• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

View PostSean Lang, on 18 May 2020 - 09:05 PM, said:

What are your top 5 features?

Sorry but you may as well pee in the wind.

#22 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:35 AM

-PSR reset and changes to more accurately rate pilot skill and improve match maker.
-Automated side option, aka "just give me a match" in FP.
-Casual mode in Solaris that can be searched for while also searching for ranked. If a match against an opponent of similar rank is found its ranked, if point gap is to much then its casual. Bonus points if you can search all divs at once and have a ranked and casual mech selected.
-Balance pass.
-Urbie IIC.

#23 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:17 AM

View PostKynesis, on 18 May 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

1. An actual, thoughtful, well researched business plan that focuses on player engagement and retention, and enthusiastically avoids the practices of the past that have so ruined PGI's reputation and trustworthiness.
2. Let go of the catastrophically limiting mindset of trying to frame MWO as an e-Sport. It is a game, for a setting with vast potential.
3. Create maps and game modes with actual, considered gameplay objectives that encourage contest. Branch out from mindless 1-dimensional brawls.
3a. For the love of god, get rid of the junk on maps that randomly snares mechs.
4. Fix and properly develop in-game communications and group mechanics of all sorts throughout the entire game. It is absolutely essential for a game like this. This is not optional, the game can not succeed without it and should have been the top priority after release.
5. Communicate with your player base; Consistently, regularly, professionally and positively - get feedback and truly consider it, not only from a few friends or expert players, but deliberately from a wide selection of different segments.

This.

If you were to ask me what I think (and I am going to throw in refinement of existing features as well):

(1) Another rescale pass with objective to scale down most 35t+ mechs
(Using Locusts and pre-rescale Zeus as base)

(2) Balance Pass (revisiting .xml, and more signficant ones like breathing new life to obsolete equipment and revisiting number of hardpoints on mechs that needs it)

(3) New and revised skill tree nodes
Firstly, the skill tree is what it is today after trying to keep mixed builds from benefiting less, but more can definitely be done to further meet this goal.

- Velocity and Laser Duration could be combined instead of being single items.
- Ammo boost items (Missile Rack and Magazine Capacity) could also be combined.
- LBX Spread and Missile Spread could also be combined into a general Weapon Spread nodes.
- Cooldown could also be made to benefit ROF-based weapons (MG, RAC) as well.

Nodes with new functions would also add some excitement to gameplay. How do you like the idea of minimum range reduction nodes, for example?

(4) Revise PSR
Net Zero instead of Positive-biased.

(5) Mech Subsystem Management (inspired by Classic Battletech Tactical Operations)
Have a function that opens up a console similar to Mechlab
- Allows you to view weapon and equipment status in each section, and maybe even amount of Armor/Internals left
- Special functions like (i) selecting ammo consumption priority for each weapon, (ii) route heat sinks to weapon to trade reduction in heat output for a reduction in cooling rate.

Edited by Matthew Ace, 22 May 2020 - 04:20 AM.

#24 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:28 AM

Engine upgrade

#25 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

I posted a list earlier but as an added note, what I think they really should do is easy things that would help or be quality of life additions.
Like a full psr rework would be great but is probably a lot of work, however just resetting it or putting people back to about halfway of where they are and making the current one not so upward biased would probably be pretty easy.
Being able to search all modes that you have a mech set up for would be really nice but maybe difficult. However the FP MM just putting you on whatever side you are needed on probably wouldn't be hard, and could help with team balance.
There is a lot of things I would change about Solaris but just adding a casual mode could get a lot of people into it. I would really like if you could search both modes and multiple divs at once and just have it make it casual or ranked based on point difference but if that's to much, then just a casual mode would be helpful.
Balance pass doesn't even have to be a full rework, just a few slight changes here and there would be fine.
Urbie IIC, we have an Urbie model, we have clan tech, 1+1=Urbie IIC.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 22 May 2020 - 06:28 AM, said:

Engine upgrade

i kind of want this too but after seeing what they managed to do with a state of the art (at least at the time) modern game engine in mw5, i dont think it would make much difference. pgi could make do with the current game engine if they could find someone who knows cryengine and actually have them put in the dev time. while its easier to find people who know ue, i still dont think pgi wants to pay a programmer to put in the dev time no matter what engine. because dev time is expensive and they need to buy beer.

