More For Less

9 replies to this topic

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Let's call this a challenge multiplier - - - -

I would like to see the feature added to allow higher rewards if you take lower tonnage into a match.

So if a match limits you to 400t, and you take 300t in and win, you should get a 25% increase in all negotiated sections.

If the match limit is 300t and you take only 150t in, you would get effectively 50% increase in all negotiated amounts.

This would not only be fair, it would make match play more interesting and challenging.

Just for clarification, ONLY the NEGOTIATED amount would increase, NOT the base value.

Say the base salvage might be 8 points, and you added 8 more points for a total of 16 salvage points.
If you took in half the weight and won the match, you would get 4 additional salvage points for a new total of 20 salvage points. (Worth taking a chance and testing your skill?)
*Of course the monetary values would also increase accordingly.

Who is on board with this?
Peace

#2 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 17 May 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Let's call this a challenge multiplier - - - -

I would like to see the feature added to allow higher rewards if you take lower tonnage into a match.

So if a match limits you to 400t, and you take 300t in and win, you should get a 25% increase in all negotiated sections.

If the match limit is 300t and you take only 150t in, you would get effectively 50% increase in all negotiated amounts.

This would not only be fair, it would make match play more interesting and challenging.

Just for clarification, ONLY the NEGOTIATED amount would increase, NOT the base value.

Say the base salvage might be 8 points, and you added 8 more points for a total of 16 salvage points.
If you took in half the weight and won the match, you would get 4 additional salvage points for a new total of 20 salvage points. (Worth taking a chance and testing your skill?)
*Of course the monetary values would also increase accordingly.

Who is on board with this?
Peace

Logically speaking, why would I pay you more for you struggling to get the job done? It's like I hire you to make a car, and you go making your own steel from scratch first.. doesn't make sense..

#3 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

You are absolutely correct.
Doing it this way would be more difficult.
That is the reason I suggested the increased payout if you took a lighter lance into a mission.
And the increased challenge would make an otherwise bland match more interesting.
I felt that the increase percentage of payment would be worth the extra effort, especially early in the game when you always seem to run short on salvage points, or money to purchase additional mechs and gear.
Peace (heading back to the foundry to make more steel - - - -)

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:24 PM

But...but... Sometimes lighter mechs are better. Heck for almost every demo missions I just take one firestarter in.

~Leone.

#5 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:37 AM

Good point, Leone.
And even though you may be able to pull it off on occasion, you will get melted on most (unless you are an exceptional pilot).
But that one win is glorious, and if PGI invoked a bonus for utilizing lower weight per mission, you would be swimming in salvage rights and credits.
Personally, I have taken lighter lances into many missions and have been successful more than not.
It would be cool to garner a feather in your cap for using less resources to get the job done.
Peace

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

i think id have preferred no limits at all in what you can take. except there would be tradeoffs with taking too much tonnage. like you would have higher operating costs and lower turn around with assaults resulting in less profit over time. using less tonnage means more risk, more dead pilots, more failed missions, but could really turn out the profits in the long run.

#7 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

I don't mind the risks, or loosing an occasional mission, but don't like the thought of loosing a pilot.
If I bring a pilot in a lighter chassis, and feel he/she would be at risk, I order them to stay back a bit away from the fray and try to draw more attention from the attackers myself.
This way, the lighter pilot could do a good bit of damage while taking less himself.
I have found that a few well placed shots at an enemy that is focused on a teammate will cause them to turn away from their attack and look at me with a little hate in their lasers.
Peace.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 22 May 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

I don't mind the risks, or loosing an occasional mission, but don't like the thought of loosing a pilot.
If I bring a pilot in a lighter chassis, and feel he/she would be at risk, I order them to stay back a bit away from the fray and try to draw more attention from the attackers myself.
This way, the lighter pilot could do a good bit of damage while taking less himself.
I have found that a few well placed shots at an enemy that is focused on a teammate will cause them to turn away from their attack and look at me with a little hate in their lasers.
Peace.

seems i was always using my team as a distraction while i completed the objective. sometimes i wished i could order them to do the objective while i did the fighting. but you can only do so much with such a simple ai. and the constant enemy respawn just ruins a good fight i think.

anyway i figure it would be up to the player to weigh the risks or to mitigate them. put pilots in mechs they can handle and put armor on their heads and that might keep them alive. seems like the higher skill the pilot the more likely they would get themselves killed.

#9 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:58 AM

This may sound strange, LN, but I feel each AI pilot has a 'personality' by design.
Pilots of higher skill level do not seem to shed their characteristics, but do become more efficient.
If you pay attention to the pilot's actions, you will find that some are more aggressive and some are timid.
Some will follow orders, and some have a mind of their own.
Some will avoid shooting friendlies (these are the same guys that won't fire into buildings when the enemy is targeted on the other side) and some won't lift their finger off of the trigger till they are dead.
If you listen to the dialog during non battle you might get a hint as to their character.
Also, their response to any given order may give you insight to their loyalty.
Try reading the pilot brief and see if they behave like the person described.
I have noticed continuity to these actions on every mission, with some variance of behavior depending on the mission type.
Can I get some feedback on this perspective?
Peace

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:08 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 24 May 2020 - 04:58 AM, said:

This may sound strange, LN, but I feel each AI pilot has a 'personality' by design.
Pilots of higher skill level do not seem to shed their characteristics, but do become more efficient.
If you pay attention to the pilot's actions, you will find that some are more aggressive and some are timid.
Some will follow orders, and some have a mind of their own.
Some will avoid shooting friendlies (these are the same guys that won't fire into buildings when the enemy is targeted on the other side) and some won't lift their finger off of the trigger till they are dead.
If you listen to the dialog during non battle you might get a hint as to their character.
Also, their response to any given order may give you insight to their loyalty.
Try reading the pilot brief and see if they behave like the person described.
I have noticed continuity to these actions on every mission, with some variance of behavior depending on the mission type.
Can I get some feedback on this perspective?
Peace

there are probably hidden variables that you aren't shown. the pilot descriptions do look procedural though so it might be generate from both hidden and shown variables.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users