Ends: June 1 00:00 UTC

#2 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

Is Solaris even a thing if you don't bring your own opponent anymore?

#3 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

I'll play tomorrow lol

#4 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

See you boys and girls there!

Oh, and please let me win a round ;)

#5 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, this'll be interesting. I just started a F2P account a couple weeks ago, and so far only have the 1st 4 'mech bays and 'mechs for a Faction drop deck. They're definitely not ones I've ever used in Solaris, and two are in the same division. So I need 7 more 'mech bays in the next month so I can buy Solaris-specific 'mechs and build them out. At least I've suddenly got 200 GSP to help skill them partway. I was kinda hoping to save the MC for warhorns and earn the 'mech bays from Faction. As I said: this'll be interesting. :) I'm definitely understanding why I jumped on the first MC sale that came along when I originally started, because these events were rare, and MC rewards even rarer, 5 years ago (although 'mech bay rewards were a lot more common...).

#6 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

700 MC give away is sad? On average, getting victories in this mode is not as easy as it seems.

#7 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:18 PM

Bias towards people that can win in Solaris. NEXT EVENT PLEASE. (this is a joke BTW)

I mean I doubt I'll be able to win to earn these rewards but still good to see events for various modes.

#8 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:54 AM

To be sorta fair, if you want to improve your personal skill, then Solaris is the place to go. Unless you are in a unit that actively practices against each other.

The onus is on yourself to get better at the game. :)

#9 Dakkonn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:58 PM

View PostBolo Atari, on 26 May 2020 - 04:54 AM, said:

To be sorta fair, if you want to improve your personal skill, then Solaris is the place to go. Unless you are in a unit that actively practices against each other.

The onus is on yourself to get better at the game. Posted Image

Well unless you think I can win with Trail mechs lol.

I do ok in QP (fine damage with positive kdr) So I'd imagine I'd do ok in Arena against similar skilled players. Issue is I don't have many mechs to build from. Nor the C-Bills to build. So for now I'm stuck grinding QP.

I do understand arena will be a good place to get better but ya still need at least semi optimized mechs to compete I'd wager :)

#10 Leidulfr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:02 PM

View PostDakkonn, on 26 May 2020 - 08:58 PM, said:

Well unless you think I can win with Trail mechs lol.

I do ok in QP (fine damage with positive kdr) So I'd imagine I'd do ok in Arena against similar skilled players. Issue is I don't have many mechs to build from. Nor the C-Bills to build. So for now I'm stuck grinding QP.

I do understand arena will be a good place to get better but ya still need at least semi optimized mechs to compete I'd wager Posted Image

This was my point before I decided to just delete my post, because it appeared to have fallen on deaf ears. My wife is in the exact same position as you, being a new player. Those who already have mech bays and mechs built for and skilled for 1v1 don't really need the MC, where as those who can still help their team with trial mechs in QP could use the MC so they can better help their teams in QP and so they could actually effectively play Solaris and Faction Play. Furthermore, giving them a real chance to earn MC so they can get mechs for themselves gives them more incentive to keep playing. They'll be able to work on mastering their very own mechs. Being stomped by players who already have their own mechs in Solaris won't entice newbies to return to the mode. The rewards just seem backwards to me. I guess maybe it's purposefully done in an attempt to get F2P newbies to purchase MC, once they realize they kind of need their own mechs for Solaris and Faction Play if they want to seriously try out those modes.

#11 That Mech

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:54 PM

Alternatively, have a 50% off sale for all Solaris mechs during the event...

Who am I kidding.

#12 Lance McRaven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMentor, Ohio

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:10 PM

I run Solaris every now and then. I usually will run a QP mech, and once I get crushed by nonplayers with META mechs, I go back to QP. Then, after I forget how ridiculous the builds can be, I go back, just to be crushed again. I would love to see a Solaris META mech in QP. They wouldn't hold up.

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

View PostLance McRaven, on 28 May 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

I run Solaris every now and then. I usually will run a QP mech, and once I get crushed by nonplayers with META mechs, I go back to QP. Then, after I forget how ridiculous the builds can be, I go back, just to be crushed again. I would love to see a Solaris META mech in QP. They wouldn't hold up.

And this is something bad because...?

#14 Panabas

Rookie

• Cadet
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:06 AM

Solaris won't work because they can't balance customisation and 1vs1/2v2 differently for this and then QP. They should restrict users to stock decks, in my opinion, for it to only be about pure skill and balance easier from these limitations...separately from QP as well. This would be common sense in any other game, in my opinion.

Edited by Panabas, 29 May 2020 - 01:08 AM.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:14 AM

with the save/load option, loadouts and skilltree setups are mere clicks away to change. It's obvious that 12v12, 1v1 and 2v2 follow very different rules and preconditions.

Stock loadouts would change nothing. There would be some somewhat viable chassis in every division, but most of them would be utterly useless. Also clan mechs would be mostly op, since all of them always use DHS or XL engines (for example) stock, against many IS mechs that run only 3025 tech.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 29 May 2020 - 01:17 AM.

#16 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:03 PM

Just came here to say: I'll never play Solaris 7 or Competitive modes, they're selfish and boring for me

Edited by technopredator, 30 May 2020 - 04:24 PM.

#17 -P U R E-

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 71 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:37 AM

What is selfish and boring in playin' 1v1,2v2 or comp?
Lack of rotation around 1 rock in the middle?
LRMs not working so well?
Or because You need to prepare at least half-decent build to play it?

#18 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:25 PM

It's called no teamwork, too little to do. I have played with less than 12vs12 and it's selfish and boring, for me, in 12vs12 a build that is not decent will kill you even faster, so more players means more competition too

#19 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:57 AM

Just in case PGI is paying ANY attention to this thread, it's obvious they didn't bother moving 'mechs around for the Solaris reset this season: The Marauder-4A(S) is Division 2, while the Marauder-4A is Division 3.... Please tell me: apart from the paint job and acquisition method, what is different between those two 'mechs that makes them worthy of two different divisions? I repurchased the standard-4A just to play them in the two different divisions (I'm having a hard time finding builds that work against the meta in some divisions). I might sell it again once they fix their mistake (which persisted through the entire last season, and probably the one before that).

#20 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:07 AM

As much as I love stock 'mechs (and play them in QP and Faction), there are definitely builds that will dominate the arenas over and above the competition. Any 'mech that comes fully armored with mass dakka is pretty much going to rule the day. The Corsair-5T is defeating heavily customized meta 'mechs in its stock configuration, already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users