Stomps - Games Decided By Difference Of 6 Or More - Increasing More Common

24 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

From my observation, it would seem lopsided stomp games (both with wins and losses) are much more frequent now. I must admit, I do not play as much as I used to and stepped away from the game for a bit but if there was a major change in a patch along the way, it seems to be making the game less enjoyable. At least for me. Ive tried different weight classes but it does not seem to matter.

#2 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

It's due to their being no tiers or separation of the elite players vs just installed day ones que merge this month. I've just given up any attempt to be a team player. Run whatever do whatever you'll get no help in qp no matter how much you spam that com wheel.

#3 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

View PostThreeStooges, on 16 May 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

It's due to their being no tiers or separation of the elite players vs just installed day ones que merge this month. I've just given up any attempt to be a team player. Run whatever do whatever you'll get no help in qp no matter how much you spam that com wheel.

It always was like that, at least for year. 80% of games is something like 3-12.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 16 May 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

From my observation, it would seem lopsided stomp games (both with wins and losses) are much more frequent now. I must admit, I do not play as much as I used to and stepped away from the game for a bit but if there was a major change in a patch along the way, it seems to be making the game less enjoyable. At least for me. Ive tried different weight classes but it does not seem to matter.
PGI merged the group and solo queues. The matchmaker was a casualty along the way. Russ swears there's only a 5% difference in stomps from before and after.

#5 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

Stomps are the matches with 12-0 results. Even some of those are not stomps if the damages on the losing side are proper. But for the sake of clarity. lets just say that all 12-0 results are stomps and other games are not. I think it is better to clarify the term so that all participating are talking about the same thing :)

After queues were merged, there has been at least one 12-0 game where I have been on a losing side which was still a really good match. The other side just knew how to rotate line and share armour. Most of their mechs were open on multiple locations and pretty red though :) In general I have not seen any increase in stomps after the change. Pretty much similar results that were before the change. The games seem to be faster now, which is also good. And of course the meta has shifted, so the mech builds that were used before the update might not work as well as before the change.

#6 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:28 PM

You need to play the match like you're just starting out at T5 then, your W/L ratio will begin to rise up from the ashes like a phoenix.

Edited by MOBAjobg, 16 May 2020 - 03:30 PM.

#7 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

Matches are mostly garbage now (whether they are wins or losses), probably a move from PGI so that when they pull the plug out of MWO, we wont care much.

After all they have done to degrade the game even further, this is what has come out of a Mechwarrior title developed by that company.

At least we have the regular memories from years past when this was not that bad to play.

#8 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:05 PM

I watched a Twitchstream this morning and it was a delightful show of cursing "Gott und die Welt" (God and the World = everybody and his dog).

Boring garbage long range stand off tradings...without the cursing i would have fallen asleep :D

#9 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:36 AM

View PostHorseman, on 16 May 2020 - 12:48 PM, said:

PGI merged the group and solo queues. The matchmaker was a casualty along the way. Russ swears there's only a 5% difference in stomps from before and after.

When it comes to data or their interpretation I do not trust PGI. Actually I do not trust that "company" anymore at all.

View PostAlan Hicks, on 16 May 2020 - 06:59 PM, said:

Matches are mostly garbage now (whether they are wins or losses), probably a move from PGI so that when they pull the plug out of MWO, we wont care much.

After all they have done to degrade the game even further, this is what has come out of a Mechwarrior title developed by that company.

At least we have the regular memories from years past when this was not that bad to play.

QP is now a cesspool of either long range snipe / lock on crap or just a stomp. The queue is also overrun by assaults and heavies (which says it all when it comes to balance - good that most lighs turn like trucks and are rather easy to hit - especially to the lock on weapons).
If you see a non-meta mech, you are really surprised

Ah yes, and do not forget to buy a copy of MW5 ;) haha

Edited by Weeny Machine, 17 May 2020 - 01:45 AM.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:12 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 17 May 2020 - 01:36 AM, said:

When it comes to data or their interpretation I do not trust PGI.

Like I said, Russ swears it's that much. The fact he admits stomps are up means the situation is probably much worse.
Meanwhile ASH is running a running tally according to which his group drops have an 87% winrate and 50% stomp rate.

Edited by Horseman, 17 May 2020 - 05:13 AM.

#11 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

I'm not in any group drop for all of my SQ matches and there is a group drop in team enemy.

[color=#FFFFFF]Posted Image[/color]

#12 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

View PostMOBAjobg, on 17 May 2020 - 01:47 PM, said:

I'm not in any group drop for all of my SQ matches and there is a group drop in team enemy.

[color=#FFFFFF]Posted Image[/color]

Grouping can only help so much, if you start with a group that drops 70 tons under weight and consists of a bottom of the barrel potato, a dead average player and a semi decent one (like that group), then two 98%ers like you and FieToe will eat them up. But if you, FieToe and another 98%er all drop together you're going to win 80% of your matches.

#13 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

Another match where there is no group on team enemy. Getting a fast match within 5 secs certainly doesn't compensate to play a match against an unbalanced team distribution.

