Dual Joystick Config?

Joystick

10 replies to this topic

#1 Uterus Maximus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:00 AM

Hello!

Will there ever be official Dual Joystick support ingame?

The only way i could get two joysticks to work is with the target software from Thrustmaster.
It kind of works but it´s not perfect.
The Config file is just emulating mouse and keyboard inputs when using joysticks. Feels a bit weard but it is ok.

But is there now way to actually use the joystick as a joystick and not for emulating M+KB inputs?

I tried playing around in the software, but as soon as i config the joystick not to emulate the mouse axis it won´t do anything ingame.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

its possible but requires some haxxoring.

i think you need a working profile for both sticks with mappings that dont clash with eachother.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 May 2020 - 10:48 AM.

#3 Uterus Maximus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 May 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

its possible but requires some haxxoring.

i think you need a working profile for both sticks with mappings that dont clash with eachother.

Thanks, you are right...
I just tried to run the profile without one stick. Now one is emulating some Keyboard stuff like throttle etc... and the other stick is working as a stick.
Nice, but i wish it could be a bit easer Posted Image

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

its in theory possible to do it without any 3rd party software. copypasta one of the existing profiles, enter vid, pid and tweak the mappings. then having one stick do axes 1 and 2, and then have the other bound to 3 and 4. same with buttons, first stick might get 1-8 and second might get 9-16. so long as the profiles dont conflict the game should use both so long as it finds them attached to the system.

im using ch control manager but its proprietary and locked into ch sticks. its more convenient for me as i use the ch software to manage my game profiles anyway. but others might work. like vjoy+freepie if you don't mind writing your control profiles in python. and even the out of game methods require you write hotas.remap entries for the virtual drivers anyway. if your software lets you map directly to keystrokes it might just be easier to map everything to the game's default key commands, then you can get away with just the axes, i do this on my ch profile.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 May 2020 - 11:28 AM.

#5 Uterus Maximus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 May 2020 - 11:15 AM, said:

its in theory possible to do it without any 3rd party software. copypasta one of the existing profiles, enter vid, pid and tweak the mappings. then having one stick do axes 1 and 2, and then have the other bound to 3 and 4. same with buttons, first stick might get 1-8 and second might get 9-16. so long as the profiles dont conflict the game should use both so long as it finds them attached to the system.

im using ch control manager but its proprietary and locked into ch sticks. its more convenient for me as i use the ch software to manage my game profiles anyway. but others might work. like vjoy+freepie if you don't mind writing your control profiles in python. and even the out of game methods require you write hotas.remap entries for the virtual drivers anyway. if your software lets you map directly to keystrokes it might just be easier to map everything to the game's default key commands, then you can get away with just the axes, i do this on my ch profile.

Ok, thanks for the tips.
Maybe i´ll try to play around with the target software. Recofiguring the profile from the thrustmaster website didn´t work. don´t why.

But thanks alot!

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:55 PM

thrustmaster users have been reporting problems with target. but its probably using a intermediate virtual driver like ch does. probably. in theory if you could find the pid/vid of that virtual driver, direct target support would be possible. as much as id like their warthog on my desk, i think for now i'm sticking with my immortal ch gear that refuses to die after a decade+ of heavy use. so ive never had the pleasure of trying to make their software work with pgi's game.

#7 Uterus Maximus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:29 AM

Oh, Thrustmaster Joysticks die "fast" ?
I don´t use them very often, but i hope that they will last a while.

Are your CH sticks some kind of secret tip? Because while i was looking what other people use for Star Citizen they haven´t been mentioned... or i didn´t see.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:13 PM

View PostUterus Maximus, on 23 May 2020 - 12:29 AM, said:

Oh, Thrustmaster Joysticks die "fast" ?
I don´t use them very often, but i hope that they will last a while.

Are your CH sticks some kind of secret tip? Because while i was looking what other people use for Star Citizen they haven´t been mentioned... or i didn´t see.

i cant speak to thrustmaster durability as ive never owned one. its just ch joysticks are notorious for lasting an eternity. granted you aren't getting any state of the art features or even good axis resolution with ch. but the gimbals are nice and smooth and it has independant x/y return springs so you can get the tactile feedback on both axes unlike sticks with single spring return mechanisms (saitek). ive had poor experience with saitek, i cant get more than a couple years out of one of their sticks before something breaks.

im thinking of doing a sensor conversion on my fighterstick. with a fancy double ended 16 bit delta sigma adc, hall sensors, and maybe bluetooth. run that off of either an arduino or an esp32 depending on whether i want wireless or not.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 May 2020 - 12:27 PM.

#9 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:17 PM

Posted Image

Someone needs to get this thing working with it :D

#10 Uterus Maximus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 May 2020 - 12:13 PM, said:

i cant speak to thrustmaster durability as ive never owned one. its just ch joysticks are notorious for lasting an eternity. granted you aren't getting any state of the art features or even good axis resolution with ch. but the gimbals are nice and smooth and it has independant x/y return springs so you can get the tactile feedback on both axes unlike sticks with single spring return mechanisms (saitek). ive had poor experience with saitek, i cant get more than a couple years out of one of their sticks before something breaks.

im thinking of doing a sensor conversion on my fighterstick. with a fancy double ended 16 bit delta sigma adc, hall sensors, and maybe bluetooth. run that off of either an arduino or an esp32 depending on whether i want wireless or not.

Ok, thanks. Sounds interesting. I will keep that in mind in case my joysticks give up =)

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:58 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 23 May 2020 - 12:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

Someone needs to get this thing working with it Posted Image

i think id just gut it and replace the electronics with an arduino (get one that is hid capable like a leo or due). might require some circuit bending techniques to break out all the buttons.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 May 2020 - 01:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users