Driving An Assault In Quick Play Is A Painful Experience

44 replies to this topic

#21 Dukat281

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

View PostZETECTIC, on 17 May 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

Currently, I consider running anything less than 65kph without ecm not viable in the solo queue.
Do you agree?

I disagree. I make sure my assaults for quick play run 67.5kph to keep up with the crowd. Everything below is a gamble.

#22 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

View PostDukat281, on 19 May 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I disagree. I make sure my assaults for quick play run 67.5kph to keep up with the crowd. Everything below is a gamble.

If your theory holds water, the Atlas will be totally unusable in QP then, even with a 390 engine, it can only barely reach 67.5kph after speed tweaks (63.2kph w/o speed tweaks), and you are left with less than 25 tons of free tonnage for guns/ammo/DHS after fitting in a STD390 and maxing out the armor. What can you do with 25 tons? Even a pair of UAC10 weight 26 tons (without ammo), which means you are going to be outgunned even compare to a heavy mech.

Edited by ingramli, 19 May 2020 - 05:17 PM.

#23 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:45 PM

View PostDukat281, on 19 May 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'd say most 'Mechs are a gamble, you never know what exactly you are going to face. It's definitely possible to make 48kph work more often than not w/l wise, but it requires good map awareness and very specific 'Mech choice. I personally don't go below 55 kph because I don't own an Annihilator. In my opinion the Anni is strong enough to warrant trundling along at that pace.

#24 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:36 PM

View Postingramli, on 19 May 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

If your theory holds water, the Atlas will be totally unusable in QP then, even with a 390 engine, it can only barely reach 67.5kph after speed tweaks (63.2kph w/o speed tweaks), and you are left with less than 25 tons of free tonnage for guns/ammo/DHS after fitting in a STD390 and maxing out the armor. What can you do with 25 tons? Even a pair of UAC10 weight 26 tons (without ammo), which means you are going to be outgunned even compare to a heavy mech.

You always, ALWAYS XL an Atlas!

THE BOAR'S HEAD

#25 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 19 May 2020 - 08:36 PM, said:

THE BOAR'S HEAD

I loaded that up in my phone's browser, which only displayed the large laser arm at first. So I thought OK, that could side peak, maybe. Then I panned and saw the clutch HMG, double heat sinks, LRM 20 and brilliantly selected ER Medium Lasers - because there's nothing more annoying than a Flea squeaking outside of regular Medium Laser range. 10/10 would scroll again.

#26 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 17 May 2020 - 06:30 PM, said:

The problem with too many assault pilots is they want to play from the rear...You should graduate to assault mechs after learning the other classes, not the other way around.

This should be mandatory reading before graduating the Academy.

#27 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

View PostZETECTIC, on 17 May 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

Currently, I consider running anything less than 65kph without ecm not viable in the solo queue.

I can think of many reasons why, but the result is not fun.

Do you agree?

Agreed. I only tolerate them for the skill points or I miss it because it's been so long.

#28 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:31 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 19 May 2020 - 08:36 PM, said:

THE BOAR'S HEAD

first off: good that you thought of the hMG; but dude, you totally forgot about about the flamer, the L-AMS, beagle probe, Command Console and a big TC for all those lasers.
if only it had more missile-slots, so you could downgrade to a aLRM5, install a SSRM2 and a MRM10.
oh, and you have to mix up the lasers more. maybe with pulses of different sizes etc Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 20 May 2020 - 01:32 PM.

#29 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 20 May 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

first off: good that you thought of the hMG; but dude, you totally forgot about about the flamer, the L-AMS, beagle probe, Command Console and a big TC for all those lasers.
if only it had more missile-slots, so you could downgrade to a aLRM5, install a SSRM2 and a MRM10.
oh, and you have to mix up the lasers more. maybe with pulses of different sizes etc Posted Image

I find the altas to be best with a std engine and as much firepower as possible. You might not be able to keep up, but you'll make a handful of them back off.

#30 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:09 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 19 May 2020 - 06:45 PM, said:

I'd say most 'Mechs are a gamble, you never know what exactly you are going to face. It's definitely possible to make 48kph work more often than not w/l wise, but it requires good map awareness and very specific 'Mech choice. I personally don't go below 55 kph because I don't own an Annihilator. In my opinion the Anni is strong enough to warrant trundling along at that pace.

no bueno bro

i leveled 3 riflemen iic (max 48kph) in qp and it wasnt that bad.

#31 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:48 PM

I purposefully down gear my engines for quickplay to ensure I do not outpace the 'team' too much. 48kph is perfectly reasonable for a medium to ensure I can keep up the slow pace of the gameplay. Granted, I don't really play quickplay much anymore anyways.

~Leone.

#32 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 20 May 2020 - 04:09 PM, said:

no bueno bro

i leveled 3 riflemen iic (max 48kph) in qp and it wasnt that bad.

Yeah exactly, you can make it work fine as long as you are careful with positioning.

#33 Dukat281

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

You can always sport a mech with less than 65kph or 67.5kph in quick play. But chances are high that you fall behind, or get lost, or get eaten by a bunch of lights or mediums.

