Nothing To See Here

21 replies to this topic

#1 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

Posted Image

I thought something felt off about the match.

#2 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:01 PM

ok

#3 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:10 PM

ok

#4 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:01 PM

In the last two weeks? Not unusual at all.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

More like ko.

#6 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 12 May 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks like a case where the matchmaker was able to put 24 players into a match with 12 on each side. Working as intended.

#7 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

Wish I had a screen shot of the 5 Stalker match right after this debacle started. One team, one unit with 4 Stalker 5s, one unaffiliated player with a different variant.

#8 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:08 AM

3%

#9 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:14 AM

3%

#10 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,982 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

Quality work...

At least I know now why there are so many rolls.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 13 May 2020 - 08:11 AM.

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 12 May 2020 - 08:01 PM, said:

In the last two weeks? Not unusual at all.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

I don't see anything that is related to the queue merge, actually. There's plenty of older threads about how the matchmaker regularly fails to distribute skill-levels equally onto both teams.
I see some weight-class disparity, ok, I'll give you that. But weight class is not a major factor for match performance.
Do we really need another topic about how flawed PSR is in the long run?

#12 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:18 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 13 May 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

I don't see anything that is related to the queue merge, actually. There's plenty of older threads about how the matchmaker regularly fails to distribute skill-levels equally onto both teams.
I see some weight-class disparity, ok, I'll give you that. But weight class is not a major factor for match performance.
Do we really need another topic about how flawed PSR is in the long run?

No, guess we dont need another thread about how PGI has handled things. But then the pic only shows that the MM is using only tiers, and the Jarls rankings means squat since the MM is not using Jarls criteria since ANY player who has played enough games and are currently in Tier 1 or Tier 2 can be a 30% (30 percenter) :)

But the screenshot also shows, from only the look, it may be possible to have games where only one side as a group. If the other side had a group in it, they certainly did not use any tonnage. It is one game out of many though.

#13 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:14 AM

Would have been nice if they went to the battle value system but now of days we can just be happy the servers are still running.

#14 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:57 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 14 May 2020 - 03:18 AM, said:

But the screenshot also shows, from only the look, it may be possible to have games where only one side as a group. If the other side had a group in it, they certainly did not use any tonnage. It is one game out of many though.

We can't really differentiate, though, wether there is no group, or just a group of players that don't have the same unit tags. I've been dropping the past few days mostly in groups of 3-4 and we almost always had one with us that was not in our unit.

#15 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:21 AM

No, guess we dont need another thread about how PGI has handled things.

Waste of time.
The only PGI staff that read the forums are the PGI moderators and Matt Newman
Save your energy

#16 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

I find this quite interesting; thank-you for listing the percentages from [I assume] Jarl's list.

In theory the matchmaker could have swapped the Anni for the Mad Dog, and the Vulcan for the Timber-C, possibly providing better balance.

Appears that a 99.65% player was unable to compensate for a 99.71% player on the opposing side; but then does a Wolverine supported by 3 lights equate to a Cyclops supported by two assaults and a Piranha in damage/kill output? Apparently not in this case, anyway.

I'm assuming, of course, that alpha lance in team 1 is a 4-player group based on that mech composition, and alpha lance in team 2 must therefore also be a 4-player group; despite their tonnage being notably lower.

#17 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:21 PM

You know how easy it'd be to distribute the players equally to both teams based on their skill if competent developers were able to read the evidence rather than conjure numbers on their own?

#18 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:23 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 May 2020 - 07:21 PM, said:

You know how easy it'd be to distribute the players equally to both teams based on their skill if competent developers were able to read the evidence rather than conjure numbers on their own?

Imagine this argument being brought up for over 5 years Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:24 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 15 May 2020 - 07:23 PM, said:

Imagine this argument being brought up for over 5 years Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

IKR? Posted Image

#20 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:38 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 12 May 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

What you're seeing is the degenerate mess of the matchmaker putting a team together, try to put a similar team together, realized it can't, and proceed to slap the most of the dregs remaining into the other team with a few good players to "make it OK".

Cue the stompocalypse. Teams like that with a few really good players mixed in with truly horrid ones have happened like that for years- spend as much time as I did checking stats vs. screenshots and a pattern emerges. Best as I can tell, the game assembles one team at a time and doesn't actually check what it can do for the second one until it's done putting together whatever it thinks is OK for the first, and if there aren't enough "right" players available, it promptly soils the bed for team #2.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 14 May 2020 - 04:14 AM, said:

Would have been nice if they went to the battle value system but now of days we can just be happy the servers are still running.

The BV system of tabletop is utterly useless in MWO, as they've messed with so many stats that it would render it incomprehensible in terms of describing a given unit's power. And that's even before not having an actual pilot-skill ranking system that's accurate built in.

Group = unit tags is not an accurate measurement, as I've seen more than enough groups where multiple units or even no unit tags were part of a 4-man. There are plentiful one-man "units" in MWO, after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users