#1 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

Question:

I just started an alt-account because I wanted to go through the challenge of actually playing this game for free. My first two loot boxes were both "Ultra Rare", one with a million CB and a day of premium time, another with 400 MC.

Are they biased to be really good loot boxes for new players, and get crappier as time goes on? Or did I just get luckier than I've ever gotten with my regular account, twice in a row?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:20 PM

lucky you. never got any good stuff on my alt.

#3 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:01 AM

How long has it been with the ****** loot boxes, now? Two years? Three? I didn't think good ones existed. I figured this must have been a new-account fluke (call it a bribe). You see that good stuff exists, and now you'll throw yourself at the slot machine in the hopes that it'll grace your screen again... Good to know my alt account is just lucky, I guess. :) Wish my main account was that lucky....

Personally, I wanted them to keep the old system, where it was 25MC for a key (with the amount of MC they were giving away, even back then, it really wasn't pay-to-win), and then give one key for every PTS match played. You'd get PLENTY of player-base for your public test sessions, then!! :) I forget when or why, but at some point they gave away 400 keys, and I still had 200 or 300 left when they changed systems.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:32 AM

Well, it might not have been pay to win, but it was some kind of lottery and to conform with some international and national laws, they had to go.

#5 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

I'd say lucky. I am a returning player (played in the beta then never found the time to play again till recently) I have opened 3 boxes. All 3 were common (or uncommon) with common rewards. Tho as I didn't have much from the beta even bulk weapons are welcome so I was happy with anything.

Been told its completely random. Wish as a "newer" player I could earn them faster at the start (but thats just the beginner wishing he had more free stuff side of me).

Still they are a nice little bonus.

#6 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:17 PM

The thing that annoys me about the switch was the severe downgrade in rewards. I probably got somewhere around half- to a dozen mechbays out of the old ones, plus a Vindicator-1AA and its mechbay, plus a few warhorns, several XL engines (most of which were the wrong size, but still), and at least a couple thousand MC. Certainly several thousand MC worth of other cockpit items that I could sooner have done without, but the point is that the rewards were actually WORTH something.

Now, I've gotten several hundred small lasers, SRM 2's with Artemis, LRM 5's, and all kinds of decals that I have to sort through to find the ones I actually want (very thankful there's usable filters for those). Any "good" ones just have another standing cockpit item. Gone are the 'mech bays and warhorns, and doubly gone are getting actual 'mechs out of them.

#7 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

Can confirm you just got lucky, there ain't no biased handout of loot-boxes to newcomers. Had to make myself a new account again after my E-PIG induced farewell and since then got blue and around 2-3 purple boxes only.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 19 May 2020 - 11:11 PM.

#8 Tw1st3d ZA

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:32 AM

Agreed, confirm you got lucky. Also started an alt account and on my "rare" loot boxes all I got was SRM/LRMs and a decal. No sight of any form of currency yet

#9 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

Hmmm... Alright then. Weird that those are the only two loot boxes that account's gotten, and they're both better than anything 90% of any other accounts have ever received, even years into this thing. Thank you all for making me feel lucky, and sorry for flaunting it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users