#27 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

Don't ask me why, but...
1. Remove coolshots. Once and for all.
2. In FP add bases like in Incursion on the attacker side. With defense turrets for the attacker, SMART drop zones, SMART walls. And something to depend on. Some electronic or something, like in Incursion mode. Let attacker have a chance to plan the attack on Radar, let fight for some important points on map or something. Scout and siege can be merged (maybe?). Defender can have something new too.
3. New maps, and rethinked old maps. Totally. Totally agree.
4. Rethinked spawn points in QP, FP. Totally.
5. New Solaris modes, free for all for many players, divisions changes, challenges only for Solaris and such.
6. Give the people peace on Earth.

Add some Battle armors to buy as consumables (bots). It shouldn't be cheap, but It can be funny. Besides I wanna play as Battle armor Posted Image

Leave mechs skill tree and quirks as it is. Maybe some changes in quirks and skill tree, dunno. Maybe the details matters. I like to think that details matters in MWO, so leave skill tree and quirks, don't delete it.

Edited by Bistrorider, 24 May 2020 - 02:11 PM.

#28 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostBistrorider, on 24 May 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

Don't ask me why, but...
1. Remove coolshots. Once and for all.
2. In FP add bases like in Incursion on the attacker side. With defense turrets for the attacker, SMART drop zones, SMART walls. And something to depend on. Some electronic or something, like in Incursion mode. Let attacker have a chance to plan the attack on Radar, let fight for some important points on map or something. Scout and siege can be merged (maybe?). Defender can have something new too.
3. New maps, and rethinked old maps. Totally. Totally agree.
4. Rethinked spawn points in QP, FP. Totally.
5. New Solaris modes, free for all for many players, divisions changes, challenges only for Solaris and such.

6. Give the people peace on Earth.

Add some Battle armors to buy as consumables (bots). It shouldn't be cheap, but It can be funny Posted Image

Leave mechs skill tree and quirks as it is. Maybe some changes in quirks and skill tree, dunno. Maybe the details matters. I like to think that details matters in MWO, so leave skill tree and quirks, don't delete it.

I think it comes with little surprise that 6.) has the highest probability to be implemented of all that .. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 24 May 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#29 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

The problem with assault mechs isnt just their spawn locations. Theyre just too slow in general.

We need higher engine caps for assaults and lower engine caps for heavies across the board. Not only would that help assaults but it would help out mediums as well.

Fast heavies broke the game the moment PGI allowed them. Heavies should never have been allowed to go as fast as mediums because it trampled all over the role of mediums while also putting slower assaults at a huge disadvantage.

As far as im concerned this game never delivered on its promise of role warfare.

And yeah assaults are way too big and should be scaled down but the amount of work that would require means it will never happen. I would be fine with assaults just getting more armor and structure quirks across the board to help mitigate their absurdly large hitboxes. But fixing engine caps and engine desync is more important IMO.

Lastly the problem with quirks isnt just overusage. Its also the fact that quirks are generic and disinteresting. There needs to be quirks that actually grant unique abilities to mechs. Like giving the thunderbolt multitargeting for example. We need less quirks but more impactful quirks that actually make mechs feel different in interesting ways.

Edited by Khobai, 25 May 2020 - 01:01 AM.

#30 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:32 AM

View PostKhobai, on 25 May 2020 - 12:46 AM, said:

The problem with assault mechs isnt just their spawn locations. Theyre just too slow in general.

We need higher engine caps for assaults and lower engine caps for heavies across the board. Not only would that help assaults but it would help out mediums as well.

Fast heavies broke the game the moment PGI allowed them. Heavies should never have been allowed to go as fast as mediums because it trampled all over the role of mediums while also putting slower assaults at a huge disadvantage.

Well, assaults should be slow, right? I think it's old problem about "don't leave assaults behind". So for me changing their speed would be like: "let get assaults quicker, because people play the way they play". But maybe some consumable thing, giving one-time speed bonus for few seconds for the assaults? Something like MASC. Maybe some new consumables, limited for class (like special consumables for lights, mediums etc.) would be something interesting to do?

#31 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:53 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 25 May 2020 - 01:32 AM, said:

Well, assaults should be slow, right? I think it's old problem about "don't leave assaults behind". So for me changing their speed would be like: "let get assaults quicker, because people play the way they play". But maybe some consumable thing, giving one-time speed bonus for few seconds for the assaults? Something like MASC. Maybe some new consumables, limited for class (like special consumables for lights, mediums etc.) would be something interesting to do?

Assaults should definitely go slower than heavies. But the disparity in speed between slow assaults and fast heavies should not be as great as it is. That disparity gap needs to be closed.

