- - - - -

Haven't Played Mwo Since 2014, Have Some Questions.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Wancake

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:18 AM

(Disclaimer: I'm still looking through any and all tutorial content in the forums so sorry if some of my questions are already covered in those posts. I'm still going through all of that and thought it'd be a good idea to leave this here while exploring the forums.)

Ok I started playing MWO(on a different account/profile) during the beta testing phase about a month after the devs removed the ability to bump into smaller mechs and knocking them down.

I played MWO for a little while, custom built a pc for the game, and have been piloting mechs since I was 13, so I've been a MW fan since MW4 Vengeance/Mercenaries/Black Knight expansion/MechWarriorLeagues days. I was a member of a few teams during the MWL days and even played a lot of Mech Warrior Living Legends.

I had a lot of things come up in my personal life in the beginning of 2014 and had to move, sell a lot of stuff including my gaming PC due to moving to a different town to work for Caterpillar as a robotic welder. So around april of 2014 I ended up not playing MWO again all the way until last week.

I've been away from MWO for so long that I forgot my username/password and had to start from scratch, which means I no longer have my founder account and had to create a new one. I don't want to say what my pilot name was because I was in my 20's and I'm in my 30's now and a I'm a bit more mature and want to develop a more mature reputation.

However this game has changed so much since I last played it that I'm having a hard time figuring out certain things about the game so I'll leave my questions here:

1. Last night around 3:am, the MWO client was having a hard time finding matches when I click on "quick play" button. Is it because there isn't many people playing MWO anymore, or is it because most players are doing the other play options?

2. Faction Play: For those who remember playing MechAssault2, there was an online multiplayer mode called conquest which was a really cool concept but it never took off because there were never enough players to actually organize and do that. So is faction play in MWO, basically a second attempt at that game mode? And since I'm pugging it out(for now) I keep getting these popup windows on the bottom right saying "reenforcements needed". Is that part of the faction play?

3. In the mech lab, I was able to figure out the basics of customizing my mechs and figured out how to shop for parts and I was wanting to get a rotary cannon for my madcat mkII but that weapon wasn't available...in fact there were lots of weapons not available that I know this game has. Does this mean I can't mix IS and Clan tech on a mech like I could in MW4 Mercs? If so, does that mean that when I choose a career path eventually that if I go inner sphere I can't use clan mechs/tech and if I choose a clan faction that I can't use inner sphere mechs/tech?

4. What are these things pointed out in the screenshot below?
Posted Image
twenty game online

5. Skill Trees:
I've managed to figure out how to use the skill trees, and I've figured out that each mech has it's own skill trees that you can work out. Lots of folk on youtube complain about it but I actually like it. It makes a lot of sense to me. My question is, can I(over time) unlock every single skill node on one single mech, or is there a limit to how many nodes I can unlock?

6. I have an occasional FPS(frames per second issue).
My FPS rates tends to stutter right when I'm coming out of a drop ship and a few times randomly throughout any given match but it's barely noticable and doesn't ruin the game for me. I have EVERY possible graphics setting maxed out.

My PC build is a follows:
-27 inch 1080p LED monitor 144Hz, monitor
-CPU: i78700k
-GPU: ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti CERBERUS-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
-RAM: 32GB ddr5
-C Drive is an M.2 drive
-also have a 5tb HDD

MWO is currently on my 5tb HDD but this week I plan on uninstalling the game and reinstalling it onto my M.2 drive to see if that will help with loading time.

Is there something I need to upgrade to get rid of FPS stuttering, or is this because the graphics engine isn't exactly new anymore? If memory serves, MWO is using cryengine3, right?

Edited by Lord Wancake, 11 May 2020 - 10:23 AM.

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

1. Oceanic servers have low population. If you search NA+EU, games should come in a few minutes.

2. Yes. You need 4 mechs for either IS or Clan to participate.

3. You can't mix tech. Your choise on what side you play for in Faction Play can be changed on a whim and doesn't really affect your choises outside of individual FP matches.

4. Ominopods. On clan OmniMechs you can mix and match pods from different variants using the last tab in the mechlab. This lets you find optimal combinations of hardpoints for a given loadout.

5. 92 points per mech maximum.

6. https://pastebin.com/xDwgXfD6 may help with that. MWO is a very CPU-heavy game since it was made when GPUs were relatively weak compared to what they are now.

#3 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:00 PM

1. In short: yes
Timezone and usedtonnage matter

2. Faction play is a new mode. Never played old mw multiplayer so can't compare.
Better start this with more experience or with a group. Otherwise this thread will take 60 pages and your xp will be bad.

3. No mixed tech. Qp u can play both mech no matter your faction. Fp only corresponding mechs, but no penalty to switch sides.
Don't buy heroes if u are not rly sure. Some are not rly useful. All are expensive.

4. Are the omnipods
On clan u can change to change the quirks or weapon slots.

5. 91 nodes only active. U can unlock more, but only ever use 91 ( so try not to unlock more).

