52 replies to this topic

#1 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:18 PM

MW5 is on sale right now. Is it good? I really like MWO. What are the main differences? And will it integrate into the MW portal, or is it entirely it's own game? Thanks!

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:49 PM

It is a stand alone game that can be played by up to 4 Players in a Coop mode after you finished the initial tutorial missions.
It is based on the UE4 Engine, has a basic pretty straight forward Single Player Campaign and an AI below Igor Level.
Aside of that you can simply play it as Merc game and roam around the Galaxy as your purse allows in search for better Contracts and Mechs, there are some mods out like for the HUD, better AI, that work only with the EPIC Gamestore Version so far and some exciting mods are announced like the Mechcommander Mod.
The game also includes other Vehicles than Mechs.

#3 Avathar

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:12 AM

This abortion of what Mechwarrior is, is not worth more than 5 euro. The ai is extremely weak. The game is full of (small) bugs, lacks decent features of mechwarrior.

YOU CANNOT ORDER LANCEMATES TO A LOCATION, because you cant select one. Your lancemates are basically idling a lot of the time when you order them to attack. The just... stand around. Doing nothing.

Thank you Piranha for killing this francise off. There wont be a mechwarrior 6 due to this faillure. You made a game so full of obsolete cliches, nothing original is brought in. Mech design is dumbed down. Controls lack, commands are lacking, there is:
join formation and attack (no command works as it should btw).

The reason im playing it is: i bought a 5700 XT and got a code to M$ box so i got this game for free. Otherwise, dont bother.

#4 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:32 AM

if you get it for a reasonable price,grab it
as yet it's not great mainly due to a stupid Ai but some mods on Nexus are available and make it so much better

#5 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

I mainly enjoy PvP on-line rather than single player or co-op. I really enjoy MWO, so I guess I'll stick with that.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Posted Image

#6 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:26 PM

I got it on sale, if I had paid full price I would have used the Epic Games "request a refund" option before I hit the 2 hour limit.

Faux depth in the whole map, planets, contracts thing but shallow combat. Waves of attackers spawning at intervals until some condition is met. Baradul makes it look way more interesting than it is.

I miss the real MW games of yore.

#7 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

Yes I had Mechwarrior 4 and the other releases. Good stuff.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

View PostAvathar, on 17 May 2020 - 06:12 AM, said:

YOU CANNOT ORDER LANCEMATES TO A LOCATION, because you cant select one. Your lancemates are basically idling a lot of the time when you order them to attack. The just... stand around. Doing nothing.

While Mw5 has many issues...and I mean a lot of issues...

This specific one is simply not true. Like past mechwarriors what you do is hit the F key associated with the specific pilot (i.e. if the pilot is under F2 you'd hit F2).
You can then Aim at a location (it prioritizes the "o" crosshair over the "+" crosshair) and then press the F key now associated with "Go to location."
They then give you an audio cue saying they're on their way and will do so. They will also linger around said location and return to it if they are drawn away by enemies once the enemies are gone. They will engage enemies along the way, sometimes giving chase even if you don't want them to, but they will go to that location.

I think your issue is once ordered to the location, they will STAY there for the most part unless you do this little intelligent thing like say "Form on me" or give them a new location to linger at.

Edit: (The issue is also true if you ordered them to attack a target, they tend to just linger wherever they were last at or continue to engage nearby enemies, sometimes requiring you to tell them to join you again. If ordered to attack something after told to go to a location, once they finish attacking they will return to that location and stand there... so that might be the issue.)

View PostNearly Dead, on 17 May 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Waves of attackers spawning at intervals until some condition is met.

This depends on the mission type. Certain types have finite attackers with very little spawning if any, while others the spawning is endless, on some the endless spawning happens only after the mission is done on your way out (and curiously sometimes the enemy faction and consistency will change when this happens, in one case I was fighting Steiners and on my way out I was being attacked by waves from a mercenary outfit with unique voices).

----------

View PostVexDarkness, on 16 May 2020 - 09:18 PM, said:

MW5 is on sale right now. Is it good? I really like MWO. What are the main differences? And will it integrate into the MW portal, or is it entirely it's own game? Thanks!

To give some straight answers.
It plays like MWO in terms of controls so you won't have to relearn much. The HUD and interface suck but there's awesome hud mods out there. Some for the interface as well. However many MWO builds will not work due to either not being possible, or being broken as for the most part MW5 is less forgiving in the heat department (once you get tier 3 weapons and even just a couple of DHS, the heat situation will no longer be the case). As mentioned the game is single-player with multiplayer co-op available but any friends joining you are just guests in your story taking control of your wingmen as opposed to actually sharing a story and campaign together.

