Elite Dangerous works very well with all those stuff, but you can it also play with mouse & keyboard or X-Box / PS Controller.

I played Elite Dangerous for almost 2 years, and was not bored at all, but i'm not the grinder that needs to rush to get the next ship...
It's a simulation and learning to fly the different ships is IMHO the main point of it.

Most players expected some kind of "GTA in Space" with other things to do than flying a space ship with direct controls from cockpit view.
But that is that Elite Dangerous is all about. Like driving a car around in circles in a racing game.
Have never read a complain that Project Cars is boring because you only drive around on a race track and the game needs the hookers and crimes of GTA online to became a good game...

It's not very good for PvP because the size of the Galaxy: in most System you won't meet any other player.
And if you do, in most cases this player will fly a ship not dedicated to combat, making balanced PvP more or less impossible without going to a hot spot system of player activity with ongoing war.
(Best to find via websites like INARA https://inara.cz/galaxy/ )
It has a balanced PvP multiplayer with fighter class ships called Arena with tier system, but that is outside of the persistent universe.
That's one of the few point's i would like to have: to spawn for a faction in a war zone in a ship with a class and level bases fixed loadout to go fast to "real world" PvP against other players with the same load outs.

It's not EvE online either, so if your main point of a space sim is being a manager, running a bussiness in space manufacturing stuff or being a politican and planning large scale conquest of star systems via aliances with other players: that's no game for you.

Edited by Alreech, 12 May 2020 - 10:17 AM.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 10 May 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

do you mean you played DCS for 1 hour and rage quit?
if so that what I was afraid of
after all real fighter pilots train for years to get good
so you want realistic but not to realistic

no i was talking elite dangerous. i dont think ive played any of the dcs games, i sort of lost interest in flight sims over the last decade or so (and it probably had something to do with kerbal space program which is realism made fun as hell). last one i bought was lomac, and i think i played it for a week and just got bored. i think my favorite ones were ww2 sims as you actually get good dogfights rather than bvr fights with missiles. i dont think being a modern fighter pilot is as cool as top gun makes it out to be (and considering the tech has only increased since that movie came out).

i think the forum software merged my posts together which threw it out of context. they were meant as separate posts.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 May 2020 - 05:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users