6. Should be rly fine. Yes its cryengine. Since many thinks are server sided and engine is meh frame drops can happen.
Ssd, helps to reduce starting time. Loading time is more server side. Mm has nothing to do with loading time, but population low.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:30 PM

You might want to contact support. They can help you to restore your old account. You can even change the name to something more mature. First time change is for free.

#5 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:34 PM

welcome back!

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 11 May 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

You might want to contact support. They can help you to restore your old account. You can even change the name to something more mature. First time change is for free.

This, and your username is actually the email address utilized at the time. Now if you do not have that email address, definitely contact support so you can check to see which account is setup the best with funds/etc.

As for stuttering, it could be a variety of things.
1. Power Options, set to High Performance - prevents core parking and a variety of other items.
2. Nvidia UI - Power management mode. Two options, setup a profile for MWO or set overall from adaptive to Max Performance.
3. Lock down FPS, either via Nvidia panel or a custom user.cfg (txt file) and add the following command sys_MaxFPS = 60 . You can set to 70, etc but no reason for it to FPS to ramp up to 150-200 FPS then lose 50% or more during heavy action, from power consumption to heat buildup.

#7 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:39 AM

View PostLord Wancake, on 11 May 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

Is there something I need to upgrade to get rid of FPS stuttering, or is this because the graphics engine isn't exactly new anymore? If memory serves, MWO is using cryengine3, right?

DXVK resolves stuttering for some GPU's, so I recommend you try it. Helped me with 1066. Also boosts fps abit.
https://github.com/d...n/dxvk/releases
Basically ctrl+c-> ctrl+v in bin folder.
You may also try https://mwomercs.com...de-and-usercfg/ .

#8 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 May 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

This, and your username is actually the email address utilized at the time. Now if you do not have that email address, definitely contact support so you can check to see which account is setup the best with funds/etc.

As for stuttering, it could be a variety of things.
1. Power Options, set to High Performance - prevents core parking and a variety of other items.
2. Nvidia UI - Power management mode. Two options, setup a profile for MWO or set overall from adaptive to Max Performance.
3. Lock down FPS, either via Nvidia panel or a custom user.cfg (txt file) and add the following command sys_MaxFPS = 60 . You can set to 70, etc but no reason for it to FPS to ramp up to 150-200 FPS then lose 50% or more during heavy action, from power consumption to heat buildup.

Hey this is Lord Wancake, I contacted customer support like you said and guess what? I GOT MY ORIGINAL FOUNDER ACCOUNT BACK!!!!! This is my original account that I beta tested the game with! I still have all my mechs! WOOT! I'll take some time to decide if I keep this pilot name or change it to Lord Wancake or something. Thank you!

I have some questions now that I've explored the game a bit using this original account of mine:

1. Can I change my email that's attached to this account?

2. What's going on with the "invalid" label in some of my mechs here that I haven't touched since 2014?
Posted Image

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

1. Yes, you can change your email address, which will then change your log in. https://mwomercs.com/profile and you will see next to the current email address a link to change the email address. Mind you, you cannot have two accounts with the same email address.

2. That was 6 years ago, and PGI may have made some changes to the mechs, or the equipment, or equipment location requirement. You would need to access each one. If you can not find the issue from looking, there is a Strip mech button which will pop up another box to check equipment, armor, consumables, cockpit items.

3. And nothing wrong with running two accounts. Some do it for Clan vs IS (primarily CW/FP), others do it because the Tier/PSR is PGI fraked up.. too much upward movement with minimum requirements. My main is Tier 1 forever and a day, my alt, 3 years old and 600 games is currently mid Tier 2. There is a slight difference in gameplay, plus on the Alt I have yet to spend any RL funds on it. And a majority of my unit and others I would drop with have left the game so there is no real pressure to play main, which I am differently not Tier 1 material, but Tiers are more of an experience bar, not even close to being a Pilot Skill Rating.

Again, welcome back!!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 May 2020 - 03:27 PM.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostBurned_Follower, on 12 May 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

2. What's going on with the "invalid" label in some of my mechs here that I haven't touched since 2014?
Posted Image

This indicates that there's a loadout violation on that mech. As Tarl said, try stripping and rebuilding it.

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:55 PM

View PostHorseman, on 13 May 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

This indicates that there's a loadout violation on that mech. As Tarl said, try stripping and rebuilding it.

Most likely the changes to armour distribution that hit Griffin, Jenner, Jagermech afaik.

#12 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

There's a red "!" towards the top left when in mechlab, that usually tells you what the violation is. (it'll be yellow if its run-able, but has issues like ghost heat or unusable ammo).
Something changed over time, putting you over slots or tons, probably. But it looks the same as when you don't have an engine and the mech can't be ran.

I don't remember if the old system let you go over weight, or simply wouldn't let you change a certain option... but the new one will. EG, you can take away your FF armor and it'll be listed as over weight, and invalid. I THINK before it simply wouldn't let you remove the FF. Same with Tonnage or Slots.

Also... there's lots of new varieties of weapons, so start rebuilding and see what you end up with.
E.G. Maybe snub-nose ppc is better for you than er-ppc.
Or some newer variation of the A/C or machine guns.
Or MRM vs LRMs

Edited by chevy42083, 01 July 2020 - 12:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users