It caters a little into a Call of Duty style power fantasy though, you'll be faced with many opponents that while generally their equipment is similar to yours, the stats of the pilots make them fairly inferior by debuffing them (and gradually restoring/buffing them for higher level pilots). They also have dice roll shots for target locations forcing them to spread their damage while you can focus fire. The idea is to have you feel especially powerful, but when the enemy count is low and you can watch this in action it feels like you're being pandered to and you're just wondering when they will bring you the bib, the silly hat and the pacifier; especially when you realize that if you ignore them in a larger crowd they'll just watch and wait for their turn because they're so nice to you.. (You'd expect that of Kurita, but when everyone including enemy mercs do it...) I often find it best to eliminate vehicles first; vehicles don't stop attacking you but mechs will hold off and watch if you ignore them.

It is entirely its own game, and right now needs to be acquired through the "Epic Game Launcher", which right now is giving away GTA 5 for free.

It is a mixed bag with a significant amount of wasted potential, as despite having 'story' in the various trailers leading up to the game's release, Russ has said they only did the story in the last 6 months of development and as such it has a lot of amateur-quality or general low-effort traits in terms of characters.. which is saddening because there are a lot more animations made and/or put in than is actually used (for example the person really running everything with you just being a yes man, spends the entire game standing in one spot, in one pose, and only has the ability to look left and right 45 degrees, no matter how dire the straits are.))

Conveniently if you move too far away from someone that's speaking they shift to the radio which actually is easier to hear than the characters in person.

The combat is a bit more satisfying than MWO as it's more about hammering varied opponents with various setups as opposed to people using one of 3 cookie cutter builds that put everything into a single shot. At least until you realize that mechs have certain combat architectures that if you realize what specific strategies the specific mech is permitted to use, you can exploit to a rather disgusting extent. For example, the first mech you face has a very rigid combat strategy that requires a specific distance from you, will use full speed to get to that distance, but if you're too close it'll use less than 30 kph to restore that distance and in doing so, it becomes an incredibly slow, easy target that if you saved some ammo for will be able to corner and obliterate in seconds rather than have it be the drawn-out life or death struggle they make it sound like it might be.

The game's saving grace is the modding community. The mods out there are pretty impressive. I haven't seen any making significant overhauls to the AI yet, but there's a plethora of weapon mods, location mods, some have dabbled into ways of delivering the lore side of things and even a few have been hard at work creating new mission types. We've had at least two patches (possibly 3) with another coming soon alongside a DLC to expand on stuff a bit more.

Edited by Koniving, 17 May 2020 - 06:22 PM.

#9 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:14 PM

Cool, thanks for the in-depth reply! Posted Image

#10 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:33 AM

View PostKoniving, on 17 May 2020 - 06:10 PM, said:

The game's saving grace is the modding community. The mods out there are pretty impressive. I haven't seen any making significant overhauls to the AI yet, but there's a plethora of weapon mods, location mods, some have dabbled into ways of delivering the lore side of things and even a few have been hard at work creating new mission types. We've had at least two patches (possibly 3) with another coming soon alongside a DLC to expand on stuff a bit more.

Koniving nailed it except on one thing
sorry to differ but this Mod changes completely AI behavior (available on Nexus)
TableTopRulez_LanceMateAIMod

#11 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

I've played the game a long time, and with certain mods, it's awesome..

Totally different shtick than MWO, the mechs feel different, act different.. The weapons too.. You're alot more powerful than in MWO, you can take on entire lances yourself sometimes..

But the game is very very fun..

#12 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

View PostVexDarkness, on 16 May 2020 - 09:18 PM, said:

Its a game that delivers on being "rompy stompy robot fun", cuz it is fun, the combat is interesting enough.
Past that, its quite shallow, the storyline is meh, the dialogue is cliche and cringy and there isnt alot of progression or anything like that. Pilot skills arent indepth or anything. Its literally just rompy stompy robot fun and thats about where it ends.

As for the Coop side, your teammates do not bring thier own mechs or pilots, but they instead take control of one of YOUR mech and pilots. So therefore, you set up your team and let your buddies drive it. Hope they dont suck, or your going to be out of gunz in a hurry.

also, 3 mods that are almost a MUST have, cuz they really change the way the game feels is: TableTop AI Rulez(otherwise its banzai charging, phone booth circle jerking AI derp fests for dayz), Better Respawn mod(cuz screw Hunchbacks and 10 tanks popping up like daisies right behind me), and Rescaling mod to make mechs actually believable size, instead of Pacific Rim Jager sized. Your mechs actually fit down the streets with the rescale mods haha. Also, Navid's 3D HUD, that thing is just b-e-a-utiful. Makes the game really feel quite different.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 18 May 2020 - 12:10 PM.

