Commanding These Braindead Ai...

7 replies to this topic

#1 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

So how exactly do I command these dunce caps?

I tell them to move and follow me, they usually just randomly fire at anything and everything.

I tell them to focus fire something they banzai, get surrounded, and turn into an immobile turret, which results in them losing my weapons.

I told them to go to a spot to prepare for a fight and then told them to attack something and they literally did turn into immobile gun turrets. Even after telling to follow me again.....

So, yeah, how do you command these guys?

#2 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

I am having the same frustrations. I get so pissed that during defense, they stomp through and shoot all the buildings we are supposed to be protecting. However, during demolition, they tip toe around the buildings. WTF.

The go here and shoot here commands are almost useless. I end up having to absorb most of the fire because they wont go first when I tell them to, when my armor is almost gone. I have failed several missions because I constantly lead the charge and have no armor left, but they still have a crap load, but want to hang behind me.

The AI acts like every mission is a pug match in MWO.

Edited by RustyBolts, 15 May 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:14 PM

I haven't played MW5 in a while so, unless PGI have made the AI worse I've always found that telling them to "Hold Position" could be used to make them go first as well as making them effective in shooting stuff and absorbing some aggro. Of course, you need to do this individually else they'll shoot each other. Select each one separately and position them apart and you'll be good to go.

Also, since the UI is so bad for issuing commands, I suggest https://store.steamp...10/VoiceAttack/

You can get the free version from their official website and you can macro up to 20 commands. I highly recommend it. If you spend some time setting it up, you can get it to do this...

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:29 PM

i find im either using them as cannon fodder on missions with objectives (i complete objective while team kills distracts the enemy), or im setting them up as long range snipers and lermers. it requires a lot of micromanagement which can easily eat into your combat effectiveness.

in general i dislike the infinite random spawn as you got to win in what is essentially the least fun way possible. i miss games where you can clear the map through divide and conquer strategies even though you are outnumbered.

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:57 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 May 2020 - 10:29 PM, said:

i find im either using them as cannon fodder on missions with objectives (i complete objective while team kills distracts the enemy), or im setting them up as long range snipers and lermers. it requires a lot of micromanagement which can easily eat into your combat effectiveness.

in general i dislike the infinite random spawn as you got to win in what is essentially the least fun way possible. i miss games where you can clear the map through divide and conquer strategies even though you are outnumbered.

Yeah, I cant stand the random spawns. I walk along trying to scan for targets, but there is nothing there. Then I take 1 more step and boop 4 tanks to the left, 3 to the right, 2 helis above and a mech in my ***, all at 600m or less, instantly firing at me. Feels completely unnatural. Approach a base, scanning, thinkin im going to use long range LRMsor PPCs to pick off targets, but again, nothing, and then I get close enough and boop, everything just appears.

Makes weapons like LRMs on my own mech, feel worthless, since all the enemy AI do is banzai charge and circle jerk me at sub-100m.

Then we have my own AI who like to stand stationary in the midst of that and continuously lose the arms on their mechs. I have taken to doing th F1, F3 move to try and get them to move....but again, trying to shoot and command those guys with a command that requires me to take my attention off the enemy to look at a spot on the map.........

On the other hand, I like having random spawns, in that it keeps the game somewhat unknown and a little fresh, since it keeps the battles from turning into a cookie cutter, same battle every time, but they just need the random spawns to appear farther away, and in a more logical way. Instead of simply having 8 tanks appear to your front and 4 to the rear, have 12 appear to your front and they drive around, rather than just simply popping up in your ***...

#6 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:08 PM

The AI and defense Missions a Pain in my A**...29 enemys spawns around a City in very different directions first Wave in North , next wave in south and teh radar is useless , im must move to a LOS to detect the enemys and left and right side Mountains blocked fast ways around
A: im going with my Team trough the City =fast Damaged City
B:im going araound an have no Chance to protect the City against all waves of Enemys in the most Missions

so im trying to ignore all defense missions

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 04 June 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#7 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

Some tips for Defense missions, btw Im only level 11

I find that the spawns are not random , they are just two locations that repeat in sequence till you kill all the mechs, mostly.

Best way to find the spawns quickly is on the first two waves is to look around the sky and also listen for the incoming enemy spawn dropships. The sound direction can guide you.Much faster than waiting for radar.

