Mwo2: Thoughts On Getting This Started

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lionheart2012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Perhaps someone else has had a similar idea. And with the apparent renewal of the MW license, perhaps it is time to look into MWO2.

Engine
My first thought is that a new engine is needed, and perhaps Unreal could be used. In fact, I am curious about whether much of the MW5 game could be ported over into a mult-player PVP. This may also help in delivering more maps, as there are already several in MW5 that could be adapted. Although, more with verticality would be appreciated.

Mechlab
I would also like to see if the small, medium, large hardpoint system could be adapted for MWO2. In my mind, it would not be a straight copy, rather a hybrid of the MWO and MW5 systems. On the one hand, weapons would reflect their BT critical slots and weight, but on the other hand, the size of the weapon would be limited by its chassis location (or omnipod) to small, medium, or large, as in MW5. Or even more simply, large weapons require two hardpoints, while medium and small weapons require only one. While this may reduce some of the flexibility to customize Battlemechs, it may solve the high alpha problem and allow us to eliminate the ghost heat mechanic and charging Gauss rifles.

Features:
  • All Battlemechs in game currently
  • All weapons and equipment in game currently
  • Competitive, Group, 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, training, testing, and faction play modes
Transition:
This is likely the key point. To port this over, PGI will need funding, especially with the tall order of getting all of the existing Battlemechs into the new game. I suggest that, as with MWO's launch, MWO2 should have a founders program. It would be a starter package of 'Mechs, MC, premium time, and perhaps GSP. However, with all the content that already exists in MWO, it is likely unreasonable to expect players of MWO to buy all of their Battlemechs again. So I suggest a conversion fee based on the number of Battlemechs that an individual account has in its garage at the time of announcement (to avoid chicanery). I suggest a US$2.50 conversion fee per Battlemech, to a maximum of US$500, and everything beyond 200 mechs would be converted for free. This has the benefit of setting a maximum limit for whales (I have 320, currently.), while smaller accounts could support the transition at more modest levels.

I welcome your thoughts.

#2 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

Already said the same thing in another thread, r/t using the MW5 engine.

I like the idea of porting over your old mechs. Sort of like how world of warcraft does "expansions" you get to keep all your old stuff, it just lets you add more content. I don't like the idea of having to pay for each mech. I don't have that many mechs anyways.

The jump jet physics of MWO are terrible. MW5 has much more realistic physics. And I love the destructible environment.

I think they would need to tweek the user interface to be more like MWO though, MW5 FEELS a lot different.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:53 PM

i had an idea where mwo2 would just be a big unending battle of tukayyid. one big megamap, thousands of square kilometers, with myriads of bases, outposts, field bases, repair facilities, mech/weapon factories and other targets of interest. all capable, upgradeable, expandable, etc. essentially the game would be terrain control from living legends on a much larger scale.

use the hardpoint system of mw5 with some tweaks. its good for keeping boating under control but renders a lot of mechs as useless ballast. actually i really liked the mw4 system but expand it to include non-weapon equipment rather than the array of checkboxes. if its gonna be f2p, mw5 style equipment diversity would be a good idea. you could do premium equipment, where it still conforms to a class spec (it only makes trade offs so its power equivalent to the baseline), but might come with cooler effects or a more awesome looking external model.

that said i think its unlikely. i dont think either game was successful. especially with how many people are scoring mw5 for peanuts now. and mwo had development problems that are stilll unresolved in a lot of cases, which means they were never making enough money to hire the proper personnel.

#4 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:08 AM

[color=#959595]i had an idea where mwo2 would just be a big unending battle of tukayyid. one big megamap, thousands of square kilometers, with myriads of bases, outposts, field bases, repair facilities, mech/weapon factories and other targets of interest. all capable, upgradeable, expandable, etc. essentially the game would be terrain control from living legends on a much larger scale.[/color]

Hi Lord Nothing :) and NPC Units ? how many Games like tahts its give ? im thinking we must wait long to the Hardware thats can handle this (Infantry in MW5 bring the Engine to his limits,and with procedual Terrain many terrainlimits )

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 02 July 2020 - 02:08 AM, said:

Hi Lord Nothing Posted Image and NPC Units ? how many Games like tahts its give ? im thinking we must wait long to the Hardware thats can handle this (Infantry in MW5 bring the Engine to his limits,and with procedual Terrain many terrainlimits )

you would probably need npcs with a megamap. like outposts might have ai defenders, mechs and other vehicles. i see logistics being a thing and so you might also have npc convoys with their being consequences for losing or failing to kill a convoy. low skilled players could fight npcs exclusively if they want, but actual high skill units are going to be going out to fight other players on the front lines. but its going to be done in a way where the distance from the home base effects the kind of tonnage and other resources you can bring to bear. bringing your base closer to the lines means its harder to defend but can do more damage. if you have enough funds you can buy a dropship so you can extend your range.

i dont see any technical hangups, megamaps have been used in lots of games already. probably do a thing where you stream in terrain blocks which might be procedurally generated on other cores. using like 2km terrain tiles should allow for things like firemoths zooming around. keep the closest 4 tiles loaded at all times, more with dynamic lod-ing for background terrain. most of the actual combat will be done at ranges <1km.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users