#13 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

Hmm..okay thanks. I do mainly prefer PvP though, so I may pass on it. Posted Image

#14 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:42 AM

Dear OP, unfortunately as a continuing victim of this games studio, who bought MW5 Mercenaries having waited the best part of 20yrs.. I can only advise you not to. As of today, the game clearly is not finished and has some major flaws, not limited to useless radar, random spawning infinite enemies etc.

I am so disappointed with the game that I literally came on here to rant, because this is just not fair or acceptable. I hate to beat down on people, but surely Piranha haven't tried to make a good game here. No way. I could tell within 5 minutes of gameplay that some of the design decisions are 'off'.

I've spent hundreds on MWO and MW over the years and loved the IP, but under Piranha's handling, it can all burn as far as I'm concerned now.

#15 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

Violent Nick hit the point with his answer.
And There is so much more to complain about MW5.

if you want to play it (what I understand) wait a year until all DLCs are released and the modding communitity made a game out of this mess. Unmodded it is no fun to play.

#16 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

View PostViolent Nick, on 22 May 2020 - 05:42 AM, said:

Dear OP, unfortunately as a continuing victim of this games studio, who bought MW5 Mercenaries having waited the best part of 20yrs.. I can only advise you not to. As of today, the game clearly is not finished and has some major flaws, not limited to useless radar, random spawning infinite enemies etc.

I am so disappointed with the game that I literally came on here to rant, because this is just not fair or acceptable. I hate to beat down on people, but surely Piranha haven't tried to make a good game here. No way. I could tell within 5 minutes of gameplay that some of the design decisions are 'off'.

I've spent hundreds on MWO and MW over the years and loved the IP, but under Piranha's handling, it can all burn as far as I'm concerned now.

hehe I'll stick to MWO as I'm having a blast with it. Posted Image Thanks!

View PostMumuharra, on 22 May 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Violent Nick hit the point with his answer.
And There is so much more to complain about MW5.

if you want to play it (what I understand) wait a year until all DLCs are released and the modding communitity made a game out of this mess. Unmodded it is no fun to play.

Okay, thanks for the tip!

Edited by VexDarkness, 22 May 2020 - 11:05 AM.

#17 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:17 AM

Apart for the shooty-shooty to some extent, everything about it is unfinished. I pre-ordered it 'cause I got the MWO goodies that came with MW5. Though the mods are there to rectify a few things, there isn't enough to warrant a purchase right now. Wait for DLCs to release and then go on sale together. That's when you can consider buying it.

#18 VexDarkness

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationthe south

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 22 May 2020 - 11:17 AM, said:

Apart for the shooty-shooty to some extent, everything about it is unfinished. I pre-ordered it 'cause I got the MWO goodies that came with MW5. Though the mods are there to rectify a few things, there isn't enough to warrant a purchase right now. Wait for DLCs to release and then go on sale together. That's when you can consider buying it.

Okay gotcha. Thanks!

#19 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Get it on Microsoft Game Pass. It snuck in there WAAAY before releasing it on Steam, which is odd but welcome. Theres some things missing like hte editor? But will get added later, someone could correct me on this.

I made the HUGE mistake by pre ordering before the switcharoo to time Epic exclusive debacle. AND I missed the refund time window AND I hoped you would get a free key for the game once launching on Steam later this year ( thye better ). It wasnt possible at all sadly.

Soooo, I did play MW5 somewhat with a system specs that should have ran it withouth too much fuzz, even if my GTX 1050 is 20 in number under recoomended ( GTX 1070 ). Infuriating graphics pop ins and, mech, objects etc all looked bland, smooth marmor, no detail like.
I deleted the game, deleted Epic launcher, deleted my Epic Account aswell. Stick to Steam, GOG and MS, I will.

The Game itself is promising, has the groundwork. At least it launched without having to wait 15 + more years with the liscensing mess the Battletech/ Mech Warrior franchise have orbiting around.

#20 Avathar

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:50 AM

I got this game FREE, with my code for xbox beta when i got my new graphics card.
I just uninstalled this, since... I DONT WANT THIS GAME EVEN FOR FREE.
It is ... S H I T. I just played a mission where a lance mates says his armor is low and he lost a component. THEN RUSHES OFF TO THE FRONT SO HE GETS SHOT.
That was the moment where i decided i had enough of this piece of crap. The AI is worse than in DOS games.
Everything is so extremely dumbed down, options taken away, depth of play extremely reduced, that it is not even remotely Mechwarrior.

Edited by Avathar, 27 May 2020 - 11:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users