Posted Image

The below match has 2 group drops in Team Enemy and based on my early assumptions, my team should lose quickly but the outcome turned out differently and is a pleasant surprise.

Posted Image

Edited by MOBAjobg, 17 May 2020 - 04:23 PM.

#14 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:40 PM

I find that quickplay is kind of much the same now as it was, except now you can play with friends. Matches can be heavily swayed by one team having one or two more good players than the other team. Players that drop call (and your pugs ACTUALLY LISTEN) will have a higher success rate. If your pugs ignore your calls and wander off and die they will blame "teams" for their downfall. This is a team game by its very nature (you work in 3 lances equaling a company), the sooner people start accepting that even a little bit the sooner they might start enjoying it. Some teams are unwilling to lead their pugs and shame on them, but the ones who are willing to make calls are nothing but beneficial to their team.

#15 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:09 PM

OP's initial question has been answered. Please discuss the merge of solo and group queue in its appropriate thread.
https://mwomercs.com...es-4-week-test/

#16 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:14 PM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 17 May 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

I find that quickplay is kind of much the same now as it was, except now you can play with friends. Matches can be heavily swayed by one team having one or two more good players than the other team. Players that drop call (and your pugs ACTUALLY LISTEN) will have a higher success rate. If your pugs ignore your calls and wander off and die they will blame "teams" for their downfall. This is a team game by its very nature (you work in 3 lances equaling a company), the sooner people start accepting that even a little bit the sooner they might start enjoying it. Some teams are unwilling to lead their pugs and shame on them, but the ones who are willing to make calls are nothing but beneficial to their team.

Can I assume you are dropping with your unit? If so, that would explain why even a good player like you is achieving your best ever WLR and survival rate since the merge. Something to think about.

#17 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:20 AM

Welcome to the 3%.

#18 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 17 May 2020 - 10:14 PM, said:

Can I assume you are dropping with your unit? If so, that would explain why even a good player like you is achieving your best ever WLR and survival rate since the merge. Something to think about.

I drop with my unit sometimes, and friends other times. You are correct that this is the best W/L ratio Ive had though I can definitely argue that that shouldn't be the case. The only thing that separates prior seasons to this season is that some people on my team actually listen to a drop caller now. I get people's desire to play individually and do as they please, but when it consistently results in more losses than wins (which is often the case) they should consider a new method of playing. I call drops sometimes, but am often met with so little compliance that I usually throw my hands up and just go back to selfishly milling about like everyone else. Occasionally enough people listen and it more often then not ends in a good result though. Instead of meeting small teams (2-4) with resistance solo players should use them as a rallying point to give their match some focus. I still drop solo, and if a team is calling the shots I listen and aid them because I want to win, and that gives me the best chance to do so.

If you drop with one of my groups youll also notice we usually lead from the front. You mentioned my "survival rate" being at an all time high, but it isn't (though it is close). I die more often in wins now then I have in a long time because I know as a group my guys have to lead from the front if we want the pugs to listen and sometimes that means I die early and gruesomely. That sucks, but if it means my guys, and by extension the pugs, can get the job done then so be it.

#19 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:55 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 16 May 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

Ques have merged, therefore, there is no matchmaking that takes tiers into account - ergo, stomps.

Also, low population with big groups and comp players prowling... you get stomps.

#20 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:04 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 18 May 2020 - 01:47 PM, said:

I drop with my unit sometimes, and friends other times. You are correct that this is the best W/L ratio Ive had though I can definitely argue that that shouldn't be the case. The only thing that separates prior seasons to this season is that some people on my team actually listen to a drop caller now. I get people's desire to play individually and do as they please, but when it consistently results in more losses than wins (which is often the case) they should consider a new method of playing. I call drops sometimes, but am often met with so little compliance that I usually throw my hands up and just go back to selfishly milling about like everyone else. Occasionally enough people listen and it more often then not ends in a good result though. Instead of meeting small teams (2-4) with resistance solo players should use them as a rallying point to give their match some focus. I still drop solo, and if a team is calling the shots I listen and aid them because I want to win, and that gives me the best chance to do so.

If you drop with one of my groups youll also notice we usually lead from the front. You mentioned my "survival rate" being at an all time high, but it isn't (though it is close). I die more often in wins now then I have in a long time because I know as a group my guys have to lead from the front if we want the pugs to listen and sometimes that means I die early and gruesomely. That sucks, but if it means my guys, and by extension the pugs, can get the job done then so be it.

Well to be accurate what really separates this season is you're dropping in groups vs. merged teams, correct?

That's the point I'm trying to make as you clearly understand. Your survival rate has dropped a touch since I posted, but you're still at 54% which is higher than any season you've had except January where you also played the lowest number of matches you've had in awhile.

You're an excellent player, and getting to drop with people you trust and know makes you even more deadly in game. It's an advantage, although as you'd expect, I consider it a queue breaking advantage in a mixed mode like merge queue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users