Theres also the problem of fast heavies going nearly as fast as mediums. That also should not be the case. Mediums need to be able to outrun what they cant outgun and the abundant number of fast heavies makes that impossible.

Certain heavies go too fast. And certain assaults go too slow (48kph is not a viable top speed).

I feel the speed cap for the slowest assaults should be raised to 55kph. And all but a few heavies should cap out around 70kph-75kph. That would give mediums a much needed speed advantage over most heavies.

Im not saying fast heavies shouldnt exist at all, just that fast heavies should be the exclusion and not the rule.

Edited by Khobai, 25 May 2020 - 02:12 AM.

#32 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

View PostKhobai, on 25 May 2020 - 01:53 AM, said:

Certain heavies go too fast. And certain assaults go too slow (48kph is not a viable top speed).

I feel the speed cap for the slowest assaults should be raised to 55kph. And all but a few heavies should cap out around 70kph-75kph. That would give mediums a much needed speed advantage over most heavies.

Speed cap for slowes assaults at 55kph might be a good idea. But it means changes in torso twist speed. But maybe more agile assaults can change something for better. Maybe faster torso twist could help here. Sometimes it's really hard to catch up with twisting and turning, when playing assault mech. You want assault to be deadly, not to be a deadly cow. Playing without arm lock can help a little, but you can't rely only on it. Like in case of Kodiak. I'm grounching about it whenever I play that mech. I would leave heavies as it is for now, and start from 55kph speed cap with assaults. Because you can have like domino effect if you start to tinker with mech speeds to much. Besides it's always a player choice between survivability, firepower, maneuverability. You wanna go faster, you sacrifice firepower. You wanna go XL engine in Sphere heavies, assaults, you can go down really fast. But making the slowest assaults little more faster and agile might be a good idea, and I would start from it.

#33 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

Whelp, looks like we may be getting PSR/Zero sum & reset, so that's great!!

#34 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:49 AM

One more. Maybe I missed something but there are no clan mechs on testing grounds. Only some types of Sphere mechs. For me clan mechs on testing grounds is must have. How can I study clan mechs hitpoints and the rest without clan mechs dummies? Of course I can do that in private game (like say someone: stand still Posted Image) but it's a waste of time. So maybe some random spawns for those? Half Clan, half Sphere. With all types of mechs in the pool.

#35 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:46 AM

Top 5 features MWO needs:

1) Engine updated to UE5

2) Procedurally generated maps

3) Faction play complete overhaul that makes it the go-to game mode, with Quick Play being more like "Arcade" mode.

4) BOTS that fill the ques when population is low, or entire PVE game modes.

5) Reworking of core game so as to make the game about the pilot (Roleplay elements), not about mechs

Basically, we need MWO2..

Edited by Vellron2005, 27 May 2020 - 01:47 AM.

#36 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:08 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 May 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

Top 5 features MWO needs:

1) Engine updated to UE5

2) Procedurally generated maps

3) Faction play complete overhaul that makes it the go-to game mode, with Quick Play being more like "Arcade" mode.

4) BOTS that fill the ques when population is low, or entire PVE game modes.

5) Reworking of core game so as to make the game about the pilot (Roleplay elements), not about mechs

Basically, we need MWO2..

[color=#959595]1) MWO is programmed in a old Cry 3 so no Update , UE is a very different other Engine...you can not update a T72Tank to a Abrams[/color]

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 28 May 2020 - 02:08 AM.

#37 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:36 PM

Rather then update it would be a rebuild in unreal...so basicly makeing a complete new game.

Also just changeing the engine dosn't make a game better or improve the performance automaticly. You need the people with the knowhow to actualy pull that off.

Just placeing the MWO assets into unreal won't make it look any better, worst case there are differances in how, for example, textures are handeld that lead to graphic errors or even worse performance.

#38 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:38 PM

-- Some PSR reworked (lets be real - PGI will likely not get it right)
-- MM using avg MS over last 500 games with ranges
-- isXL engines surviving loss of 1st ST and increasing penalties starting with LFE > cXL > isXL
-- Ability to raise one arm temporarily, moreso for humanod mechs
-- More Maps, including breaking up some of the larger maps into narrower maps

#39 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:00 PM

Okay, 5. I Miss being able to requeue for CW whilst waiting for the clean up. When did we get rid of that?

~Leone.

#40 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:26 AM

I want big fat searchlights in addition to vision modes.

Edited by Sergeant Destroy, 29 May 2020 - 02:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users