Once the first two spawns are located the spawn sequence will repeat for the most part till all enemy mechs are defeated.

So once you know the locations of the spawns next is to position your lance (F3) so their lrms can cover both spawns with minimal movement. This will be a bit out of town to avoid most friendly damage.
Zee lance also has med laser and autocannon backup fyi.

You may have to knock down some walls for LOS purposes to make your Lance night spot more optimum.
Walls don't count much towards your cities health so go ahead knock them down if the enemies are hidden by them. You can do this between spawns while your waiting.

Now when the next enemy dropship lands you need to stand (actually better to Stutter step) between the enemy and your lance and feed your lance missile locks.

As you fight the enemy your F3ed lance behind you will rekt your targets as you fight them. Try to fight diagonally so your Lance mates don't shoot your back if you know what I mean.

This is working for me for Defense.

Each mode has a way to crack it.

O yeah one more thing.
If you shoot the enemy a lot the enemy will be drawn to YOU and NOT THE BUILDING.
You can use this to lead the enemy away from the buildings and toward an ambush of lermy/PPC Lancemates.

Also Base Heath as long as not zero only matters if their is a bonus for base health and many defense missions don't have this bonus, so you don't always have to sweat about base health so bad.

Hope this helps.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 July 2020 - 04:07 AM.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:07 AM

If you still have trouble, do as above but make your mech a Franken Super Spider A mech with the Cheat Jet mod which I'm loving, not that I need it cough but its great for a laugh and a fun way to lower the difficulty.

Just pretend it was an advanced prototype mech you found in the desert for role playing purposes.

Don't abuse it or your eyesight will go bad like when you...nvm.

The beauty of the Jump Jet mod is instead of increasing weight when you add jump jets it cheats and so it takes the weight away by the same amount as normal for that jump jet class instead of adding it. AWESOME!

A fun difficulty modifier which imo is great as a difficulty modifier and best of all the enemy can't use it against you as enemies still use standard loads and don't take advantage of the extra tonnage. So while everyone else has regular mechs you can create super mechs. Much Fun.

But if you abuse it you can suck the fun out of the game.
But if you having trouble it can help with them.
I digress.

Back to doing defense missions (Same Lance principles and Super mech applies to demolition missions as well making them much easier).

So make a personal Macross Super Spider A for you to pilot on defense missions, its really great for making demolition missions much easier too.

You will need a max armoured Spider A with Full Jump Jets which will drop the weight to 8 tons "Excellent - Mr Burns Voice"

Then add the following: Dual AMS, Dual medium Pulse Lasers, Dual AC2 CANNONS, yes cannons not machine guns Posted Image Posted Image , SRM 4 with Artmis, higher tiers are better and season with ammo and double heat sinks to preference.
With this mech you can hit hard and get any where fast.

When you drop:
Use the first two waves to discover the spawn locations having your lance mates mechs follow you and kill them asap.

Using the spawn location information for the first two waves, place your self sufficent F3 (Lrm, Autocannon10/20,Med Lasers) Lance out of town but within max lrm range of the spawns.

Sometimes you must relocate them after each spawn so choose a spot which minimises the walking distance.
Sometimes you can quickly knock down a few walls to improve LOS for yourself and lance mates.

Using your super spiders speed you can get any where quickly so when each dropship comes in you can target the first enemy whilst its still in the air and dropship's hanger bay.

Shoot that enemy and your team mates will respond with a devastating volley of PPC/Lerm fire.
I like having lerms for LOS purposes in my Lance mates mechs. They can assist LOS or no.

Pretty much repeat that each wave till their all dead.

Your Super Spider can hold its own against most, its speed giving it a biggest defensive bonus and the super jets allow you to use the clients/enemies walls and base layout to isolate and seperate them from each other so you can kill them peice meal.

Don't have your support lance too close, near max Lerm range is best so that your lance buddies have plenty of time to vapourise the enemy as they close ground if the enemy decide to focus them. I find it stops your lance geting swarmed and with lerms they can hit your target any where you are.

Besides they have Auto cannon 10/20's for close encounters and the enemy will be quite worn down but the time they get to your lance mates for an easy kill.

Enjoy, doh go easy Gundam

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 July 2020 - 04:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users