I have Maulers, Atlases, Stalkers, Cyclopses and what not, and they all rott less or more in the hangar, barely being used.

I'd recommend a Zeus or Battlemaster for quick play, those can keep up with the crowd.

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostDukat281, on 21 May 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

You can always sport a mech with less than 65kph or 67.5kph in quick play. But chances are high that you fall behind, or get lost, or get eaten by a bunch of lights or mediums.

I have Maulers, Atlases, Stalkers, Cyclopses and what not, and they all rott less or more in the hangar, barely being used.

I'd recommend a Zeus or Battlemaster for quick play, those can keep up with the crowd.

I have actually found that recently (this week excepted as I have been too busy to play), Light 'Mechs are THE class to play. I have been doing well in my Grinner and new Flea. But don't tell anyone because 99.96% of Very Good Players agree that Lights are the worst.

#35 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:17 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 21 May 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

I have actually found that recently (this week excepted as I have been too busy to play), Light 'Mechs are THE class to play. I have been doing well in my Grinner and new Flea. But don't tell anyone because 99.96% of Very Good Players agree that Lights are the worst.

sorry mate, you got that wrong; light mechs are the worst perfoming class;
that doesn't mean they're the worst, but only that there are many more pilots out there who can't handle a light
than say a medium or heavy (and it usually aint those "better pilots" who suck in them).
there IS a difference, you know.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 21 May 2020 - 01:18 PM.

#36 Z E T E T I C

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

Thanks to all who replied.

Those that replied some variation of 'git gud', (respectfully I might add - thx) were missing the point. I know all the spawns, the path routing, etc. I just feel that the extra armour and firepower of assualts vs mediums and lights just isn't worth the loss in mobility.

I bought a Sleipnir recently expecting to have a great time, but no. It is frustrating to pilot.

#37 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 21 May 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

sorry mate, you got that wrong; light mechs are the worst perfoming class;
that doesn't mean they're the worst, but only that there are many more pilots out there who can't handle a light
than say a medium or heavy (and it usually aint those "better pilots" who suck in them).
there IS a difference, you know.

I didn't get it wrong, what you wrote is exactly what I meant. How many times have we seen a thread pop up where someone says that Assaults are the hardest class to play, followed by a Very Good Player "correcting" them by stating that actually, Lights are? They're not, they might be the worst performing class but that might well be because they attract the most inexperienced players. Assaults have a much higher skill ceiling, especially now that spawns can be random. My Flea and Grinner have w/l over 2 and k\d over 3, none of my Assaults have that. My average MS in lights is 20-30 points higher.

#38 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:22 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 22 May 2020 - 08:02 AM, said:

I didn't get it wrong, what you wrote is exactly what I meant. How many times have we seen a thread pop up where someone says that Assaults are the hardest class to play, followed by a Very Good Player "correcting" them by stating that actually, Lights are? They're not, they might be the worst performing class but that might well be because they attract the most inexperienced players. Assaults have a much higher skill ceiling, especially now that spawns can be random. My Flea and Grinner have w/l over 2 and k\d over 3, none of my Assaults have that. My average MS in lights is 20-30 points higher.

in simpler words, maybe those work: is it that hard to differentiate " I " and "average of all people playing that thing" ...... ?

look, I ain't disagreeing on lights; I'd much rather take a light to the Rotatoe-Queue than an assault, it's far more relaxing (to me), far more fun (to me) and damage, kmdds and kills are not the issue;

BUT: how often do you see your pugger-alpha-lance outperform your pugger-assault-lance (in those terrible, terrible games that are the norm)?
there is a reason that lights are the lowest populated group out of the 4 nearly every time, and it ain't because they're too easy to use for everybody.
they're not too weak, they're not too strong - they just punish stupid ideas more than an assault does, and faster. problem is not the mech, problem is, as usual, the pilot.

anyway.. why am I even bothering, this doesn't concern me .. pls continue. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 22 May 2020 - 09:39 AM.

#39 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

Why it's zero fun taking something like Annihilator too slow and too big of a target. Sure you have massive fire power just good luck not getting left behind and focused down.

#40 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

View PostZETECTIC, on 21 May 2020 - 01:53 PM, said:

Thanks to all who replied.

Those that replied some variation of 'git gud', (respectfully I might add - thx) were missing the point. I know all the spawns, the path routing, etc. I just feel that the extra armour and firepower of assualts vs mediums and lights just isn't worth the loss in mobility.

I bought a Sleipnir recently expecting to have a great time, but no. It is frustrating to pilot.

Assault's firepower DO worth loss of mobility in the straight fight. It allow to grind opponent faster and make stand against enemy fire. When brawl finally coming into town, assaults do make the difference, even in rotating meta.

It's perfectly fine to be biased for favorite classes and mech's and prefer them for flexibility, but most harassing lights and mediums depend on the "meat" which grinding and distracting opfor, and most fire support of medium/heavium spectrum will appropriate distraction targets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users